Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At agility class tonight, a lady associated with a local rescue showed up with a cattle dog x BC cross. 7mo and looking for a permanent home. I was highly impressed with his toy drive, his attention to his foster mom, not to mention his structure. He didn't seem to notice the other dogs or people very much. If I was in the market, I'd have adopted him on the spot. *Sigh* One day maybe I'll have the space, time, money, and drive for another crazy dog.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Now that sounds like the perfect dog for someone who wants to compete in dog sports or maybe even a working dog ... or both. I bet that dog was a looker too ... great package deal for someone. Hope he finds a good home. :)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Isn't that one of the designer breeds the Texas Heeler that people are breeding these days? Since you are already doing agility then you might as well bring this pup home. Sounds like he has some qualities that really caught your attention. And...Whats one more? You know the pup needs a home that is active and can do things with it. I think it was fate that brought you together.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Aw c'mon...what's one more?? ;) You have better self control than I do...I said "This is my last dog (for a while anyway)," like 6 dogs ago...lol

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In some ways I'd love another, but there are so many reasons not to:

I rent, and I dunno how my landlord would feel about it.
I have housemates and I dunno how they'd feel about it.
The house is small, with not a lot of room for another dog and its stuff.
My car is too small for two crates. My bed is too small for two dogs and me.
I'll be graduating and moving in another year. To who knows where. Kit's coming with me (obviously), but the problems of moving multiply with more than one.
I live below the poverty line and work 60+ hrs/week. I remember how crazy it was taking care of a high drive 7mo old pup (though this guy already has more focus than Kit did)!
My current dog delights in doing whatever I want to do: agility, disc, nosework, hiking, swimming, tricks, whatever. I don't need another dog to do any of this.

But he was *so* cute and exactly what I would want in a second dog.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
It's always reassuring that there as so many perfect dogs out there :) And when you are ready for your second, the right one will come along.

Sounds like this guy is set up pretty well already and has a place to thrive while his future is figured out

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I can promise you that another, exactly what you want, will come along another time. There is NEVER a shortage of dogs looking for homes.
Considering your "reasons not to" list it is best you wait.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heard some good news today:

The pup might get adopted by a friend of mine! This friend lost her heart dog a couple of months ago, plus her agility dog is injured and might not be able to do agility again (we'll see). To top it off, today her DH lost his long battle with cancer. Her life is pretty tumultuous right now, but I think many people in our little agility community are thinking this pup is meant to be hers. I sure hope so, for the sake of both of them!

·
Registered
13,081 Posts

The pup might get adopted by a friend of mine! This friend lost her heart dog a couple of months ago, plus her agility dog is injured and might not be able to do agility again (we'll see). To top it off, today her DH lost his long battle with cancer. Her life is pretty tumultuous right now, but I think many people in our little agility community are thinking this pup is meant to be hers. I sure hope so, for the sake of both of them!
That poor person ... my condolences go out to them for their DH and Heart Dog as well.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I know exactly your situation. I've come across a husky-shepherd mix that would be an absolutely great addition, and now another husky-mix that may very well be a littermate of Jax's (which means it's likely about as awesome and unique as he is, right? lol) and would love to adopt either. However, my reasons not to are very similar to yours, minus the roommates. There'll be more dogs out there when you're ready! Hopefully it works out for your friend, as it sounds like she could use another pal of her own.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts

This is very good news.
Hopefully the dog can help ease some of your friend's pain. Nothing like having a best furry-friend to hold on to while you cry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts