Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a kong and my dog loves it but I want to give him some other things to do. I use the ball kong because that takes him a lot longer to get stuff out of than a regular one and he will work it for an hour or two sometimes.

How is the buster cube? I never bought it because it seemed expensive but I am trying to work with him and keep him VERY entertained when I leave (I wrote another thread about barking when I leave). He will play with his kong but anything else he doesn't really touch so it has to be very rewarding!

Any other good ideas of treats to give him that require work? I also need stuff to keep him occupied while I work during the day (From home).

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
We don't have one yet, but they look like a lot of fun! We have a large 1 & a small 1 in our small store, but they aren't selling :( I've been wanting to get the small one for DJ & today is his 1st birthday, so I'm going to buy it to give to him when I get home :D I think he'll really like it!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't even know they have a small one. I have only seen the large one. I think small would be better for my dog though.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
A common problem with the Buster Cube is that it rolls under furniture and you often have to retrieve it for them. Just hiding treats around the house can keep them occupied for awhile depending on how hard you make it for them. That game is called Sniff and Find. You teach the Sniff part first then 'hide' it in plain sight just a few feet away. Once he gets the idea of the game you start making the treats harder to find (windowsills, under cushions, on chairs, in the bathtub, etc.)

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I have the Molecule Ball. When we first got it I had to roll it around a few times, now Sadie knows she can nudge it, paw it, pick it up and toss it - she loves it.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I have the one they sell at Walmart for like $5. Its pretty noisy on the floors (wood, and cermanic tile) but its really strong, and I like it. Its round.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
We also carry Giggles Peek a Treat balls & they're pretty cool

http://toysandtreats.petedge.com/Zanies-Giggle-Peek-A-Treat-Ball-ZW20140.pro?parentCategoryId=195&categoryId=230&subCategoryId=907

The dogs can see the treats in the clear tube in the center & there's an adjustable opening at top to accommodate different sized treats.
There are all kinds of neat toys on the market designed to keep your dog occupied. They do seem rather expensive to me tho.

And like Tooney Dogs said, hiding treats around the house or room is real good too if your dogs not crated while you're gone.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sniff and find is awesome! Why didn't I ever think of that? I just tried it with my dog while I was home and he caught on quickly. I will definitely try that game when I leave. I just hope is motivated to look without me there screeching "find the treat!" in a high pitched voice.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I have the small Buster Cube. My friend's dog loves it and uses it often. My dog doesn't like it as much. He tends to move things with his nose rather than his paw, and that doesn't work as well for him. I'm thinking of trying the Peek a Treat. With treats he can see, he might be more motivated to play with it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I really like the buster cubes. I have 1 large and 1 small, and somehow I lost the large one that can't fit under any of my furniture. Scratches head and goes off to look for buster cube.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
We have a new toy called the Bob a lot. My dogs LOVE it. I feed them their meals out of it, as well as out of a few other toys, like the squirrel dude.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts