Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm asking this question here because I am wondering if it is her diet that is the problem.

We have a 9 month old boxer mix, Callie. We have had her for 2 months now. She was a rescue dog and from what we were told she was thrown from a truck. The shelter had her for a week before we started to foster her. Callie is fully ours now, we adopted her a month ago.

When we got her she had kennel cough and the shelter put her on antibiotics. All good with that now. Then she got an ear infection, her ears are not clipped so yes they fold over. So ear infection not uncommon. She was placed on meds for 3 weeks. That's all done and fine now. She been off those meds for a week now.

Problem is ever since we got her she has had soft stool. I know meds can do that so I wasn't worried before. She acts fine other wise, very hyper and full of energy. Sometimes to much but that's all good. We have had her stool checked and it is fine. She is now on trifexis, her second dosage is due on the 15th. It comes from the vet not a website.

We have no idea what she was on before and the shelter feeds them Diamond. We have since transited her over to Kirkland. She is on a mix of their puppy (9 months old remember) and the Nature's Domain Grain-Free all life stage. Our other dog, 18 month old is on Kirkland and has done great on it.

The only other thing in Callie's diet is Pollock oil which I just started this week. Treats are normally the better ones or jerky that we make at home from lean meats, no cheap milk bones.

Like I said she acts fine but stool is softer then I think is right. I know grains in their diet can be an issue.

With 2 dogs I'm trying to come up with something that works for both. Once Callie is off the puppy going just with the Grain Free food. Here is a link on what is in the dog food, http://www.kirklandsignaturepetsupplies.com/natures-domain-brand

Chewie, other dog, was fine on it plus it does have probiotics and natural prebiotic fiber from dried chicory root help maintain the proper balance of beneficial bacteria in your dog’s intestines.

They both get some wet added to their dry for breakfast but then straight dry later.

This is my big quest: is it ok and safe that I add some pure pumpkin or low fat yogurt to Callie's diet as a regular thing? She is fully grown, 45 lbs but may fill out some more. She was undernutrition when we got her. Ribs were showing even more than what it should for a boxer. Right now she is not total grain free but thinking that might be the way to go.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Try reducing her feed by 10% for a day. If you are overfeeding her and that is the problem it will resolve in that short a time. If you need to feed her up and she loses weight getting a little less food then either add another meal a day or switch to a more nutrient dense food. If you are overfeeding her a bit it is possible she won't lose weight though as she isn't digesting it efficiently now anyway.

I tried feeding more food to Sassy as she was getting too thin, she just pooped it out without gaining weight so I gave up. Later she stopped being able to hold the food she needed to maintain weight in 3 meals a day but if I split it into 4-5 meals she could hold it down and digest it well.

Fine to add pumpkin or yogurt to food so long as the dog tolerates it. Some dogs don't do well with dairy, some don't do well with more fiber. Try a little at a time and watch carefully. When Sassy was recovering from food poisoning her stool didn't get completely normal until I mixed a little pumpkin in. Never have seen an improvement with probiotics but that's just me. Lots of people see good results with probiotics.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
You can add pumpkin daily, but I would try to figure out the food issues first.

I agree with Kathyy to try cutting back on food a bit. She may be getting too much.

The Pollock oil could also be causing loose stool. How many treats is she getting? Very rick things can give some dogs loose stool.

Basically, I would cut back to everything but kibble for a couple days or a week and see how she does, then start adding things back.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I kept reading about probiotics. She been adding weight but she needed to, way to skinny before. She is starting to look healthy so yea it may be time to cut back a little. I know boxers are slender dogs but we could see a lot of her ribs before. You can still see some now but vet says she is healthy, 45 lbs. We were told that she may fill out a little more but shouldn't really get much bigger.

Truth I'm not really sure how much they should be eating. She is a boxer mix 9 months old and are other is a lab/Aussie mix at 55 lbs (18 months old). They are very active, play all the time. During the day they are crated while we work. Yea our other was getting into everything when not crated. But it's game on once out.

So how much should they be getting feed? Neither over eat meaning that there have been days that there is food left over. Callie will even eat just a little, walk away and go back an 1/2 hour later wanting a little more.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Wow, food left over? Never have I seen that! If she is leaving food then she is probably getting too much. I know a yorkie who ate one can of Cesar promptly but was left another can to nibble on all night long, she was a piglet weighing twice what she should have.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I would figure out how many calories she's getting in total (kibble, wet food, treats). Then compare to a standard chart like this one: http://www.animalmedicalcenterofchicago.com/pdf/CalorieRequirementsForDogs.pdf

Then keep in mind that most of the calories charts are for intact dogs who have a higher metabolism, so you will likely be feeding less.

I would also be concerned about food being left over. I've never seen a dog do that and it may be an indication that she's getting way too much. Or it could be that she's picky. I would pick up the bowl after 10min and if she didn't finish then oh well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We just started the Pollock oil on Monday and its now Thursday and this was a problem before. I didn't want her taking that with the meds.

Cutting back all will be easy. Our other girl ate something that didn't agree with her and the vet put her on meds and Science Diet I/D for 5 days then slowly put her back on her regular food. So last night I decided no treats for anyone for a week.

I never thought of it as left over means to much. I'll take a look at the link and figure things out. I might then do 3 feedings a day. One in the morning, second when I come home and a third later and see how it goes.

They sleep in our bedroom and they wake me if they have to go out at night so no issues with messes during the night.

Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
wow,

I did the math at lest I think I did.

Callie is 45 lbs so 1346 cal
Chewie is 55 lbs so 1077

Both are fixed.

Dry food is 3,590 kcals/kg (336 kcals/cup)
Wet food is 950 kcal/kg, 370.6 kcal/can(13.2 OZ). They get 1/4 cup so that is 56 cal if I did the math right

They get 1/4 cup with dry in morning, then rest in evening. with weight and adding the 1/4 cup of wet I'm looking at 3 cups for Chewie and 3.8 cups for Callie (lets say 3.5 cups to drop it a little).

Question... is all life stage really ok for all ages? I've heard that it is really just puppy food and that adult dogs will just add weight from it.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
wow,

I did the math at lest I think I did.

Callie is 45 lbs so 1346 cal
Chewie is 55 lbs so 1077

Both are fixed.

Dry food is 3,590 kcals/kg (336 kcals/cup)
Wet food is 950 kcal/kg, 370.6 kcal/can(13.2 OZ). They get 1/4 cup so that is 56 cal if I did the math right

They get 1/4 cup with dry in morning, then rest in evening. with weight and adding the 1/4 cup of wet I'm looking at 3 cups for Chewie and 3.8 cups for Callie (lets say 3.5 cups to drop it a little).

Question... is all life stage really ok for all ages? I've heard that it is really just puppy food and that adult dogs will just add weight from it.
I don't feed puppy food, I feed all life stages food. But the food itself is not as important as the calories. If you feed one cup of a low calorie food, then switch to one cup of a high calorie food, then sure the dog will gain weight because you've increased his calories.

I got similar slightly different results than you:
45lb female should be 1077-1346 calories (yes, she's 9 months, but her growth has slowed a lot so maybe she's more like 1200)
55lb female should be 1253 calories

So 56cal of wet food leaves about 1144 calories left (I just assumed 1200 for both of them) which is 3.4 cups.

How much are they currently getting?

Also remember that most people find those calorie calculators to be overkill to keep their dogs at a good weight. So don't assume that number is the best amount to feed them, it's just a good starting point.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ever seen those tv commercials where the parent is anal with her first born and so not with the second. Well welcome to me. I was so picky with Chewie but got more layed back once Callie came along. Callie was under feed so we would do breakfast and then I say 3.5 cups maybe even 4 cups in one bowl and 3.5 in the other. That amount went in the bowl later in the day and left for them. Callie was the one usually eating more of the two but ok since she needed to put weight on. I say this because she is at the bowl more often.
Chewie before got just 3 cups a day plus the wet and when it was just her I knew how much she got. Now we are doing the same thing, breakfast and then just in the bowl through out the evening and I'm wounder (always was) if Callie is eating more then she should but kept saying that she needed to put weight on so its ok.

Now that she has I need to set up a better system and this would be a good time to do that. Idea is breakfast like normal. then 1.5 cups when I get home and another 1.5 that evening. I'll add a spoonful of pumpkin. One to help with the stool and 2 to help train this new system. After a week I can then start taking the pumpkin away and see how she does with out it, see where the stool is then.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I would feed them in separate bowls and even put them in separate rooms if needed so you know how much each is getting. It's hard to diagnose if an animal is off their food or over eating if they share. My rabbits share (not really a good way to separate rabbits as they are more grazers than dogs) and it's a pain because I can't tell exactly who is eating what, and I can't control if one is taking too much.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ok update.

With Chewie on special food this was a great time to figure things out (She got into something so she is on I/D for a week so eating separately is a must).

I am giving Callie 3.5 cups a day and truth is this is more then what she was getting. But I'm going to stick with it and see how it goes. Right now I give her 2 spoonful of pumpkin with her 2 late meals, breakfast is mixed with her can stuff. Plan is to keep the pumpkin through Wednesday. Kind of a way to train her on this new schedule.

I'm going to stop the pumpkin and see how she does. Her stool right now is still soft. Her one pile from yesterday wasn't as soft as some of the other. I'll just have to see if I can keep up with that, hard with 2 dogs who have a fenced in yard to run in. If still soft this weekend then I'll see about dropping it to 3 cups plus the wet. If still like soft after another week then grain free. Right now there are no treats.

She is healthy and happy otherwise. It might have been from being on meds for over a month. Just will have to see.

Any other ideas would be great.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Make sure the jerky is made in the USA and not over seas, that's important.

On the food, dogs are funny, we fed all the "good " foods that everyone swore by, natures variety, back to basics (when it was around), earthborn holistic, etc ... My boy couldnt handle the protein being from meat, he does better on a food that derives its protein from plants like pea protein and pea fiber... weird I know, but his poop is better than it has ever been, that and I feed digestive enzymes, along with a supplement called "Nupro" and the enzyme I feed is made by the same people I believe, its NaturVet, and chewy.com carries both. I highly recommend them, they are super nice people and when you call you always talk to a real person!

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
If that's more than she was getting before, I wouldn't increase just because the calorie chart says you should. I would keep her at the level you think she was eating, and maybe even reduce from there.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Make sure the jerky is made in the USA and not over seas, that's important. /QUOTE]

We make our own jerky. Get the meat and use a dehydrator, chicken or beef. If we get the extra rabbit meat then they will get a nice surprise. It is so much cheaper that way and we love doing it for them. SPOILED

and elrohwen I'll do that. Tks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts