Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 questions (sorry if they've been asked).

1. We have a 2 1/2 hour drive home with him (by unanimous consent, his name is Frodo). Car sickness avoidance advise, anyone? Is my lap better then the floor, for example.

2. To doggy litter box or not. I'm a stay at home mom and can take Frodo I
out all the time then, but .. but there is about 3 hours a day give or takewe're not home (daily Mass, grocery shopping, doctors appointments, etc). Some say, like Ian Dunbar, to do it, others say no, not if you don't want them to think inside is a good potty place. I lean towards the latter but I'm open.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I would bring several older towels as well as a roll of paper towels. And some cleaning spray & nature's miracle type urine removing spray. I would recommend not wearing a brand new outfit either. Are at least 2 people picking up the puppy? I would bring a crate or a plastic laundry basket for the puppy in the car....especially if you are going by yourself.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
My opinion on housetraining is that barring some extreme circumstance, do with the puppy what you want the eventual adult to do.

Personally, I don't want pee inside my house, whether it's in a designated spot or not.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Congrats on the new upcoming addition!

1. For the car ride home, be prepared for motion sickness by bringing towels, paper towels, some type of enzyme cleaner and either trash bags or grocery bags to put the paper/towels in.

2. The dog wil be a puppy for a very short period of time for its entire life. I personally wouldn't train the dog to go in the house. Puppy will be getting older every day/week and three hours alone occasionally, the puppy will most likely sleep.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried about car sickness. If you have a crate that will fit in your car, bring that. Bring some old towels too. Otherwise just plan to sit in the back seat with the pup.

Personally, I train puppies to go to the bathroom outside from day one. I don't want to have to untrain peeing inside. My pup was home alone for 3 hour blocks when we first got him and he was fine. I think he had one accident in his crate, but it was probably because he was so excited that we were home and he couldn't hold it. The only time I would do something like pee pads or a litter box would be if I lived on the 50th floor of an apartment building or something, or if I had to leave the pup home for longer than 4-5 hours at first (but I would still hire a dog walker before I used a litter box)

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
What kind of dog? If I had a teeny weeny little minidog, I'd probably litterbox train. Sometimes the weather here is just too nasty for teeny minidogs. But for a more reasonably sized dog I'd start with outdoor training right away.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
2 questions (sorry if they've been asked).

1. We have a 2 1/2 hour drive home with him (by unanimous consent, his name is Frodo). Car sickness avoidance advise, anyone? Is my lap better then the floor, for example.

2. To doggy litter box or not. I'm a stay at home mom and can take Frodo I
out all the time then, but .. but there is about 3 hours a day give or takewe're not home (daily Mass, grocery shopping, doctors appointments, etc). Some say, like Ian Dunbar, to do it, others say no, not if you don't want them to think inside is a good potty place. I lean towards the latter but I'm open.
I would also not worry about car sickness. I would bring a crate, and let the pup ride in that. Bring plenty of old towels, bedding, bring paper towels, bags, and a cleaner (odoban or natures miracle work best).

Trust me you do not want your pup getting used to pottying in the house. It is hard to train that out. The only dog we had litter box trained, came to us that way as she was born during a harsh winter, she was my Frenchie. We never truely got her trained to go outside.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Not exactly what you're asking, but sort of. I'll offer this advice over and above anyway. Bring water from home or better still obtain a small amount of the breeder's water if possible so as to reduce the chance of digestive upset.

2 1/2 hr drive will likely require a pee break unless the pup sleeps all the way through. If you do stop, offer a very small amount of water at that time. You'll need a secure harness or collar and leash too, of course.

Also depending upon the age of the pup, find out from the breeder when the last time it was fed prior to pickup. Hypoglycemia could be a slight concern, so be aware and perhaps prepare accordingly.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
What kind of dog? If I had a teeny weeny little minidog, I'd probably litterbox train. Sometimes the weather here is just too nasty for teeny minidogs. But for a more reasonably sized dog I'd start with outdoor training right away.
lol, I make them all go out. TINY DOG, DO YOUR BUSINESS FAST, IT'S -40 OUT.

·
Registered
788 Posts
It's a 2.5 hour drive. Don't worry about it. Kennel with towels. Let him go before you leave. Stop for an ice cream or something along the way. Young puppies aren't going to do things like follow your schedule, go for a nice walk with you on that break. Just get through it. If the puppy gets car sick, on that odd chance, then he/she gets car sick. No big deal.

Don't teach your pet to go indoors. It's a really bad idea.

In terms of the 3 hours, a puppy goes every X hours where X is how many months old they are. It will be a problem at first, but they'll try to hold it if kenneled. Just do your best. A young puppy is going to have accidents regardless. In a month, you'll be able to leave the pup home for 3 hours no problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts