Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Belle will get her first set of vaccinations in a few days. I'd like to be able to start socializing her with other dogs soon, so I'm wondering when it's possible to do this safely. My best friend has a 2 year old vaccinated and neutered Jack Russell Terrier who we want to introduce her to. Should I wait until after her first set of vaccinations? Or until they're all complete? (3 doses).

Thank you!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
As long as you know the other dog is vaxxed, it's fine. It's public places where you don't know every dog's vax history that you need to avoid.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Especially don't be like the guy I saw at the dog park this morning with a new 11 week-old puppy. I actually was concerned enough to ask if their dog had had all her shots, and when they said no, I said something along the lines of "You really, really shouldn't have your puppy here...I can't think of a dirtier, more microbe-and-parasite-filled place than this dog park."

The guy's' response? "Oh, dirty, you mean because there's mud right there? You think I should lock my puppy in a cage?" Um, no. :doh:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dog park is definitely out of the question until she is fully vaccinated, and socialized enough! I really want her to meet Jack soon to get her used to other dogs, but I also don't want to risk her health.

·
Registered
174 Posts
As others stated before, dog parks and places like Petsmart are a no go. Its just too big of a risk exposing your pup to all the unvaccinated dogs and contagions out there. I think socializing with a known fully vaccinated and healthy dog is fine. When I got Kaida the only other dog she was allowed around was my Doberman until her shots were completed. People out here don't usually vaccinate for anything other than rabies since its state mandated, I just didn't want to chance distemper, kennel cough or parvo.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I will not take my newest pups Lucy and Desi out to socialize with dogs in dog parks and pack walks until they are fully vaccinated. We have taken them to PetsMart, etc. while looking for items such as collars and harnesses that required fitting for size.

We did limit their interaction with other dogs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jack came over for Belle's first play date today! It went pretty well. He was very hyper at first and Belle got freaked and hid under the couch for awhile. After she warmed up to him and wanted to play she nipped him a few times. He quickly showed her that it was not acceptable, which I was pleased with. The one thing I have been getting frustrated with is her biting/nipping, so it was nice for her to have some good bite inhibition training from another dog! She enjoyed her play date and had a huge nap when Jack went home :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Aw I love it excellent puppy owner. Good play date. To:Ham...OMG I dont know who sells puppies to people who don't understand how urgent it is to vaccinate their/ puppy/dog. I know someone that took in a baby pit and didn't vaccinate she died weeks later from PARVO. IT COSTED MORE TO PUT HER DOWN THAN IT DID IF SHE WOULD HAVE GOTTEN HER SHOTS.needless to say I cried as if it was my puppy. It was just so senseless. And she suffered. I'm always passing out aspca information. She was a beautiful well behavior pit. It breaks my heart all over

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for that comment, lovecockerspaniels! I'm trying my best! :)

My aunt got a gorgeous little mutt from the SPCA 10 or so years ago and he died of parvo within a couple of weeks... it was so sad. She found out later that a bunch of pups who were adopted from the SPCA around the same time all had the illness as well.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Yes it is sad when someone loses their puppy to parvo. But quite irking when they lose another puppy the next year from parvo. And oh yes, the second pup has not had any shots either. Some people just do not get it. I see people walking their 8-10 week old puppy on the floor at the local petstore. When I say something the owner tells me oh he/she has had a vaccine. One vaccine will not protect a pup from parvo I tell them and they look at me with a big blank look. Then out of their mouths come these words, "my vet says the puppy is good for one month."
This puppy time period is the scariest for anyone who understands the whole protection of vaccines and the fading of the mom's protection. I know when I have a young pup, I sigh a big sigh when my pup makes it through this. kamlamyra sounds like you are playing it safe and that is good during this time in your pup's llife

1 - 16 of 16 Posts