Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on a 'leave it' command with my dog thinking it might be useful somehow in dealing with his leash reactivity. We've only practiced the command indoors in a controlled environment and we've only practiced with low value treats. Today on our walk he ran across a chicken bone. He picked it up right about the time I realized what it was. I fully expected to be prying that bone out of his mouth, but I tried 'leave it' and I'll be darned if he didn't drop that chicken bone back on the ground. He just stood there staring at it until I gave him a bunch of treats, but I'm kind of amazed that it worked at all. I'm so proud of this guy.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Its such a wonderful moment when something youve been working on comes good in real life situations.

I didnt know wether to laugh or cry when George slipped harness and our stay command worked... I had expected him to vanish over the horzion.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its such a wonderful moment when something youve been working on comes good in real life situations.

I didnt know wether to laugh or cry when George slipped harness and our stay command worked... I had expected him to vanish over the horzion.
I guess that's it isn't it? I teach him these things and it all seems like so many parlor tricks until something proves useful in a real life situation. It's nice to feel like I'm really making an impression on him though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts