Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I also had an Australian Shepperd.

Neither one of them even came close to this puppy I have. She is part Treeing Walker Coonhound. Nobody really knows what the other part(s) are, but some say Border Collie, some say Lab, and one person said pitbull ( I don't see any pitbull ) Sorry if that is spelled wrong.

She's 4 months old and about 20 - 22 pounds I guess. We go on daily 2 -3 mile walks. Nice and slow. They take about an hour. That is not enough for her. She still has energy out the wazoo! So, on Friday we went on a 5 mile walk. She was not really tired out, but she was noticeably slower after the walk when we got home.

Then a buddy of mine called and asked me to bring the puppy over his house to help get my puppy some more socialization. So I brought her over. His dog is a lab.... we also have a lab and a golden retriever. He has a built in pool and so do we. My puppy has NEVER gone in our pool. She never wanted to, but our vet said it would be OK if she wanted to swim.

So for the next 3 HOURS my dog and the other dog were racing around his back yard and SWIMMING! Now, my puppy is a very bad swimmer, but she did her best in the shallow end of his pool.

So, all told, my dog had almost 5 hours of exercise / play..... and when it came time to go to bed, I could just tell that she still wanted our nightly exercise routine ( only about 15 minutes ).

So, I have had 2 of the dogs most known for needing to play / work / exercise. And they don't even seem to have come close to what this puppy wants / requires to get tired. I have no idea what I will be able to do to fill her needs when she is a young, full grown dog. My other 2 were happy with an hour of exercise every day. I don't think that will be nearly enough for this dog.

I'm getting scared. :wink:

ETA: so what do you do on a DAILY basis to wear your dogs out? This dog does not retrieve or show interest in frisbees.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I don't know much about coonhounds, or border collies, my 4 month old pup is part Kelpie, Border collie AND australian sheppherd, and I'm in the same boat! He has so much energy its ridiculous, but he does enjoy fetch/frisbee and dogparks/walks. I take him to the dog parks every day, or a nice long walk/run/rollerblade, I am en route to getting him into agility, hes started his first classes, but still.. even after walks, dog parks, jogs, rollerblades, he's still got tons of energy afterward. The only time he's actually passed out is when we go hiking for several hours. Once he is full grown I am going to get him to carry a doggy back pack to wear him out a bit more. In the house he's not bad, he either plays with his toys or we just throw the ball upstairs for him to go fetch(we have a 2 storey with vaulted cielings) and he just runs up and down 2 flights of stairs for an hour straight before bed time lol. Luckily he isn't destructive, but has high toy and activity drive!

·
Registered
647 Posts
ETA: so what do you do on a DAILY basis to wear your dogs out? This dog does not retrieve or show interest in frisbees.
2 hours of fast paced walking a day (3 hours if it's the weekend) and random daily trip in the empty yard in front of my place to run around.

In the winter, one hour of walking is traded with sledding.

That's every day.

He's never tired.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Our routine (noting my dogs are a 2.5 year old Miniature American Shepherd and a 3.5 year old Siberian Husky)
- One Hour walk in the morning
- At the end of the walk we let them off leash in the apartment dog yards and get them run (for some reason if you jump up and down in front of my mini she will play bow and run). Once our mini starts our Sibe isn't far behind.
- Play fox-on-the-stick for about 20 minutes. We attached a stuffless toy fox to a large dowel by a string and fling it around. She chases/catches it endlessly.
They then nap for the majority of the day. Quick potty break in the middle of the day. We also train, train, train throughout the day in little segments (10 min) to maintain attention.
- Another one-two hourish walk. We generally go to the park, around the shopping center, up and down the streets - all over really.
- Another run.

They have chew toys/antlers throughout the day to entertain themselves as well.

·
Registered
673 Posts
We live on 24 acres, and far back from the road, so generally it goes like this:

- 30 minute walk in the morning. Well, I walk. They run like mad and tackle each other and generally go nuts.
- Another 30 minute romp when I get home from work/school/whatever.
- In the evenings, if my boyfriend is home, we go for a leashed walk to the top of the hill next to ours. This takes anywhere from half an hour to an hour, depending on how fast and how far we go.
- On the weekends, if we're both not working, we go to a park and walk a good 6 miles.
- Fetch inside for Colt, Lucy has a better off switch and doesn't really need it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Pepper's a nice looking pup.

Well my new pup gets ornery if she's not exercised regularly. I'm working right now on deciding whether to get a scooter or a recument trike or a surrey but we're going to do some form of carting/scootering or something in that family. As it stands now we take her out on the farm & she just runs & runs & runs! She's only 6 months so I won't start her pulling a lot of weight yet but right now we're working on the early stages. My pup will go pounce on a stick if I throw it but she's got zero interest in retrieving more than once. She loves to run.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that its impossible to wear my dog out. He's an 8 year old Australian Shepherd. To get his exercise we go for a short half hour walk in the morning with about 15 minutes of fetch. Then we go out to the barn in the evening where he runs in the pasture and swims in the lake for about an hour while I get the horses ready. Then we go for about a 2 hour fast paced horse ride (horses going at a walk and trot on flat ground. And cantering up hills). Then when we get back he does some dock diving for about 45 minutes. When we get home he's ready for more chase the ball time for as long as someone will throw it. Plus he gets some training sessions along with the fetch time. So yeah he pretty much has an endless supply of energy, but I like him like that :).

I had someone come up to me at the park the other day asking how old my dog was. My dog was playing fetch and when he plays fetch he means business! Well this guy had a young australian shepherd that was chasing a frisbee. I told the guy my dog was 8 years old and his response was great so it never stops? They never slow down? lol

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I dogsit a Lab like that. He's 1.5yrs old and NEVER tired. However, I probably just lost him as a client because the owner found a dog daycare while I was away and he just ran around with the other dogs all day and came out pooped. But she says he still will come home and be ready for more. I think it's just a matter of teaching them they don't HAVE to be constantly go-go-go. Even if they never TRULY settle, they need to at least be taught to go lay down and chew on something, etc.

·
Registered
849 Posts
My Golden was like that. The area I lived in during her younger years was a great help. I lived on a lake at the edge of a conservation area. I spent about 2 hours a day hiking with her through the trails and forested areas. She is an orbiter and very biddable, so it was off-leash exercise. For every mile I walked, she likely ran 3 in circles around me. Weather rarely stopped us. She swam a lot, in all but the very coldest months. Fortunately she was a fool for retrieving. Retrieving a tennis ball thrown out into the lake was great fun. On land, I used to purposely take her to a hill, and have her run up and down it to retrieve. The town was the type of place where kids still play outside and she was often a part of their games. I do not drive and she came everywhere with me in town, bank, laundromat, grocery store, library etc. She was welcomed in almost every place since she's very friendly, but would not be rudely so, no jumping on people. Even inside we played games of hide and seek and she was my go-fer.
Most people do not have that amount of time to devote to their dog's exercise. Sometimes I look back and wonder if I should have taught her a settle. I was in a lot better shape then though.
Now I'm researching other breeds. She's old and ill and unfortunately won't be here forever. I am getting frustrated with the description of exercise requirements. Certain breeds are stated to have incredibly high energy needs and then it is recommended that they get a one hour walk. Willow was about 9 years old before I could get away with a one hour leashed walk. It's confusing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts