Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this will be my #3 thread so I hope that does it and I will make this my useable thread..(I hope)
My daughter is thinking she would love to have a golden retriever. I have always wanted a golden myself. While we loved loved our shih tzu, we both would like a different breed this time. My daughter would like a larger dog because when her education is complete she should be in a position to buy a home, and being on her own would feel comfortable with a larger dog, to walk with and to stay in her house. I on the other hand am getting older, so I'm not so inclined on a large breed but I would accept it in our home for however long it takes.
I also have some concerns about how often she can exercise it, I'm already doing 3 little dogs, one is a cairn and is quite active so maybe adding one more to the "pack" would be ok. I quess I am just looking for some thoughts or suggestions. We both would like a dog we could groom ourselves and one that would be friendly and not aggressive. Our shah tzu had great personalities but lots of eye/breathing issues so we would like to stay away from these issues. OK thanks for suggestions. We won't be adding for at least 6 months so we have time to visit different breeders. (ps I have done some fostering and have rescue dogs but this time want to start with a pup with a clean slate and health guarantee)

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
I always tell people that the dog is and will be, what you make it.
Shih tzu's can be evil little twerps, or they can be amazing friendly lap dogs. Rottweilers can be aggressive, but they can also be sweeter than pie. It is all in how you handle the dog yourself, the dogs personality, and what sort of things drive your dog.

A retriever is a great family dog, but they're also a lot of work. They're shedders, so I hope you don't mind the hair. They can get matted if you don't brush them often enough (please don't shave them..) They love to play, they love to learn, they are very smart. They do need a lot of exercise or (like any dog) they will get bored, but a mind-boggling toy in the yard will usually do them just fine for a little while. They're good jogging buddies if that's something you're looking for too.

The dog will be what you make of it. Even a pitt bull can be an awesome, awesome family pet. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Goldens are wonderful dogs. Very loyal if you treat them right and very smart. Since you are getting it as a pup, im assuming you know all that comes with owning a pup, cost, time, patience. But as a puppy youll have the chance to teach it eveything it should know about your lives that way it will adapt, in a way, to whats going on. Im sure you already know all of this. But I always like to get it out there and remind people. You can always do a search on other dogs medium to big that would do well in whatever home environment you have. But if you and your daughter would like a golden go see breeders and ask to see the parents just to get an idea on how they could act and size.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Our shah tzu had great personalities but lots of eye/breathing issues so we would like to stay away from these issues.
Just so you know, you may be trading one set of issues (eye and breathing problems) for another. Goldens are super common in the US, but their effective population size is actually pretty small (meaning they're all pretty closely related). That means that there's a lot of inbreeding, and the effects of that are seen throughout the breed: cancer, allergies, and HD are extraordinarily common in goldens. A health guarantee from a breeder isn't going to protect you from these things. At best, a breeder's guarantee will be to take the pup back, refund your money, or pay you to treat a condition, when what you actually want is a healthy dog.

A good friend has a service dog (a golden) who isn't going to last much longer. The dog has had crippling allergies its whole life, which is indicative of a crappy immune system. She has been on steroids for that, but the steroids are beginning to cause pancreatic attacks. Worse, the dog has had a bunch of cancerous lumps removed recently (another indication of a crappy immune system) and there's more cropping up now. She's just coming to the end of the line and it's heartbreaking to watch, given how closely she is bonded to her owner. I can't help but wonder how much more time they would have together if the dog wasn't so genetically handicapped.

I hate to be so negative because I love all the goldens that I know. In terms of temperament, they're usually awesome dogs, but I wouldn't want to own one for the above reasons. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
What about a Golden mix? That way you know the dogs aren't related. Mutts tend to be pretty healthy dogs (generally speaking). My dogs a mutt and the only problem he has is an allergy to chicken that causes fur loss and hives.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for all your thoughts. Yes I am aware of everything that goes all along with puppies :) Years ago I bred and showed miniature schnauzers, (with a mentor). Then I had kids and gave it up, too much work. Last spring I fostered a mixed poodle with her 4 puppies for our local shelter. Found the mama a home with a neighbor :). She turned out to be a doll, why someone dumped her is beyond me…The shelter found homes for all 4 puppies. Yeah! Our cairn is two years old. I got her for my husband as we took in a elderly cairn that his friend owned. His friend was terminally ill and had no one to take the dog. She and my husband bonded and he was heartbroken when she passed after only 1 1/2 years. For all the dogs we have owned in our 40 years together, that is the one and only that he truly bonded too. He loves this one too but she has become a family girl. We all have fun with her.
I know about the hair issues with a golden which I'm not crazy about but hey I also have persian cats. Think I'm crazy yet. LOL.
We have a local breeder here, who has very nice looking goldens and a neighbor has two of them. They are both young yet (3 and under).
Just so many people have their goldens I am wondering if they are being overbred. (will check more into that ) I'm not opposed to traveling for the right pup from the right breeder. There is a part of me though that says I'm not sure a golden is the right choice for my daughter. I'm the one that is always up at the break of dawn to walk the dogs. While she is more of a person who runs on her schedule. That is why I am waiting because I want to be sure she will be responsible too and that she will be able to afford its care. That is step 1 and probably the most important. Personally I feel it would be good for her to have a dog that requires less grooming and less exercise. While she is responsible and always helps me, I have to ask..me on the other hand at her age I was more take charge. Seems I am answering a lot of my questions myself. LOL But glad I can write out my thoughts. I don't mind the work, I know what to do but I don't want to have too, I want to be in a position to help but not that it becomes my dog. LOL ..Then here is my soft side, I really love puppies all puppies and I know I won't be able to keep my hands off. LOL

·
Registered
7 Posts
You should get a Bedlington Terrier. My answer is actually very biased. I love my dog, and he doesn't shed at all, except for he grows hair in his ears that needs to be pulled. You can actually do lots of things with their hair, and they look like little lambs. If you want some more information after seeing the pictures (Lots of people think they are ugly, but they are actually really pretty.) I will post some.

http://hdwallpaperslist.com/bedlington-terrier-dog-pictures/

The second one is a Lurcher of some kind, so don't pay attention to that one. I think it is a GreyhoundxBedlington? I cant tell by the picture. The third one is actually my dogs great grandmother, but that's because my responsible breeder is actually very famous in the Bedlington world. Actually nominated for BTCA (Bedlington Terrier Club of America) president, but turned it down because of the fact that she wouldn't have enough time with her dogs. She breeds them to better the breed, and she has actually posted the picture on her website, and I saw the dog :) She has about one litter a year, waits until the dogs are two or older to breed, but doesn't breed them if they are older than 7 so they don't have to go through lots and lots more pain.

Bedlington information can be found on her website: www.ashcrofterriers.com

You really should check the breed out. If you don't like the breed, I would recommend an Airedele Terrier, or a "Bully Breed" (On her website she said that she would want to have some Airedeles. She just doesn't want to have to get rid of her Bedlingtons, because the Airedeles are large large large terriers. Actually the largest terrier. Take it into consideration please :) They are very loyal. They are ADORABLE :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts