Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 4 year old brindle pitbull. She was an absolutely gorgeous girl who is awesome with our kids. It was a rescue mission of sorts. She had basicly been tied to a tree and her neighbors were taking care of her, one more day and she would have went to an overpopulated spca. Everything went great untill I opened the front door and led her inside. Thats when she saw our 2 kittens and went haywire, we managed to seperate the cats from the dog untill we can get a cage (the wife made me grab the cats, I am woozy from the blood loss as I type this) now on top of the cat thing, this dog will whine if he gets more than 2 feet away from either of us, and in general has been a nightmare for the last 24 hours. If she was a puppy this would be relativly simple, but at 4 years old she has enough power to put up one heck of a fight.

So basicly we need tips on training a dog that is a few years old, and any advice on helping/training neglected dogs. We refuse to give up on this girl, she is one of the sweetest dogs we have ever seen.

Thanks in advance =)

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Sounds like she's got a strong prey drive. That being the case, I would keep her separated from the cats. Otherwise, you're asking for trouble. Let them have their own area with no way to get to each other.

Thanks for rescuing this girl. I hope you'll post pics.

·
Registered
442 Posts
First, congratulations! What's her name?

Second, remember that the first few weeks are always the hardest as your dog is learning the rules of your home. The very first thing I would do is find a good obedience class and enroll asap. I don't recommend Petsmart (not even sure they will accept a bully breed in their classes anyway). Ask around and I'm sure you will find a positive reinforcement class that you feel comfortable with. I have done obedience classes with both my dogs and it is a fabulous way to bond with your dog and help YOU learn how to better communicate with her. I promise that this will make your dog-human relationship more smooth AND more fun!

Third, when it comes to your cats, you are going to have to start over from square one and introduce them verrrrry slowly. I found this page to be quite helpful: http://dogtime.com/introducing-dog-and-cat.html Also, when you find a trainer you trust, you might have them come give you help with the situation as it can be difficult to do on your own.

Be prepared that some dogs can never be trusted around cats, even with training. So try to come up with a gameplan to rotate the dog and cats through the house and make sure you still give your kitties lots of love.

Best of luck and as someone else mentioned, post pics when you get a chance!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts