Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading the other recent thread about the puppy who sleeps with her(?--I forget at the moment!) owners and seems to have to get up a few times in the middle of the night.

I get the impression that a lot of people let their dogs sleep with them. I've been thrilled to find that Naima, who is now about six months old, sleeps through the night whether in her crate or in bed with me, and functions as the best possible (licking) alarm clock every at about 8:30 or 8:45 a.m. Meaning I get to sleep. And I like to sleep. :whoo: (I do wonder how a 25-lb. puppy can manage to take up 3/4 of a queen-sized bed, though!)

She doesn't mind sleeping in the crate, but she's made it very obvious that she'd much rather sleep with me (around bedtime she suddenly goes on her best behavior and sits next to the bed with a sweet expression on her face, making her desires quite clear). And I have to say that I really enjoy it, although I do find myself having to fight for covers and bed-space several times in the night.

So--are there any downsides to letting her sleep with me on a regular basis at this point? I've been letting her do it every few nights as a kind of "treat," but I've wondered if letting her do it on a regular basis might create any unintended training issues or anything, especially since she's only six months old.

Naima awaits your responses anxiously. :)

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Here's my two cents--

If any/all humans sleeping the bed are OK with the dog being there, the dog is fully potty trained, AND the dog is able to sleep independently, then go for it.

I think it is important that all dogs are comfortable sleeping separately from their humans from time to time. Maybe crated, maybe just on a dog bed or couch in another room. But separate. You simply don't know what life will throw at you and if there is a reason for good or bad to have the dog sleep separately, you really don't want to add separation anxiety into the mix. Maybe the human gets sick or hurt and can't be jostled by a dog, maybe the dog gets sick or hurt and needs crate rest, maybe the human wants some private time with a significant other, etc.

My dogs have the option of my bed the majority of the time. They also know how to deal with me putting them in the living room or the dog room and settle down immediately there also.

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
The only other caveat that I'd add to Shell's post is to make sure there's no risk of the puppy falling or hurting itself if it jumps out of bed. Puppies are uncoordinated. For that reason, in my house, there's a no puppy in the bed rule until they're about 4 months old, sometimes 6.

That said my bed is really tall - like 4 feet off the ground tall. There are stairs for the little dogs, but until they're old enough to be coordinated and not go toddling off to try to get out of the bed for a drink or to potty or something, they stay in crates.

And some of my dogs choose to sleep with people, some choose not. MOstly Bug, Jack and Kylie sleep with people. Molly sleeps with a person in winter, but summer uses the couch. Thud always just sleeps on the floor in front of the backdoor, or his crate. It's all up to them at this stage; the youngest is < 2.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's my two cents--

If any/all humans sleeping the bed are OK with the dog being there, the dog is fully potty trained, AND the dog is able to sleep independently, then go for it.

I think it is important that all dogs are comfortable sleeping separately from their humans from time to time. Maybe crated, maybe just on a dog bed or couch in another room. But separate. You simply don't know what life will throw at you and if there is a reason for good or bad to have the dog sleep separately, you really don't want to add separation anxiety into the mix. Maybe the human gets sick or hurt and can't be jostled by a dog, maybe the dog gets sick or hurt and needs crate rest, maybe the human wants some private time with a significant other, etc.

My dogs have the option of my bed the majority of the time. They also know how to deal with me putting them in the living room or the dog room and settle down immediately there also.
Yes--I think that's my main concern--if I get sick or something I just want to make sure that she'll be OK with other temporary arrangements. I'll probably still let her sleep in her crate every few nights too, just so both options continue to work.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes--I think that's my main concern--if I get sick or something I just want to make sure that she'll be OK with other temporary arrangements. I'll probably still let her sleep in her crate every few nights too, just so both options continue to work.
So far she still can't get UP on the bed by herself (which is probably good at this point), but she's fine getting down on her own. And she manages to get herself VERY firmly situated, usually in the center of the bed (with me often kind of hanging off--we're working on that!). She's pretty coordinated at this point.

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
So far she still can't get UP on the bed by herself (which is probably good at this point), but she's fine getting down on her own. And she manages to get herself VERY firmly situated, usually in the center of the bed (with me often kind of hanging off--we're working on that!). She's pretty coordinated at this point.
Yeah, at 6 months and 25lbs I wouldn't worry. This mostly came up and became a thing when Kylie was like 4 weeks old and 2lbs. That's just not safe. Once they're okay getting down on their own, I stop caring at all. My dogs are fed in crates and periodically go in there, but I couldn't tell you the last time they were in them to sleep at night. We just shut the bedroom door if necessary and they find somewhere else to be.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Old age may present another problem. I have an oldie who has been a bed dog all her life. She woofs when she wants to jump up on the bed. She can make the jump ok, but has lost her night vision, so I have to turn a light on for her. Also, she won't launch from a tile floor . . . only from a throw rug.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Old age may present another problem. I have an oldie who has been a bed dog all her life. She woofs when she wants to jump up on the bed. She can make the jump ok, but has lost her night vision, so I have to turn a light on for her. Also, she won't launch from a tile floor . . . only from a throw rug.
Good point, although at that point old age will probably be presenting similar problems for me! Maybe we'll just both sleep on the floor then. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.