Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my mom volunteers for stray cat blues, a cat rescue. She told me today that there was this one cat i HAD to see. so i did, then i saw his next door neighbor. A black cat with a little white tuft of fur. He was the cutest and friendliest thing ever. I started talking with the volunteer and she said that this cat had lived with dogs.

the rest is a blur and the next thing i know, i had filled out an application to take him on a trial basis to see how things work between him and Rosie.

Rosie has been around cats since she was a puppy. She loves them, but when they play the chase game with her, she is a willing participant.

so does anyone have any good tips on Rosie and new cat introduction? I am going to keep them separated for the most party and slowly introduce them over time.

looks like i'll be breaking out the old baby gates again...

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I've just always let the cats introduce themselves, if you know what I mean. I have an area that the cat can escape to if need be, and let the cat decide when he wants to go see the dog. Having the dog on leash to prevent any "OMG OMG, new chew toy!" moments is even better.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Baby gate is the perfect thing...mine is mainly so the dogs can't get to the cat food and box. Besides the fact Mort is as big or bigger than either of my dogs, it does give him a place to go to get away, if he needed to. Butch and Mort were the best of friends the minute I brought Butch home. I guess I've been pretty lucky through the years...never had a dog or cat who didn't get along with the other species.

Never did buy into the "dogs and cats are natural enemies" crap. :D

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
As previously said, cat does all the approaching and you never let the dog chase the cat as this can escalate into something that is not a game (and can be deadly for the cat). Let the ct make ALL the moves. Have a dog proof place the cat can escape to. Never let the dog and cat be loose in the house alone together.

Patience and time.. restraint of the dog.. and showing her she cannot harm or harass the cat... and it is likely they will end up buddies.

I just answered this dog and cat intrduction question in the thread on "why do dogs hate cats" if you want to check it out.

Atka BTW LOVES cats. All cats. If a cat takes a swing at her she goes all submissive and walks away.. the picture perfect of damaged feelings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts