Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She's been here before, but never when it was warm enough to swim. Now she was clearly interested in the water, but I think it was to cold for her last time. She always jumps into the bath tub when I leave the door open, so I'm fairly sure she likes water.

I want her to be able to jump into the lake with my family when we all want to swim, so she can play. However, I don't want to just throw her in as that probably isn't the best solution...

So, I need tips/tricks/advice.
Also, should I buy a vest for my dog? She is a 6-7 month old Corgi named Molly!

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Just let her go in at her own speed. If she's jumping in the bathtub, it probably won't take her long at all to get in the lake. Is there any easy to way to get in the water? She probably won't be jumping off the dock right away and will appreciate walking in gradually.

I've found the best way to get a dog into the water is for everyone in the family to get in there. My dog is iffy about swimming, but if we all swim out he feels compelled to follow us.

I would recommend a life vest. Corgis are not great swimmers due to their large bodies and short legs. My mother in law's corgi almost drowned when she jumped off of a dock and then realized she couldn't swim. I use a life vest for my dog just because he's not a very strong swimmer, and the vest makes him more confident. It's also a good idea to use a vest if you'll be out on a boat - even if the dog is a good swimmer, it's really hard to get a dog back in a boat if they aren't wearing a vest with a handle on the back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay! So just get people in the water and she should follow eventually. I figured as much, I just don't want her to miss out on the fun because I know she likes water. Also, I've never bought a pet life vest before. How should they fit? Snug? Loose?

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Okay! So just get people in the water and she should follow eventually. I figured as much, I just don't want her to miss out on the fun because I know she likes water. Also, I've never bought a pet life vest before. How should they fit? Snug? Loose?
I found it was pretty obvious how they should fit. I went through a couple in different sizes (it helps if you can try them on in a pet store) and it was clear which one fit him best. Most websites that sell them (like Ruffwear) will have a measuring guide. Keep in mind that she will probably grow a little bit more, so don't worry if it's slightly big on her, but don't buy something huge either. They will be pretty lose, with just a front clip and a band around the belly. Look for one with a nice wide band under the belly, because if you need to pick her up with it you don't want thin nylon straps only.

Ruffwear and Outward Hound make nice ones.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Definitely don't throw her in! That could be traumatizing, especially at her age. I would go the life vest route and let her enter the water at her own pace :) if she seems to already like water I'm sure she'll get in in no time, especially if that's where her humans are :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts