Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently adopted an 18 month old Pit Bull mix named Matteo. He's really a great dog. He listens well, is learning to become submissive and has made great progress for just the week that I've had him. The one problem I am having though, is that he is NOT getting along with other dogs. There is a calm, submissive, pit mix across the street that he cannot socialize with without becoming dominant and aggresive. He is also like this with many other dogs around the neighborhood. I really want to be able to take him to the dog park and have him run around and socialize with other dogs but I'm afraid he's going to cause a ruckus. He is neutered.

Any suggestions on how to calm him around other dogs?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
What do you mean by dominate and being aggressive? What exactly is he doing? BTW...how and why are you making your dog submissive? Could that be part of your socialization problems now?

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Okay, for starts.. NO DOG PARK. NOT NOW, NOT EVER. Not with a Pit Bull. These are dogs who were BRED to fight other dogs. Putting them in a situation as stressful as a dog park is, with dozens of unknown and unruly dogs, is asking for trouble. If your dog doesn't start the fight, he WILL finish it.

What you are seeing is what happens with some Pits. They can mature into dog-aggressive adults, or develop intolerances for certain dogs (by breed, size, gender, etc). This is not an issue that can be "fixed," per se. But it can be managed with training and diligence.

Your dog may never be able to play with other dogs, or may only do well with certain dogs (INDIVIDUALLY, NOT dog parks). That won't make him less happy; dogs don't need to socialize with other dogs to be happy. It will, however, keep him safe.

You may also want to contact a trainer/behaviorist.

I hope Zim chimes in on this thread, as she has a Dog-Aggro Pit female who she has done extensive work with.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Dog aggression is something the has been bred into the Pit. It's instinct some individuals have it and some don't, but in the ones who have it it is impossable to get rid of. You may be able to control it with professional training but it's not something I would attemp to do on your own simply because of the high probably of serious injury.

I know your new here so we might seem like we hate pits by our responces. but it couldn't be farther from the truth. I love Pits I think they are adorable, and every pit I have ever met has been a cuddle monster. But in contrast every pit I have ever met has been very dog aggressive except one.

Herding dogs tend to have a built in instinct to chase things

Earth Terriers tend to have a built in instinct to kill small animals

Sighthounds tend to have a built in instinct to spot things in the distance and try to catch them

Scent hound tend to have a built in instinct to follow smells

Retrievers Tend to have a built in instinct to bring things to their owners

and Fighting Terriers tend to have a built in instinct to kill other dogs.

as you can tell I'm not trying to be against a certain breed but when a breed is bred to do something for hundreds of years it just becomes instinct.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.