Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, in the grocery store a woman said to me " I wish my dog could talk." 5 words.

I had some beef marrow bones for my dogs in my cart when checking out. A lady asked me if I was making soup. I told her that they were for my dogs. Well we chatted, and then she said "I wish my dog could talk."

I don't know why I said what I said next, but I said "I have 3 dogs, and I just wish they could say about 5 words; I don't need to be getting into conversations with my dogs." :pound:

So later in the day I still didn't know why I said that, but then I asked myself if my dogs could say 5 words, what would I want them to be?

I came up with:

1. Potty
2. Love
3. Pain
4. Hungry
5........ never came up with a 5th, but today I was thinking "walk".

What would your 5 be?

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Re: So, in the grocery store a woman said to me " I wish my dog could talk." 5 words.

Hahaha! Probably the same as your list----except "hungry" - there wouldn't be a moment's peace.

Maybe add "happy" and "sad". Just knowing her emotions would be helpful.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Re: So, in the grocery store a woman said to me " I wish my dog could talk." 5 words.

Pretty sure if my dogs had 5 words, this is what they'd be right now:

1. Please
2. Take
3. That
4. Puppy
5. Back

If my dogs had 5 words of my choosing, I'd want them to be something to indicate and locate pain - everything else, they can communicate through their body language. But "pain", "leg", "head", "chest", "hindquarters", to cover all basic body sections, would be awesome.

·
Super Moderator
11,443 Posts

I'm quite sure that if dogs could talk - and tell us what they really think - they would no longer be man's best friend.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts

That made me LOL!
Haha. I found all three adult dogs (350 lbs and 12 legs) hiding in the tiny laundry room this morning! What's crazy is that this puppy is wonderful, barely bothers them and when he does pay attention to them, he responds to "leave me alone" snarks really well.

They're just old grumps. But I think they'll come around... Eventually. Mostly because they have no choice :p

·
Registered
5,407 Posts

Pretty sure if my dogs had 5 words, this is what they'd be right now:

1. Please
2. Take
3. That
4. Puppy
5. Back
LOL

I think 'yes' and 'no' could cover a lot. Like 'do you hurt? do you hurt here?' 'are you hungry/tired/bored?'
but then you'd have to know what they did and didn't understand Lol

·
Registered
19,018 Posts

I really wish Mia could talk. I think she'd be hilarious.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

Haha. I found all three adult dogs (350 lbs and 12 legs) hiding in the tiny laundry room this morning! What's crazy is that this puppy is wonderful, barely bothers them and when he does pay attention to them, he responds to "leave me alone" snarks really well.

They're just old grumps. But I think they'll come around... Eventually. Mostly because they have no choice :p
I had that when we got Belle. Angel hated her and her whole demeanour changed. Maya didn't like her either but came around in a few weeks time. Angel took 3 long months to accept the fact that Belle wasn't going anywhere and then they became play buddies. They all love each other now.

I really wish Mia could talk. I think she'd be hilarious.
I think if Belle could talk, she would never shut up. LOL!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

Potty, Happy, Hurt, Scared, Hungry, Thirsty and Walk. I cannot do just five.

·
Registered
278 Posts

I would like it if my dog could talk for 5 minutes a day. Long enough to express any problems or concerns (like my ear hurts) or anything she wants or needs or would like done differently. But my dog acts like a 2 year old child sometimes.....I don't really want her telling me she is hungry every 2 minutes or asking me why all the time!

·
Registered
2,911 Posts

Potty, Happy, Hurt, Scared, Hungry, Thirsty and Walk. I cannot do just five.
If my dogs had all of those words, they'd never be quiet, haha. The day would go:

Potty, happy, hungry, hungry, hungry, thirsty, happy, hungry, hungry, hungry, hungry, walk, potty, happy, hungry, hungry, hungry, thirsty. And then more hungry, hungry, hungry after that.

...I like quiet.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts

I am not one of those people that wants their dogs to talk. I like that they don't. I do, however, wish they could more easily tell us things like being in pain and where. I'd also like my dog to tell ME to calm down or tell me I'm doing something over the top (such as with anxiety or depressed stuff, or getting too frustrated in my training with them). So.. my words I'd want them to say:

1. Hurts/Pain
2. Calm/Relax (directed to me)
3. Puke (How many times I wish my dog could just say their stomach hurt and they were gonna puke... especially with a hunger puker)
4. Potty
5. Yes (assuming they can understand anything we say)

·
Registered
4,697 Posts

I agree with RonE, if dogs started talking, they would not be man's best friend. I like the fact they can't talk but they still seem to be able to communicate with us in their own way.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts

I don't know about specific words but I wish I could communicate ideas. Like "No, you can't run far away off leash because you might get lost."

I would like to ask Luna about her life before I had her, though.

·
Super Moderator
11,443 Posts

I would like to ask Luna about her life before I had her, though.
Yes, this exactly.

I had a great dog who occasionally exhibited weird, aggressive behavior toward specific individuals. Quite by accident, I ran into someone who knew a bit of his history and told me that my dog had been horribly abused as a pup.

By observing his behavior over a period of months, I concluded that his abuser was a male smoker who wore a tool belt and used a tripod (like a surveyor.) These were all triggers that I learned to watch for and avoid.

I kind of wished my dog could tell me where this guy lived so we could pay a visit. "Hey, pal, that little pup you used to beat up is now a 115-pound pissed-off adult dog and we'd both like a few words with you."

·
Registered
1,230 Posts

Definitely wouldn't want hungry/thirsty on there. She's getting fed when I decide, she can mentally complain all she wants.
Maybe
1- Happy
2- Scared
3- Yes
4- No
5- Play/Cuddle/Love

I don't really need 5. As long as they UNDERSTAND the question and words they're saying. Because "yes" and "no" would be really useless if they just said them all the time. I think really "Yes/No" would solve the majority of problems.

These are the random things that came to mind with Yes/No:
Me cooking bacon in the pan, "yes!" breaking up the bacon to put it on a salad or in a wrap, "Yes! YES!!"
Me falling down the stairs/hurting myself - "NO!" (actually I'd probably die laughing if this situation happened)
Her just playing with stuffed toys by herself, "Grrrr yeess! Gr, YES! *squeak* NO NO NO"

Do you want to play with this kitten?
"Yes"
Are you going to eat this kitten
"No"
Are you sure?
"No"

·
Registered
2,911 Posts

Yes, this exactly.

I had a great dog who occasionally exhibited weird, aggressive behavior toward specific individuals. Quite by accident, I ran into someone who knew a bit of his history and told me that my dog had been horribly abused as a pup.

By observing his behavior over a period of months, I concluded that his abuser was a male smoker who wore a tool belt and used a tripod (like a surveyor.) These were all triggers that I learned to watch for and avoid.

I kind of wished my dog could tell me where this guy lived so we could pay a visit. "Hey, pal, that little pup you used to beat up is now a 115-pound pissed-off adult dog and we'd both like a few words with you."
Firstly, that's a really oddly specific set of descriptors, it's amazing that you were able to narrow it down to that!

Secondly, if my dogs could tell me who beat them in the past, there'd be a string of inexplicable and seemingly unrelated home invasions and severe beatings in SE Michigan.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts