Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
You probably won't believe me for a few months, but his excitement at meeting people and dogs is actually a very good thing. For one thing, it's a lot harder to teach a fearful dog confidence than it is to teach an excited dog self control. Second, you can use that excitement itself as a training tool - people & dogs take replace food as the reward for good behavior.

You'll need help from others to do it right, but start by approaching another person/dog from a distance. The second he starts to get excited, turn him around. You don't have to physically push him around (and you might not be able to anyway, given his size), but you can body-block him into a different direction. A gentle leader can help redirect him, but given his size & temperament, I'd worry about damaging his neck. A no-pull harness (that clips at the chest instead of the back) does the same thing without hurting the neck, but remember that it's only a tool. You eventually want him to change direction because that's what you're telling him to do, not because you're pulling him there.

It's going to take a while, and your hands will hurt like heck, but eventually, he makes the connection - "If I stay calm, I get to meet people/dogs. If I get too excited, they go away."

The other thing you want to teach is good doggie manners. When introducing a new dog, introduce from the side. Be sure to avoid face-to-face contact - lead him directly to the other dog's butt (or vice-versa) from a 90-degree angle. Let them take turns sniffing each other out before letting them play. An infraction makes them go away - he only gets to greet a dog if he's polite.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts