Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Switched my 4month old bullmastiff puppy over to Acana Wild Atlantic. Took a month to switch him over slowly. He was doing great on it by the end of the bag.

So I went to get a new bag!..... Got home, opened it and its very different. Same bag. Different looking food. Still smelled fishy, so I figured they changed the sizing and color using the same recipe and ingredients. Its the same bag for God's sake.....

Well 2 days later, my now 5 month old puppy, is doing AWFUL. AWFUL diarrhea. The poor dog just stands outside in a squat trying his best to do his business, and has a lot of trouble sleeping.

I was getting ready to call Acana today, when they open. Look on their website, and lo and behold, NO MORE WILD ATLANTIC is on it!!!! "Pacifico" replaces it.

I dont know what happened but I would suppose its some business-line side effect of cutting the product from their line. Just plain carelessness. I'm so mad at them. "Dog Star Kitchens" my you-know-what.

Cant wait to see what they say....

Well I waited to see what they said before I posted this and due to "high call volume" they had me leave a message, and they promise to call me back the same day. Great.... I was hoping to see what they said before I brought it back to the store, which is going to be before doggy lunch time. Maybe if they could tell me how to find bags of Wild Atlantic food, that actually have Wild Atlantic food in them, I could go back to the store and find one in the pile to fix my problem..... but no. Only more disappointment.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. Not at all. I'm scrambling around now trying to figure out what the heck I'm going to do for lunch time. Probably chicken and rice, but I still have to figure out what food to switch him to. :-(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Them not answering their customer care line is really helpful also. Good to know they're there when you need them :frusty:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Chicken and rice works very well. He is on a grain free diet?? You could do Taste of The Wild or Orijen they are both good brands Pumpkin does also canned pumpkin not the pie mix for diarrhea

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Them not answering their customer care line is really helpful also. Good to know they're there when you need them :frusty:
I've never seen any really good customer service from dog food facilities especially when they mess stuff up..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea. I still cannot reach anybody at all. Their customer care line goes straight to voicemail saying they have high call volume. I left a message and have been trying to get through for 4 hours.

They're website seems to be back to listing Wild Atlantic in their Regionals, and not Pacifica.....

On a side note I called Merrick to get food info and a nice lady answered the phone and gave me the info real quick.

Really disappointed in Acana.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's great news about Merrick. A shame about Acana. 4 hours is a very long time to be waiting that's ridiculous I would switch food and not go back they can just lose a customer not that it would really matter to them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It looks like they have a serious issue with things going on at the facility for it to be so different and get your puppy diarrhea. It's going to be very interesting if they say anything to you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got a call from a very nice lady. She said there hasn't been any changes to the food. She mentioned something about natural variation. It does turn out that my first bag was manufactured like 11 months before the second bag. So I dont know if the fish taste different one year to the next. Clearly I think they changed the size and shape over that years time. I'm going to be real careful about the best by dates from now on. I never imagined there would be a years worth of variation of bags sitting in the same pile of food.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for telling me that I will do the same also. I didn't think that was an okay thing to do but I guess it is.
Great news she was nice I wouldn't have thought they would've even contacted you back. Good for them
Hi and nice to meet you I didn't realize you where new tell a few minutes ago sorry

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
So sorry you and your pup are going through this. In the future you might mix new bag with old bag same as you do when switching brands/formulas. Decades ago a rabbit breeder told me this and I've done it for kibble as well.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I know this thread is now a few months old, but haven't been on the forum in a while so catching up.

I'm confused. Are you in the US? Acana has 3 fish formulas: Freshwater Fish (part of their Heritage line), Wild Atlantic (Regionals line) and Mackerel (Singles line). The only one that changed was Wild Atlantic used to be called Pacifica but that changed over 2 years ago now.

Sorry you're having issues. :(

edit - ohhh so basically you're saying the old Pacifica kibble was in the new Wild Atlantic bag?

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
I know this thread is now a few months old, but haven't been on the forum in a while so catching up.

I'm confused. Are you in the US? Acana has 3 fish formulas: Freshwater Fish (part of their Heritage line), Wild Atlantic (Regionals line) and Mackerel (Singles line). The only one that changed was Wild Atlantic used to be called Pacifica but that changed over 2 years ago now.

Sorry you're having issues. :(

edit - ohhh so basically you're saying the old Pacifica kibble was in the new Wild Atlantic bag?
The OP states that Wild Atlantic wasn't listed and that it was replaced by Pacifico, which makes me wonder if he was looking at the Canadian (or other non-US website). The US factory ONLY produces foods for sale in the US. The Canadian plant produces food shipped and sold everywhere else, and still makes Pacifica.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts