Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings guys (and girls)! I have a bit of a situation on my hands, and I was hoping for some suggestions on the matter. Here's the thing:

About a year ago, my girlfriend acquired a 2 year old female Siberian Husky from a friend who was moving away and couldn't take the dog along. In the previous owner's house Sasha (the dog's name) cohabited with 2 other huskies (one male and one female, both older). Since the beginning we knew she was gonna be a handful just because of her very energetic nature. At first she had some considerable behavior problems (didn't pay attention to our calls, had a serious mouthing problem, tore stuff up). Generally she behaves better when I'm around cause I've always been "assertive" towards her. After a year living with my girlfriend she has made some huge improvements. She pays more attention, the mouthing problem is a fraction of what once was, and she has become very affectous. Still, when she is introduce to new humans she gets a little bit to excited which causes fear in most of the people. She never gets aggressive but usually gets a bit invasive and starts to ignore calls and commands. With other dogs the problem is a bit more serious. With every dog she meets (big,small) she becomes more of a bully. It's not that she attacks them, but she "likes to play rough" and she ignores the warnings of the other dogs. If the other dogs runs she becomes even more excited and chases after them usually nipping their legs or jumping on top of them. If the dog ignores her, she becomes desperate and begins barking at the other dog to gain their attention.

My girlfriend and I have basically 8 months or so to try to correct this problem. In the next January we are suppose to go for a semester to Europe through a student exchange program, and the only person that can take care of Sasha is my mom. My mom is pretty comfortable around her and Sasha respects my mom considerably. The problem is that there are two other dogs (a mixbreed,8 years old, and a dachshund, 8 months old, both female) in my moms and they have been bullied my the husky in previous meetings. I've really ran out of ideas to make things work.. Is there anything I can do to help the dogs socialize better?? Should I take Sasha to a professional to help with her behavior?? My plan was to spend the summer bringing Sasha over to my mom's expose her more to the other dogs, in hopes of them becoming more comfotable around her and in hopes of opportunities to teach Shanna to behave around other dogs... :confused: Anyway I'm very open to suggestions.. please help!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Very good description/background and plan. Yes, you need some pro help on this.
It sounds like the early socialization was lax and now she's missing some social skills. That early deficit can't be erased entirely but, you can make things more manageable.
Ask the pro about fixing the human interaction first...how to teach her the proper meet and greet skills with your friends, etc. That sets her up for learning some self-restraint which can carry over into the dog on dog, which is harder anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So there's no other way around it than to hire a pro?? I guess that'll have to do.. Is there any exercises or choice I can practice with the dog in the mean time? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
The human interaction is something you can practice. The first question is what exactly do you want her to do when someone comes to the door or when you meet someone on the street. Sit? Hold the sit for petting/introductions?
It's best that you do the meet and greets first and then she gets to say Hello. That's the self-restraint part and she will start looking to you for her cues...paying attention to you which helps with basic commands in other circumstances.
For the dog on dog, she really needs a well socialized role model to interact with and learn from. Pros will have access to a dog or two for that training. They will also be able to assess her attitude, see her behaviors first hand and take the appropriate steps.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
You could be describing one of my dogs, B'asia. She came to us late and wasn't properly socialized, so didn't know how to act around other dogs. She was fearful, bossy and mouthy. We worked with a professional and did CAT Constructional Aggression Treatment and we began to see improvement after a couple of sessions. I would suggest you read all you can about this method and work with yours and your mom's dogs all you can in the interim before you leave.

TooneyDogs suggestion of a well-socialized role model is an excellent one, in my opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow.. thnx a lot guys.. I'll get to it immediately... FourIsCompany.. how much time did it take B'asia to fully respond to the training??

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
We only did about 8 1-hour lessons and she's still a little nervous around other new dogs, but she's a LOT better.

Edit: In the beginning, she was bossy if let off leash and acted aggressive if we kept her on the leash. It was very hard to go anywhere, even the vet. But now, when we're at the vet, if another big dog comes in, she starts to act aggressive and I turn her around and face her the other way until she calms down, then she's fine. It's like she has to be reminded and then realizes, "Oh, yeah, I don't do that anymore". :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts