Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was the first day of Charlie's puppy training class. It went great. She was slow to warm up but after about 30 minutes she was jumping and wrestling with all the puppies.

I have only had her for 3 weeks (she is just now 15 weeks old) and we are making good progress getting her out and about for her much needed socialization. I wonder, when this class is over (6 weeks, one day per week) should I continue with another class if I don't see marked improvement with her fear of people and dogs?

Also, where in the world am I to find friendly dogs she can socialize with in between classes?

We just moved to New Jersey so any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
337 Posts
She doesn't necessarily need to be interacting with the other dogs. Actually, ideally a well-socialized dog would be able to ignore people/dogs. So you could easily go to a dog-friendly park where many dogs will be around and work with her without having her interact with them (unless she's calm and the other owner is OK with it). As for the class question, classes can provide structured environments where you can work on her being around strange people and other dogs while still remaining calm and focused on you, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to continue with another class if she's still struggling. I'd ask the instructor what their opinion is since they've seen the dog.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She doesn't necessarily need to be interacting with the other dogs. Actually, ideally a well-socialized dog would be able to ignore people/dogs. So you could easily go to a dog-friendly park where many dogs will be around and work with her without having her interact with them (unless she's calm and the other owner is OK with it). As for the class question, classes can provide structured environments where you can work on her being around strange people and other dogs while still remaining calm and focused on you, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to continue with another class if she's still struggling. I'd ask the instructor what their opinion is since they've seen the dog.
I hadn't even thought of that. There is a dog park down the street we can walk to. I plan on walking her every day and working on "sit" and "look at me" when we see people or other dogs. Thanks for the advice!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts