Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my dad and I have been looking for a dog for a while, now. We've spent hours at the local shelter looking and even traveled a few cities away to look at some shelters. We were both really excited about it. It's been about two months since we've started looking.

So I find this Rottie/Shepherd mix and he's been at the local shelter about two weeks, now. Finally I'm like "Well...let's see if we can pull him out and interact, see how he is." So today we go to the front desk lady and ask. She's like "Oh, just fill out these papers and you can see him and it's good to go!"

So we fill out the papers. I'm really excited, now. We give them to her, and she looks at where we put out current pets. She says "Oh, in this county there's a limit to three animals per household!" and wouldn't let us see the dog.

This sucks! I didn't know! And now we've wasted HOURS searching for the right dog! I finally thought I found the right one and turns out they won't let us adopt him. Every time we've tried looking at a dog the shelter wouldn't let us! The first time was 'cause we have a cat and the dog was a "no cat" home. I know it's not the shelter's fault, but it's still frustrating!

Sorry...had to vent.........

·
Registered
637 Posts
Just lie on your next form and say that you only have 2 animals at home

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
There is so much hoarding of pets around the country that shelters, cities and counties have had to tighten up the rules. Most counties and cities require that a kennel license for more than 2 or 3 pets and everyone (including shelters) tries to ensure that's being done for the safety of the pets.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I can see why they restrict in this way. There really is so much hoarding. But honestly if it was me I'd probably put something else down as well. If I knew I could (and I would) give a shelter dog a good home I'd probably do the same.

Animal control is not going to bother someone with 4 well taken care of animals. It'd be a different story if you had 8 neglected pets...yah know.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Because that's responsible....

If I knew I could (and I would) give a shelter dog a good home I'd probably do the same.
Hoarders feel the same way

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yeah...I know it's not the shelter's fault and they have to do it. I know for a fact that three dogs and a cat would be no problem for us to take care of in our home setting; the cat only needs food and to be let outside, same with the yorkie. So it's really like I only have one dog because the other two are so low maintenance.

I think we're not going to stop looking, but we can't go back to that shelter 'cause they already know. Unless we lie and say one of the dogs or my cat died...but I'd hate doing that. o_O

In any case, the next closest shelter is at least half an hour away, and they also have a application filled out by us, so it wouldn't be hard for them to figure out it'd be illegal for us to get another dog. Gah. This. Is. Annoying. TT.TT

EDIT: I'm not a hoarder. I've just always wanted a big dog and now I've finally gotten permission and the shelters are having issues with it...It's one dog over the limit. And like I said before: Two of my animals are so low maintenance, it's like they're not even there...they just need a lap to sit on and some food.

·
Registered
637 Posts
i'd hardly call someone with 3 animals at home a hoarder....

id they are responsible people and caring people and have the money...and it sounds like they didn't just go out and buy the first rescue they found...it's called lying by omission for the betterment of the animal....I did it when i rescued my second cat

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
EDIT: I'm not a hoarder. I've just always wanted a big dog and now I've finally gotten permission and the shelters are having issues with it...It's one dog over the limit. And like I said before: Two of my animals are so low maintenance, it's like they're not even there...they just need a lap to sit on and some food.
Please don't think I'm calling you a hoarder. I in no way am.

My point was that hoarders believe they can always take care of "Just one more", so why shouldn't they "get" to lie to get around the new rule?

I agree that it uber sucks about your situation. Keep looking, you'll find your dog :)

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
That stinks :( But don't lie.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So what happens when someone turns him in for having more pets than is allowed? It's not fair to the new dog who just got a new home and has to be taken away because someone lied to get him or her in the first place.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I keep trying to find our county limit on pets, but with no luck.

Good luck in your search. We went through A LOT of crap trying to adopt a second dog. It felt like they were really reaching to find reasons to reject us, but that is there job and though it's hard to take, it's good that they're looking so closely and erring on the side of caution.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
So what happens when someone turns him in for having more pets than is allowed? It's not fair to the new dog who just got a new home and has to be taken away because someone lied to get him or her in the first place.
They simply make you buy the annual hobby kennel license. Your home gets inspected by Animal Control every 3 months or so (that might vary by city).

·
Registered
637 Posts
They simply make you buy the annual hobby kennel license. Your home gets inspected by Animal Control every 3 months or so (that might vary by city).
Exactly, although it would be hard for someone to pinpoint if cats were hers or not...i doubt she'd ever be caught. there's too much control in the world already. FIGHT THE MAN!

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Hoarding is a mental illness. Hoarders don't really care about obeying laws, and plenty exist in 'pet limit law' counties, just like dog fighting and other animal neglect, which is all illegal and still happens. I'm sure many hoarders get animals from newspaper and Craigslist ads. Pet Limits just keep good folks from being able to get a shelter pet that may end up being killed simply because someone arbitrarily decided that nobody could properly care for more than 3 or 4 animals. Many people here would agree that belief isn't true, and can prove their many animals are cared for. Why are limits so stupidly low, anyway? Why is the limit always 3 or 4 (or even less)?

Forcing someone who doesn't even run a kennel to have to buy a license and lose their privacy to random house checks just to get a dog over the limit is also stupid. I wonder how many owners just ignore the law, and then also go on to simply not license their pets in order to avoid being recorded. So the county loses money, people are encouraged to break the law, and more animals die because potential adopters are being turned away. Animal Control doesn't have the manpower to enforce such a law, it's easily ignored, and all it does is ruin the chances for many animals to find homes or foster care. Plus the law doesn't even solve any real problems.

I can see why they restrict in this way. There really is so much hoarding.
Nowhere near so much that the majority of animal lovers that aren't mentally ill need to be punished with arbitrary limit laws. Most people aren't delusional and obsessive compulsive. It's as useless as laws punishing people who don't fight dogs by not letting them own or adopt a pit bull or pittie mix (ensuring any poor dog of that breed type that ends up in the county's shelter gets a swift death for the crime of being alive in the wrong zip code) -- but many counties already do that too. Yet somehow I doubt dogfighters will stop abusing their dogs if we can just kill enough pit bulls. BSL and Pet Limits are classic cases of laws that don't actually affect the problem they're trying to prevent. We already have animal cruelty and neglect laws that cover both types of abuse.

Laws that preemptively treat all pet owners as threats (in order to attempt to thwart a minority of crazy people) instead of treating them as allies in the cause for saving animal's lives are self-defeating and don't do the actual animals any favors.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, those are some reaaalllyy good points! You should send that to my animal shelter. Doubt it'd change much, though...they're stubborn (S'pose they have to be). Thanks for the comment on it!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Geez i wonder what some people think of me I have currently 8 ferrets (down from 14 at one point) 3 dogs and a cat. I do understand the laws and rules too but we have no problem feeding,taking to vet, or interacting with them all.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think there is a 3 dog limit in our town also. I have a friend with 4 dogs & 1 cat. I think the town pretty much looks the other way, because I know several people with more than 3.
I'd rather see the rottie/shepherd mix placed in a home that really wants it, than sitting in the shelter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts