Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't even know where to begin, other then to say that my dog is driving my crazy... He's a dachshund/miniature pincher mix, male, intact, about 2 years old I think. It seems like as soon as I think we have something taken care of, he regresses back to stage one, or worse. For example, I thought we were potty trained. And then we weren't. And then we were again. Or maybe not... Today I came home from work, and he had pooped in the basement, twice, and somehow managed to pee on the coffee table. Not on the leg of the coffee table. He hopped on top of it and peed right in the center of the table... I've never even seen him get on the coffee table, so that in and of itself is new, but the fact that he got up there to pee in it... I don't even know what to think. He's started howling at odd hours of the morning, and sometimes late at night. He whines incessantly for no reason that I can discern. The other day I caught him standing on top of the kitchen table (I had left a chair out). He gets into the trash, begs at dinner, tries to steal food off the counter (He's too short thankfully), is aggressive toward strangers... I'm at my wits end! And the thing is, most of these things he didn't used to do, and they just started out of the blue. And the issues that he had when I got him, I thought we had taken care of them, and then they spring up again. It's frustrating, discouraging, exasperating, and exhausting. Help????

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Neutering may help with the potty issues. I don't know if he's marking or just not potty-trained, but it may help. He's old enough now that it won't have any bad effects. Other than that, go back to potty-training 101. He gets no freedom--always crated when you can't watch him, tied to you when you can't pay 100% attention, constant supervision when he is loose, etc.

How much exercise does he get?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
My first thought is neutering may help. I don't usually advise neutering for helping behavioural issues but the fluxes in his behaviour and the onset of new odd behaviours and potential marking all sound hormonal to me. You may want to discuss it with a vet as it could be something neurological or hormonal if all else is the same. My second thought is it may be time to consult a professional behaviourist or trainer to asses the situation. Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes on the situation can be really helpful to see what you might have overlooked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts