Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have a 2 year old male shiba inu and my uncle has recently adopted two male and female rottweiler puppies (they are both 5 months old) I would like to have them play in the backyard in peace but my shiba always seems to tense up and responds by being aggressive. Is there any way i can my shiba to not be so tense around other dogs? please help !

·
Registered
281 Posts
Describe the "aggression"
I know some dogs get very protective about their territory, and aren't always too keen about letting other dogs, people, etc into that area. Your uncle's dogs aren't exactly "puppies" anymore so I wouldn't be surprised if your Shiba is being more territorial and setting rules and boundaries.

However, have them all meet in a neutral area that isn't any dogs territory and then try having them all greet eachother, if it goes well THEN bring them back home and see how they act with eachother.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Shibas (and the Nihon ken in general) aren't known for their friendliness with other dogs. Not that they can't be, but its not in their nature to be laid-back and accepting. Is your Shiba neutered? I'm guessing the 5 month old Rotties are his size or bigger? My TRD had issues with dogs that were larger than him. Many of the Asian breeds love their people and really could care less about other people and especially other dogs. Yes--you should train your dog, but training can do only so much to counter genetics that have been passed down for centuries. I say, try to teach him to be accepting of being around the other dogs, but embrace the fact that he wants to be your little emperor! :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
How is your Shiba with other dogs? Is he just that way with your uncle's dogs or all dogs?
I socialized the hell out of my Shiba from the time I got him at 8 weeks old. The result is that he loves meeting and playing with any dog he encounters. Shibas also have a rougher than normal play style, so he tends to do better with dogs larger than him. He absolutely loves the Rottie down the street from us.
Here's a couple pics with one of his buddies.
Kiba_and_Bullet.JPG IMG_0474.JPG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts