Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello doggy parents. My puppy born January 17 2017, had a sudden bout of uncontrollable diarrhea and fatigue a couple weeks ago. I freaked out thinking it might be parvo even though he has had the vaccine 4 times. So I took him to the vet and his parvo test was negative thank goodness. It started on a Friday and I took him in on Monday when they opened so it was going on all weekend. Then they sent in a fecal test for giardia and treated him with two medications but it was negative for anything. That Monday after I brought him home he wasn't out of control anymore. But he has been still having loose stools, very loose, ever since. When the fecal sample came back negative they just told me there are a lot of reasons puppies have diarrhea. I love it when vets do that after you've paid them a bunch. "Could be anything. Dunno."

When I was waiting for the fecal test results to come back and doing research on giardia I calculated that he started having these symptoms 8 or 9 days after going to doggy daycare for the first time (and only time) at PetSmart. It's possible that affected him. I wasn't real impressed by them bringing up "stress" as a possible cause when it was such a sudden and violent onset and nothing had changed in his life except for one day in dog daycare NINE days before.

Please let me know if you have any ideas, or if you had a similar experience and it was resolved. Ever since adoption April 1st, he has been on Science Diet Puppy Healthy Development and I considered changing his food but I don't see how that could be the cause seeing as he was perfectly fine and then suddenly hit with something that seemed more like a sickness. I don't want to make it worse by changing food. TIA

ps
Also I want to add that I feed him 3 1/2 cups per day because he is almost 40 lbs and the package recommends 4 cups per day for a 40 pound puppy under nine months of age. I feed him three times per day, 1 cup in the morning, 1 at lunch, and 1 1/2 for dinner. I have adjusted the food per the package guidelines his whole life since I got him.

pps
When it first started it looked more like constipation. He was trying and trying and unable to go. Now, just yesterday, I saw him straining and unable to go again. Also, I am seeing some poops in the yard that look normal and some that don't. So it's not consistent: diarrhea, constipation, normal. Also just fyi, I do not have grass in the yard, it's rock landscaping. I don't leave him alone ever, but he comes and goes from the yard. I have never seen him eating the rocks. On the fecal scoring chart on this site http://www.akc.org/content/health/articles/doggie-diarrhea/ he is at a 6 (but there are some out there that look like a 2 also).

·
Registered
192 Posts
We can't give medical advice on the forum but if you're still worried seeing the vet again (or if need be a different one) is definitely an option.

·
Registered
17,925 Posts
Two of my last four puppies had massive diarrhea at points. One was from 'garbage gut' that took forever to clear, and there had to be fasting and an extended period of bland meals - and antibiotics as there was some infection going on. The other I think the issue was actually coccidia but it also took a while to clear and if I'm not mistake there can be some 'false negatives' with most of the microbic parasites.

Honestly, it resolves but it's a pain and sometimes they get into cycles where they're inflammed from the diarrhea and then the inflammation causes the diarrhea (and sometimes just causes them to think they have to go when they don't have anything there to pass yet) -

basically it can be a lot of stuff, but stay in touch with your vet, be prepared for multiple fecals, and breathe. It will pass.

Or may already have passed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CptJack thank you for the encouragement. I am feeling insecure in my ability to be the best puppy mommy for him. Originally they gave him metronidazole and panacur when they thought it was giardia and now they gave him tylosin. So hopefully that does it. I looked up Tylosin and it treats coccidia among other things.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello! I have a puppy as well - a 4-month old Chesapeake Bay Retriever. Around 3 months of age, he had liquid diarrhea and loose stools. All his tests came back negative as well, and the vet attributed it to something he got into. He gave us Purina FortiFlora. This product, at least in my experience, was GREAT. The loose stools stopped in a day and they were back to normal. He was on that (one packet per day) for a month, but I bought some more off Amazon to keep on standby in case he's loose again. I also took his suggestion to keep up his natural stomach flora with a lesser daily probiotic which is not so strong as the Fortiflora of Nature's Farmacy Digestive Enhancer (one scoop per day) at lunch. Since he's been on this regimen, his poops have been great! I've left the links below:

https://www.amazon.com/Purina-Fortiflora-Canine-Nutritional-Supplement/dp/B001650NNW
https://naturesfarmacy.com/featured/dogzymes-digestive-enhancer.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts