Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That i Do want a puppy and im up for everything that comes with a pupy :)

BUT, before i do get a puppy ive decided that i should get situated with my school work, football practice and time managing. and that before i can buy a puppy i need to make sure that i can take care of the puppy and watch out for its well being, support it financially and everything, so i am putting it off untill next june. Its going to be my birthday present to my self :D
As of right now im going to browse breeders but not much untill it gets closer to June '10 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
What a great decision! I think you're doing the right thing. I have recently made the same decision myself. There's an event in the Spring that I'm waiting for so I'm putting off the puppy until then. And of course, I'm browsing breeders. :) It's fun and very educational!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Ooh!!! Majorly exciting. :) Glad to hear that you're going about this responsibly, too. It's incredibly difficult to do so...Haha, I hated having to wait to get Carley until now; but with all my school work I had this year, (3 college classes on top of my regular high school curriculum) I simply had to wait until summer. But, waiting paid off!!

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
That's great! Browse breeders, talk to them, and maybe even put yourself on a waiting list. It's not uncommon to have to wait a long time for a puppy from a certain breeder.

Do you know what breed you want?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Do you know what.
that is an awesome idea, good for you for thinking ahead. Like you I waited a long time to get my puppy and it took a long time to find a good breeder and so forth. Do as much reading as you can, you can even slowly buy things for your puppy leading up to when you bring her or him¸home. Thats what I did.

Anyways your one smart cookie!:)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want a Pitbull :)
and i probably want a girl puppy and ive been browsing a few breeders but not to much yet. in general i know what i want but im not sure on the specifics yet

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Good for you for thinking ahead and for doing the research needed to find a good breeder!

Have you had dogs before as a young adult? (I'm assuming you are a young adult..)Have you had a bully breed before (I'm afraid I can't tell much from your avatar pic)?
I love pitties, they are one of my fave breeds. As long as YOU are experienced, capable and willing to train, socialize properly etc I wholly suppport your breed decision. Strong minded breeds, in fact many if not all of the terriers, require a knowledgeable owner. To take on a breed that is victim to BSL in many places means raising your dog to be an excellent ambassador of his breed. Impeccable manners.

Good luck!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea ive had 2 pitbulls before and one that was a pit/boxer mix. One of my purebred ones was a rescue and another i took from a freind that couldnt afford to keep her that was a 3 month old puppy.

As far as my Life style goes, im pretty active now seeing as how for football i have to try to stay well conditioned and as in shape as possible, so there will be plenty exercise and there are many parks around me and i will definatly put a lot of effort towards having my dog socialized, i hate the bad rep that this breed is given right away.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yea early summers a great time to get a dog.. I cant imagine trying to potty train a puppy with 2 feet of snow in the back yard! :eek:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea early summers a great time to get a dog.. I cant imagine trying to potty train a puppy with 2 feet of snow in the back yard! :eek:
Lol i live in Arizona so theres no snow really:), theres rain every once in a while and it Hails once in a blue moon

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
What I was kinda leaning towards was..

Do you rent or do you own?

if you own...have you checked your homeowner's insurance policy to make sure covering a pit bull in the house won't cost you tens of thousand's of dollars?

if you rent...have you cleared this with your landlord to ensure you don't risk losing either home or dog?

as for breeders....a truly good pit breeder is somewhat of a rarity...and with the state of the breed as it is...you don't want to settle for anything less than top notch.

honestly if you are looking for a pet, you would be doing all pit bulls a HUGE favor by adopting from a good rescue or shelter..

there are hundreds of pit puppies in rescues and shelters everywhere..

the only time I recommend going to a breeder for a pit bull is if you are in the market for a serious working/sport/show dog. this breed is HUGELY overpopulated.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I Own, an ive checked and having a pitbull wont cost me hundereds of thousands so ill still be only moderatly broke lol

As of right now im leaning more towards breeder but thats just because i know that litters and all that has to be planned ahead of time but shelters and rescues has Definatly been an option and it still is so what i think im going to do later on in the future is get in contact with those shelters and rescues and check out what they have, ive always been a sucker for rescue puppys ;)

But no matter where im getting my pet i will have it sprayed/nuetered, i wont be addition to the number of pitbulls in shelters and rescues.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
I Own, an ive checked and having a pitbull wont cost me hundereds of thousands so ill still be only moderatly broke lol

As of right now im leaning more towards breeder but thats just because i know that litters and all that has to be planned ahead of time but shelters and rescues has Definatly been an option and it still is so what i think im going to do later on in the future is get in contact with those shelters and rescues and check out what they have, ive always been a sucker for rescue puppys ;)

But no matter where im getting my pet i will have it sprayed/nuetered, i wont be addition to the number of pitbulls in shelters and rescues.

ok..just have to check...Pits are my "heart breed" and anytime anyone says "I want a pit bull" my heart freezes because there are soooo many people who want pits who really don't have any business owning one. you seem like you have it right...I just had to check.

pm me. I have a huge list of breeders I have already spoken to across the country..depending on where you are I may be able to recommend someone to you to check out I also have a list of rescues too. :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its ok i understand Pittys have always been my favorite
when i was little it was just they way they looked but as i grew older i did my homework and i owned a few and now i just love the breed in general :D lol

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Ha ha..Zim and I now both heartily approve..lol. Not that you needed our approval, but WE needed to know.
Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts