Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I took Annie to the vet this morning, but she's back home with me now. The vet was more than willing to do whatever I was prepared to do. However, he and I had a long discussion and I walked away feeling better. He said, and I knew this, that Annie is not dying of an incurable disease or even a deadly illness. And that her biggest problem isn't sickness, but rather just severe, crippling back pain. He mentioned the Deramaxx but said, as he did the other day, that it's the same as the Previcox basically.

He said, if I wanted to, before we went ahead and put her to sleep, that we could try one more pain medication that is a human drug, called Tramadol. He said it's a bit more potent than the Previcox and Rimadyl, and has less gastro side effects. He doesn't carry it, and is going to call it into a human pharmacy. I mentioned the Adequan injections, which he also doesn't carry, but he is going to order some and is willing to give them a try with her as well. On top of this, he has increased her Prednisone from 5mg's twice daily to 10mg's twice daily. He said that if she is having more inflammation lately, that will help cut down on it and may decrease some of her pain.

After hearing all this, I just couldn't put her to sleep yet. Not knowing that there was still another option out there that may relieve her pain. I wish he would've mentioned the Tramadol earlier, but I guess maybe he uses it as a last resort. I don't know much about the drug. It didn't help my guilt any that she sat up in the passenger seat next to me the whole ride home, just looking out the window as content as could be. She even barked at someone on a bicycle.

Anyways, that's the update for this morning. This has been one rough, emotional rollercoaster. Now I'm having high hopes that maybe this new medication will ease her pain and she can get back to some of the things she used to could do. If none of this works, then I guess I'll be right back to the decision of putting her to sleep. *Sigh*

Fingers crossed that this pain med works.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I sure hope this new med helps Annie feel better and go back to enjoying life. What a hard choice you have to make. I feel for you.

Thinkin of you n' the crew.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Tramadol is a pain reliever different from rimadyl and the other anti-inflammatories. It's one of the drugs given to dogs with bone cancer...so, yeah...it's a pretty serious pain reliever. It's one of the drugs we keep on hand at all times. We had a greyhound with lumbosacral stenosis and after the depo-medrol shots stopped working, tramadol gave him a few more good months before even that couldn't control the pain satisfactorily.

eta: With tramadol, I think there's a definite line between drugging the dog so they are pain free and can enjoy a good quality of life and drugging them into a stupor. In some dogs, the pain is so severe that you have to pretty much give them so much tramadol to conrol the pain that the dog is completely out of sorts...I have wanted to say goodbye before a dog reaches that point. It can cause a lot of drowsiness as well...I would use it with a light hand and give only as much as you need to provide relief.

Tramadol is on the $4 drug list at most human pharmacies, so you can get it pretty cheaply. We always fill tramadol at a human pharmacy (Target and Walmart I know for a fact have it on their $4 drug list).

Good luck...I hope you find some relief for your girl...

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lovemygreys, thank you for the information on the Tramadol. The drowsiness side effect is something that I will keep in mind, for sure. He did mention about starting at the lowest possible dose, before increasing it. That must be why. I want her pain free and alert, not drugged, so I won't let her get to that point. If it becomes to where she needs so much pain meds that she isn't living life, then I know that'll be the time to just stop everything and let her go.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
is Tramadol used instead of Deramaxx and Rimadyl....or in conjunction w/?....

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is Tramadol used instead of Deramaxx and Rimadyl....or in conjunction w/?....
In Annie's case, it's being used instead of Rimadyl or Previcox. Rimadyl had side effects, and didn't do much for her pain anyways. She's been on Previcox, and there was no noticeable improvement. So he is taking her off Prev, and trying the Tramadol instead.

I'm not sure if it could be used in conjunction with it. I would think that would be a bit much pain killer for a dog.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
the reason i asked on that was my vet had mentioned using it for Lacey, but they said along w/ the Deramaxx that she is on.....just called in to the vet for a prescription to be sent to WalMart from my vet and so we'll see....we'll start w/ just the Tram and see how that works and then if it either makes her to drowsy or doesn't help the pain then maybe combine (enuff Tram to help but not cause drowsiness and then the Deramaxx to help the Tram).....wish us luck, also, guys, she is starting to lose feeling/use of her left back leg....

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm so sorry, Tir. :( **Hugs** I'll keep you and Lacey in my thoughts. Hopefully the Tramadol can help her as well with her mobility.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Oh my goodness, I can just imagine the emotional roller coaster ride this has been for you!
But if there's a good chance that Annie can live a good, mostly pain free life, then I'm glad she's back at home with you & wish you both the very best! That's great that you have such a wonderful vet that will actually offer his opinion & suggestions like that & will put all options out there for you!

My 13 year old Aussie has been on tramadol - 50mg tabs 2x a day - for about a month now, or longer. It's made such an incredible difference for him! So much so that my hubby says George is acting like a puppy again & that he hasn't seemed so lively in years! He even went so far as to say the tram has literally saved his life as things were looking pretty dreary for him for awhile. Hubby may be exaggerating a bit, but for him to even take such notice says a lot. I'd say it has given him more quality time with us anyway.
George is also taking glucosamine/chondroitin supplement daily. And I'm no longer allowing George to climb the long, steep flight of steps to my bedroom each nite, which is very sad but I really think it became far too hard for him & he just wouldn't give it up on his own. I did consider doing the adequan injects, but in the end I opted not to.
Anyway, I do hope the tramadol has a good effect for your Annie too!

·
Registered
823 Posts
I like both Tramadol and Adequan. I have seen some great things out of Adequan injections, and I think the Tramadol will really help her. Let us know how she does, good luck!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about Annie...she has such a soft spot in my heart! One of the dogs I care for with my pet sitting is on Tramadol and it seems to really help her. I hope it can help Annie!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts