Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of years ago, I decided on a whim to pursue a degree as a veterinary technician. I have been working in the field for over 11 years, but for whatever reason, I decided to go back.

After two years of working 12 hour overnight shifts, having class during the day and averaging about 3 hours of sleep per day, I have finally become a college graduate, as of Friday night (5/8). :D It feels kind of lame to be so happy about it, since it's only a 2 year degree, but hey... it's what I have. :eek:

I take my national boards in June and my states ~8 weeks later, then I will officially be an LVT. What does that mean for me? Not much, sadly. I live and work in a state that does not require technicians to be licensed. However, it does make me a bit more "marketable" and will make pursuing another job easier. It also allows me to become a VTS (veterinary technician specialty) in either emergency & critical care, small animal internal medicine, anesthesia, behavior or dentistry. I've already looked in to adding on to my degree and earning a bachelor's, but I think I'll take some time off for a few months. Maybe by the beginning of next year, I'll be ready again.

So yeah. Here's to me (and the rest of the '09 grads)! :p

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
It's definitely something to be happy about!! You should be proud! Congratulations!!! :D

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Anesthesia would be fun to specialize in. XD I loved anesthesia. <333

Good luck! I found the VTNE's to be actually pretty easy, except for the random off-the-wall questions, such as osterich and fish questions.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Congratulations!!! That's wonderful. You worked hard and you deserve to be proud.

here's to you.

*raises glass* :D

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Anesthesia would be fun to specialize in. XD I loved anesthesia. <333

Good luck! I found the VTNE's to be actually pretty easy, except for the random off-the-wall questions, such as osterich and fish questions.
I am probably much less worried about them than I should be. I haven't started studying at all. :rolleyes: I need to get on it, if only for the stuff I don't remember much about or what I don't do daily. I work in emergency/critical care, so quite frankly, I couldn't tell you about a vaginal epithelial cell and what they mean. One of my friends told me that her VTNEs had an awful lot of marine mammal stuff in them; another friend said hers was mostly microbiology stuff. I guess I should find the comprehensive review CD-ROM and install it...

I'd really love to board in ECC, SAIM or behavior. ECC would be an easier task, since that's what I do now; it'd be harder for SAIM or behavior since I do not work with an internist nor do I have a behaviorist near me. I guess I'll take it one step at a time and figure it out as I go.

And thanks to everyone for the congrats. <3

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I am probably much less worried about them than I should be. I haven't started studying at all. :rolleyes: I need to get on it, if only for the stuff I don't remember much about or what I don't do daily. I work in emergency/critical care, so quite frankly, I couldn't tell you about a vaginal epithelial cell and what they mean. One of my friends told me that her VTNEs had an awful lot of marine mammal stuff in them; another friend said hers was mostly microbiology stuff. I guess I should find the comprehensive review CD-ROM and install it...

I'd really love to board in ECC, SAIM or behavior. ECC would be an easier task, since that's what I do now; it'd be harder for SAIM or behavior since I do not work with an internist nor do I have a behaviorist near me. I guess I'll take it one step at a time and figure it out as I go.

And thanks to everyone for the congrats. <3
If I remember right, there were at least three different versions of the VTNE going around the room when I took mine. I found mine fairly easy, of course I missed some that I probably should have known, and probably missed all of the off-the-wall ones. I can't remember what was the most common type of question (pharmo, micro, anesthesia, ER, etc.)...

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Congratulations!!!:D :D :D
I am so happy for you. I am certain you will be absolutely wonderful in your field. :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Huge congratulations to you!!!! Best of luck with the VTNE and state exams.

I'm in the middle of doing the same thing (working as a tech and in school to get licensed) and it's nice to see someone who has made it through as the schedule is absolutely beating me up. If you don't mind my asking are you in Jersey? That's where I live and it's the same thing where you are not required to be licensed, but I figure it will help with my ability to get a better job as well. Plus I live on the border of NY and I do need to be licensed to work there.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Huge congratulations to you!!!! Best of luck with the VTNE and state exams.

I'm in the middle of doing the same thing (working as a tech and in school to get licensed) and it's nice to see someone who has made it through as the schedule is absolutely beating me up. If you don't mind my asking are you in Jersey? That's where I live and it's the same thing where you are not required to be licensed, but I figure it will help with my ability to get a better job as well. Plus I live on the border of NY and I do need to be licensed to work there.
No, I'm not in Jersey. I'm quite a bit more south than that. ;)

There was a time a few semesters ago when I was ready to quit. I was exhausted, my grades were suffering (I was still making As & Bs but not all As), and I was insufferable at work & home. However, it was my decision to go back and not change my work schedule; I sucked it up and persevered. I reminded myself that I was doing it for ME, and that I couldn't act like a jerk to my coworkers/family.

It was really surprising how fast it went by. Just when I was ready to wash my hands of the program, it was coming to a close and I'd survived. My one regret is that I waited until it was almost over to start hanging out with my classmates. Although there are a few that I've become very good friends with, I wish I'd have taken the time to get to know them at the beginning.

Keep your head up and your brain focused. It'll be fine and you'll be a better person for it. Good luck!! I am here for you if you want to talk about the program or vent or rant. Just shoot me a PM.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts