Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
ouch! i hope you are able to release the pressure somehow.

my dad crushed his finger once. he used to drive a transport truck and was delivering carpet. the carpet was rolled on a steel rod and when one end was picked up the rod slid out and crushed his finger. i think that was the worst pain i have ever seen him in. the bone was crushed. he walked around for a few days with his hand cradled against his chest. :(

i didn't crush my finger but i did get a HUGE splinter under my fingernail once before 7 am! haha! i couldn't get it out so i went to work with my stomach flip flopping from the nausea from the pain. when i got to work the women there tried to get it out and then forced me to go to the hospital. seriously, i had to go to the er to get a splinter out! :redface: i was so embarrassed. the doctor almost couldn't get it out. he had to use these huge alligator forceps with teeth to grab it and pull it out. it was oak from my cupboards... :S my fingernail just grazed the edge of a drawer while reaching for something in the cupboard below. that hurt! it was VERY far in and thick rather than long and skinny like most splinters are.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Ouch. I had my fingers crushed in a car door when I was little - broke my middle finger in 3-4 places. We were on the way to get ice cream. I don't think my siblings have ever forgiven me for landing them in the emergency room vs. the dairy that day. Hope it's ok.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Hubby's finger just finished growing back the nail, he smashed it w a rubber mallet. The ER poked a tiny hole in the base of the nail to relieve pressure. When the poked it it squirted a distance but then oozed for three days. He said there was virtually no pain once that hole was created, after that the pain was more like a bad bruise. He also broke the distal bone on his finger. If your nail bed is bloody underneath you shou probably get it looked at. I'm sorry it's probably painful for you.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hubby's finger just finished growing back the nail, he smashed it w a rubber mallet. The ER poked a tiny hole in the base of the nail to relieve pressure. When the poked it it squirted a distance but then oozed for three days. He said there was virtually no pain once that hole was created, after that the pain was more like a bad bruise. He also broke the distal bone on his finger. If your nail bed is bloody underneath you shou probably get it looked at. I'm sorry it's probably painful for you.
My mom had a similar issue years ago, I don't remember exactly what it was but something heavy was dropped on her foot. Her toe started swelling and it was very painful. We didn't go to the ER though... :biggrin1:

Ya see, my dad is a carpenter. Lucky us, he had a drill with a very small drillbit. He drilled a tiny hole in the base of my mom's nail and the same thing happened, blood started squirting out but after that my mom said there was no more pain. She healed up quickly after that and I don't think she lost the nail.

OP, do you happen to have a drill with a very small drillbit? ;)

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
My mom had a similar issue years ago, I don't remember exactly what it was but something heavy was dropped on her foot. Her toe started swelling and it was very painful. We didn't go to the ER though... :biggrin1:

Ya see, my dad is a carpenter. Lucky us, he had a drill with a very small drillbit. He drilled a tiny hole in the base of my mom's nail and the same thing happened, blood started squirting out but after that my mom said there was no more pain. She healed up quickly after that and I don't think she lost the nail.

OP, do you happen to have a drill with a very small drillbit? ;)
my friend did the same when she had something fall on her toe. well, her husband used a tiny drill bit, turning it only with his fingers, to relieve the pressure. she said no more pain after the pressure was released too.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
No, but I did crush my foot on Clove's kennel at 4 AM.

I lost a toenail a few years ago after I dropped a kennel grate at work on it. The grate was of course from the kennels for the 100 lbs+ dogs. I also crushed all my nails except my thumb off years ago when my hand got shut in a sliding van door.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finger still there... .Very sore today.

Well this happened like this..... I ate some chicken wings before bed last night. I had just changed the bag in the kitchen garbage can. So I did not want to put the bones in and have them sit for days.

So I put them in a plastic grocery bag, tied it shut and put it on the kitchen counter.

During the night, one of the cats got into the bag and took some out and picked the meat off the bones. So some chicken bones were on the ground.
When I let Buc out this morning he made a be line for the bones. He knew they were there and I didn't. I saw what he was after and grabbed him jamming my hand in his mouth to grab the bones. He was trying to scarf them down before I got it away from him. Since I feed raw, he is used to eating bone and knows to bite hard to crush the bone.

My finger got to his last molars. And he was trying to break bone. It is painful....

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I didn't crush my finger today but got it caught when I was taking my camper off my truck. I had a great big blood blister on the end of my finger which kept getting bigger until I stuck a needle in it and let the blood out. Have it bandaged up tight now so it does not hurt that much.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Oh, ouch... so painful... :( I hope its feeling better. Thankfully, I've never done it before, but I've seen it happen. The poor girl's finger was just barely attached. And that was from a door!

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Yeah I know how badly that pain is. My cousin accidentally slammed a door on my finger years ago (I was still in elementary school). Lots of blood, fingernail popped off, and we rushed to the hospital late at night. The nail was reattached and I had to where a thing on my finger for quite a while and had to have it removed a bunch of times a day to clean.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Ouch, that looks so sore. I hate hurting fingers- they throb with every heartbeat. Willow once did that- we were playing tug with a stick under the water and she bit my finger hard, thinking it was the stick. She took flesh too. That really was dumb of me- never play tug with a dog when they can't see your hand.
I once slammed my foot in a car door. That wasn't my brightest moment either.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
With my 7 month old (65#) pup, and me on crutches, I grabbed his collar to keep him from charging another dog. I could only get the "editorial" finger and the ring finger of my left hand under his collar. My plan, if it could legitimately be called a plan, was to get the weight off his front legs to achieve control of a froggy pup. I hadn't counted on him spinning like a dreidel, dislocating both fingers, and breaking one (the one us New yorkers use when driving a car). This happened at six bells in the afternoon watch, so I didn't even excuse of being half asleep.

I always advise people to avoid grabbing a dog by the collar. There are a host of reasons why there is almost always a better response. I should take my own advice more often.

·
Banned
693 Posts
I had this problem with my big toenail - got stepped on by a horse. Like your mom, I didn't make it to the doctor. A heated up needle went right through my nail and relieved all of the pressure straight away :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts