Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so Dycen is my year and half old German Pinscher Craigslist "rescue.." He was originally brought home as a companion for my cousin (whom was living with us at the time) but quickly became my responsibility and I admit I didn't (more like wasn't capable of) working with him much until the past few months .. I never realized just how much energy this little guy has and how quickly he catches on to things.. with the last month I have spent more time outside working with him than I have in the last year I swear.. within the past month he has all but stopped running the neighborhood (he will run up to meet neighbors, but quickly comes back when called), has learned find it, bring it, drop it and is currently liking the hurdles.. I have signed him up for formal training starting mid july and am also looking to do field work once formal obedience is done.. any suggestions????

Edit to add: I have had him out for over 3 hours at a time have brought him inside and within 15 mins or so he was ready to go again...

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You can find guides online for building your own agility equipment with PVC pipes and glue.

How do feed him? Mental workouts tire dogs out, too, so feeding from a tug a jug or buster cube instead of a bowl will help. I use two different feeding toys right now (that way I can load both the night before), and I'm looking for a third just for variety.

As to random tricks, there's shake, play dead, hide, spin, and "count" off the top of my head.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm a stay at home so when the weather is nice we are usually outside for the better portion of the day. In the morning he gets let out at about 4:30-5:00 am for about 15-20 minutes then again around 7:30-8:00 am for another 20 mins and then from about 11am-3/4pm and then from about 7-9pm with a thirty minute walk at around 11pm. He gets fed from a kong or a soda bottle as well as from his dish. We play hide n seek with his toys and just added hurdles and swimming to the mix over the past 3 days...

I have a tire swing and hurdle made from two milk crates and a 4×4 post currently, as well as, a two foot deep inflatable pool and access to alot of wooded areas and a creek.

All of our dogs are taught dance (bigger dogs spin in circles as if chasing tail, smaller dogs up on hind legs spinning in circles.)

·
Registered
647 Posts
When you say you let him outside, you mean he can play in the yard while you do things? Maybe he needs more exercise with interaction with you. I guess it depends what he does when he's outside alone. Mine is outside all day, but he just lounges around waiting for me to come back so I can't consider this exercise. He needs at least 2 hours of exercise with me daily (walking, swimming, biking or sledding) to be manageable.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Oh no I am out there with him, my yard is an acre and a half unfenced so I can not leave him unattended or he WILL RUN. The 4:30 outting and the 8 o'clock outtings are walks around different parts of the neighborhood the 11 O'clock one is as well. The other outtings vary as to what we are doing based on the day. But he is always interacting with either the other dogs, myself or my kids... he is hardly ever left alone 8-10 hrs a week at most during a typical week. I didn't mean to say that he is unmanageble, I was just looking for ideas to keep him interested and stating to the fact that I never realized a dog could have so much energy...

·
Registered
291 Posts
I am not familiar with this breed but doing a quick look up it seems to be around 20 inches, usually measured at the withers. So a 24 inch deep swimming pool means they should be able to swim without their feet touching the bottom - yes?

Also noted that tails are usually docked so I would guess there is no tail to hold onto. If this is so then loop a leash under the belly, put her in the pool and, holding her up so she does not just stand on her back legs, let her swim for no less than 10 minutes at a time - this will equate to a good 1 hour walk.

Getting her brain working with food dispensing toys is tiring for dogs. Just don't forget to reduce any main meals by the volume of food being dispensed by the toys. You do not want an overweight pup.

Get yourself a flirt pole and get her chasing a lure. Great exercise for the dog but not for you. If you make the rope a bit longer you can get her running further. If you are a fly fisherman, a long rope will not give you any hassles in snaking it out. I have gone as far as tying a toy to a fishing rod and casting that out and winding back as fast as possible to see if I could get the toy back before the dog got it. Never did win.

Word of warning though. If you are fishing folk, teaching the dog to follow and chase a lure means she cannot go fishing with you or you will end up at the vets extracting a fishing lure from her gullet - been there done that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts