Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A leash? What is that?

Can I just say that I absolutely despise when people walk their dogs around with no leash on!

These people are moving in next door and have a little spaniel mix. Yes, she's VERY cute and I'm sure she's VERY sweet, but there are several dogs in this complex that aren't dog friendly.

Bridgette would be thrilled to have her run up and say hi, but I don't know yet how Brody feels about small dogs....my guess is he wouldn't be as happy!

Now if they had control over her I'd be fine with it, but when I see her out the window they are calling her back four or five times before she comes!!

It's downright dangerous! And I'd be furious if my dog got the blame if something did happen!

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I know the feeling. I'm outside working on training Zero possibly for the CGC. I'm in the front yard because traffic is going by, kids riding bikes, people walking, etc....and I want to train in a medium distracting environment. Suddenly two golden retrievers that belong to my neighbor come bounding across two yards with the neighbor chasing them. They obviously want to play and jump on me nearly knocking me over and nearly bowl over Zero too. Zero doesn't care of course because he loves to play with all dogs of all sizes. I did mind nearly getting mugged by two huge dogs. The thing is this isn't something new. Those dogs are constantly running over to my yard to play with my dog and if I'm outside, they come up and try to jump all over me. It drives me freaking insane.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I always walk Kechara without a leash. My towns law is "Dog must be eather leashed or under verbal control" She is under Verbal control. Don't bash me and my trust in her untill you've met her.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I'd walk both of mine off-leash if it weren't for the leash law, as both dogs are reliable, but I don't want to get a ticket. Already got one a couple years back for each dog, because I was playing fetch with them in a park when nobody was even around, and there was a FENCE. And the ACO even had the gall to tell me that my dogs were a "threat to society," simply because there was not a leash attached to them. Didn't matter they they were both under my COMPLETE control. Stuff like this makes me feel like the world is shrinking.

But yeah... I DO hate when some people don't seem to grasp the fact that they have zero control of their dogs, and so let them be leash-less. People like that ruin the world for the responsible dog owners, so then I can't even play fetch in a nice peaceful park that's away from a bunch of crazy dog park dogs. *Grumblegrumble*

·
Registered
329 Posts
In our county ALL dogs must be leashed or you get fined.It is extemely annoying to me to take my dogs and my kids to the public park or school playground and have someone's unleashed animal run up to my kids or dogs.We have had several near misses lately with unfriendly dogs trying to snap at my 3yr old son or my bostons.And the owners just blow it off as if it was nothing.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I hate no leashes, i was driving down a quiet street the other day, luckily i was doing the speed limit and out of nowhere this rottwieller jumps in front of my car and i run over her paw...broken leg and missing teeth....the owner knew it was their fault, so didn't even request that i pay vet bills

·
Registered
30 Posts
i understand that some dogs are under wonderful control by their owners and i see no problem with that. i just wish people who know they're dogs don't behave off leash would consider using one. i'm scared to walk my dog because of it :(

·
Registered
77 Posts
I totally hate it too when you meet up with dogs that are NOT leashed. I can sort of understand that if the dog is well behaved, and stuff, but what do you think happens to the dog that IS leashed. They see this dog off leash and want to take off after the other dog, and we end up being pulled, or having to redirect him, and have to stop until they are gone. Or i've seen where the dog that is loose runs to your dog, and they bark at each other, and having to pull him away........now if everyone used a leash like your suppose too, then we wouldn't have these problems. My dog is well behaved, and comes when I call her, but i STILL use a leash because I strongly believe in people using it. I am sure that there are worst things that can annoy me more, like people who DON'T pick up there dog poop? shessh now THAT is annoying.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I've got to be honest and say I don't really see the lure in walking a dog offleash on the streets, at apartment complexes, etc. Aside from all that can go wrong, it just doesn't seem "worth it" to me. A man in my neighborhood has a very nice dog that he walks offleash. I have started avoiding him because his dog runs up to other dogs, and since Marge is a little unsure right now I don't want to create any more problems for her. But he walks the dog along busy roads offleash.. is it just to show off the fact that she doesn't stray out into the street? She can't possibly be getting more exercise this way like she would be offleash at a park or something so I don't see what's so special about it. In a park or more rural area it's different, but this is NYC for pete's sake.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I always walk Kechara without a leash. My towns law is "Dog must be eather leashed or under verbal control" She is under Verbal control. Don't bash me and my trust in her untill you've met her.
Oh don't get me wrong...I have nothing against dogs being off leash. Having a leash on and being under strict verbal control are the same thing IMO.

If you can walk with your dog by your side with other dogs, cats, cars nearby then go you! I wish I could do that! It's the people who don't have an ounce of control.

All I hear from these neighbors is "Lucy! Lucy! Come here. Come on. Lucy. Okay, come on now. Lucy!!" and this goes on for several minutes! If your dog doesn't come back to you with one command...he/she should be leashed.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Please keep in mind that for people who have fears, there is no way they would trust you. Why trust a complete stranger? I try to be optimistic but why would you expect someone to trust you???

It's rude to walk dogs off leash, no matter how under your control they are. No one, dog owner or not, has any way to tell what is going on.

Walking a dog on a loose leash is just as comfortable and easy for everyone involved and much safer, and polite.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Originally Posted by Keechak
I would be giving you a wide berth if I saw you walking your dog, whether i was walking my dogs or not. I do not like it when people walk their dogs without a leash, and I'm a dog person!
I usually walk my dogs on a leash because, sadly, they are not under my control. I'll take Molly out to the mailbox without a leash because she stays with me, but no where else. I never let Hailey out without a leash, because she'll just take off :(

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
When we're walking on the street my dogs are leashed. On trails or in the park they are off leash. BUT I always have them under control. They are not allowed to run up to people or other dogs without my permission, even if it's someone we know. I also always carry leashes and am happy to leash them if I run into someone who is nervous about unleashed dogs.

I hate out of control dogs. They make us all look bad and lead to leash laws. Yesterday on the trail I was assaulted by 2 labs whose people did not make the least effort to control them. That really ticks me off.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I try to be optimistic but why would you expect someone to trust you???

Because they have no reason not to trust me, my dogs have never been a problem for them and never will be.

I am sorry some people fear all unleashed dogs, but I am not breaking the law, and I am not hurting anyone.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Because they have no reason not to trust me, my dogs have never been a problem for them and never will be.

I am sorry some people fear all unleashed dogs, but I am not breaking the law, and I am not hurting anyone.
They have no reason to trust you either. You seem awfully confident. They're dogs. They're not robots. What happens when something goes wrong? You can't have 100% certainty that you are in control, you're in an uncontrollable environment. Why not use a leash?

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
also please keep in mind I do not live in a city, I never walk my dogs on sidewalks near roads. My walks take me on dirt paths, threw fields, and on bike trails.

They have no reason to trust you either. You seem awfully confident. They're dogs. They're not robots. What happens when something goes wrong? You can't have 100% certainty that you are in control, you're in an uncontrollable environment. Why not use a leash?
like i said untill you've met her and untill you can understand why I am so confident in the way I've trained her, don't go there.

I trust her in all situations except maybe an exploding bomb right next to me.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I keep Donatello on a leash for a few reasons: 1. Other off leash dogs pose serious threats. 2. If those off leash dogs are owned by owners to lazy to leash them, at least if there was conflict (which there has been.) I'm protecting myself by obeying the law. 3. I live in a busy area, and even though Donatello wouldn't run-off, I know he wouldn't stay right by my side and I don't want him getting run over or picked up by strangers. 4. (It's the law.)

First of all, I praise you Keechak for trusting your dogs off-leash, and I praise you to use that talent and opportunity wisely... If it isn't a law in your area, don't worry about it.

I would love to let Donatello run loose in the small area where he poos, but if he saw a cat he'd be off, (which I could call him back to me,) but I'm more scared of him getting hit by a car or getting in a fight with other off leash dogs.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I hate when people come in to our Petsmart with their pets off-leash. I mean, there's a fairly large sign on the front door that says "LEASHED" pets are welcome.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Please keep in mind that for people who have fears, there is no way they would trust you. Why trust a complete stranger? I try to be optimistic but why would you expect someone to trust you???

It's rude to walk dogs off leash, no matter how under your control they are. No one, dog owner or not, has any way to tell what is going on.

Walking a dog on a loose leash is just as comfortable and easy for everyone involved and much safer, and polite.
I agree with this completely. I have a friend of mine who is petrified of dogs. Seeing a dog period would scare her, much less seeing a dog that is off leash completely. It's an issue of courtesy for everyone else.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I HATE THAT TOO, Katzyn

Just yesterday I was there myself, looking at the dog food, (I had some coupons to use up.) Lately I keep Donatello in the cart, in the little seat for kids. lol! It's cute. He's up high to see everyone, I don't have to keep prying him off the shelves covered in invisible pee, and if there are other dogs there he's up high and he/they don't pose a threat.

Well, some a**hole came in with a wiener dog, off leash- Clearly the dog wasn't trained for it because it was walking way out in front, would turn down the isles without his owner, then they guy would call out "Hey, come'ere!" -.- I hate that! Then the weiner dog happened upon us and started heading to the cart, Donatello's hackles raised but he was silent... I told Donatello to "stay" and was ready to shoo the dog off, when the guy came walking around, heading to Banfield, and said, "Hey, let's go, c'mon." Then reluctantly the wiener followed. -.-

People like that think that the rules and laws don't apply to them, and that they're above the people who make those rules/laws, and they're the ones that cause grief and headache for those of us (like myself) that follow the rules! Ugh!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts