Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lurk on here A LOT, and I don't even have a dog yet?! I like to say that "I'm in between dogs right now" and I'm really tired of not being able to post and become part of the DF family. You'll be seeing a lot of me in the future when I finally do take the plunge. I just want to thank everyone here because I'm living vicariously through you all! Not too much longer though...

At least I know I have self control right? My wife and I recently had a couple of kids and I have the good sense to know that it just hasn't been the right time to get a dog yet... but it's killing me! I'm getting very impatient because I know I'm going to be a great dog owner, and I know my kids are going to love growing up with that special companion, but I never get into anything hastily.

Anyway, I'm probably going to get a Boxer because of its loyal and affectionate nature (especially good with kids), mixed with some other things like ability to protect if necessary, level of coat maintenance, intelligence/biddability etc. I do understand that they can be rather energetic... some might even say "a handful."

Are there other dogs that are exceptional with kids, but can be counted on to protect them if needed? (not like a Golden etc.) Is there a breed that is similar to a Boxer that I might have passed up... maybe with slighly less energy? Anybody have great stories about their Boxers to share?

Also, I just read through the entire "post a pic of yourself" thread, so I'll be introducing myself there soon... stay tuned! :wave:

·
Registered
915 Posts
Hey! I can't recommend any breeds but I can sympathize a lot. I won't be in the position to own a dog for at least a year, probably two years realistically. But nothing wrong with browsing petfinder ;) Good luck with the wait.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Welcome! I think now's a great time for you to join. That way you're informed BEFORE getting a dog! If you lurk here much, you'll see a lot of newbies get themselves into less-than-ideal situations that could have been prevented with some forethought. So kudos for doing your research first!

Sorry I can't suggest a breed for you, but check into health issues common in boxers. I know of one or two specifically that you'll want to inform yourself of.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm the same way! I COULD get a dog right now, but its not the best time... and won't be for about a year or more :,( haha. My parents have dogs that I watch a lot, but I figure the more I lurk on here, the more I'll know for when I do get the dog :D

I consider it research ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heck yeah! Power to the lurkers! It's good to know I'm not alone, and that it's the right decision in the end. Damn self control... it makes me anxious inside.

Mutts, thanks for the info and support!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Oh hey. You have a Draenei avatar picture AND you're from Lancaster! :p
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
I lurked here for months before getting our dog. It was a fabulous opportunity to learn without a huge sense of urgency. Self-control is great - my husband and I talked about getting a dog for over 20 years before the time was right ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Niraya, you're close but it's actually a Protoss High Templar... same developer though so probably have similar influences.

TWaB, I love your sense of style!

Cookie, what kind of dog did you get that lived up to 20 years of anticipation? Willpower FTW!

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Cookie, what kind of dog did you get that lived up to 20 years of anticipation? Willpower FTW!
Katie is a nine-month-old standard poodle that we've had since October. A poodle wasn't really on our list of possibilities (and honestly not a breed I would have ever considered), but after doing a great deal of research they seemed to be a (nearly) ideal fit.

I should say that for 16 of the 20+ years we had a cat. She was an only cat, if you know what I mean, and that's part of the reason for the long wait.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Niraya, you're close but it's actually a Protoss High Templar... same developer though so probably have similar influences.
It's hard to tell from the picture lol my bad. I know the SC world well enough - I dont play but the boyfriend does. I gave up on blizzard and moved to swtor!

·
Super Moderator
11,846 Posts
I went through a 17-year dog-gap and it's not easy.

mixed with some other things like ability to protect if necessary
Please don't count on this from any dog who is not professionally trained to guard and protect. Nearly any dog may have the ability, but very few will have the desire. We like to think, from watching movies and hearing stories, that dogs are naturally protective of their families - especially the children. From a distance, I used to watch our big lab (not a generally protective breed) physically place himself between my daughter and anybody they happened to meet while out walking. I was sitting on the couch watching a movie when I tickled that same daughter and she squealed and the dog, who seemed to be fast asleep in the corner of the room, was in my face in the blink of an eye. He settled down after my daughter assured him that she was unhurt.

Still, I could never be certain how he would react in a truly dangerous situation. Self-preservation instincts are pretty strong.

I have no particular breed recommendations, as I have mostly had adult rescue dogs of ambiguous parentage.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I vote for a Lab, Lab mix, or Lab rescue, also. My Lab is harmless (on purpose!), but he barks to say hello. Dog people recognize it immediately.... but strangers back away. A good, loud bark is a terrific deterrent and much safer than a dog that might bite.

In addition, a Lab has a very high tolerance for pain, as well as being very forgiving... so they are great with the abuse that kids may inflict.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the candid advice, RonE, I completely understand what you're getting at. I don't plan on formally training any dog that I get for protection purposes, but I figure some breeds are more genetically predisposed to being naturally protective of their family than other breeds. Obviously I would never rely on that to take the place of keeping a watchful eye on my kids or having a security system, but it's nice to have a confident and muscular boxer out in the back yard with the kids to discourage someone from jumping the fence etc.

Hank, obviously Labs are rediculously popular for a reason, but the research I did suggested that they have a similar energy level as a Boxer but with a much lower natural protective instinct. Am I wrong in saying that, or is there something else about them that would make up for this? They're a great breed, but unless they're much easier to handle, it doesn't seem like there's much difference from a Boxer except that they probably would help the robber pack up everything and load it in his car ;)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Read my join date. Read the age of my first pup ever.

You can do it!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I think boxers are great dogs. My aunt had one when her kids were little and he was fantastic with them. Best of luck in your research and in your wait! :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think boxers are great dogs. My aunt had one when her kids were little and he was fantastic with them. Best of luck in your research and in your wait! :)
Thanks for the encouragement G&L, I've been tossing around quite a few breed for a while now and I just keep comming back to the boxer. I'll be sure to create a puppy picture thread when i finally take the plunge!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement G&L, I've been tossing around quite a few breed for a while now and I just keep comming back to the boxer. I'll be sure to create a puppy picture thread when i finally take the plunge!
I didn't read the whole thread but oh yeah boxers LOVE kids. In fact..Boxers love everyone!

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Choice of breed is a personal thing, as you can see from the wide variety on this list. In fact, it is so personal that there are some folks who may love a breed, but would never adopt a puppy from that breed. From my perspective:

1. Boxers are young, energetic, and playful for most of their lives.
2. Lab pups are a handful, but very easy to train and very forgiving.
3. Boxers like 30 - 60 min. of exercise a day.
4. Labs will adapt to a 30 min. walk per day.
5. Labs turn from high energy to calm, almost abruptly, around 3 yo.
6. Everything is negotiable with the right training. Even a Golden can be trained to protect.

I like all dogs. But my personal reason for a Lab is the intelligence and the reduced energy/exercise requirements as an adult. My 11 yo Lab-mix is content to sleep 18 hours a day, and is healthy, happy, and energetic when I take him for 30 min. off-leash romps. That fits my current lifestyle.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts