Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I belong to another forum and there's a person on there who had an accidental union between both her dogs. She was told by her vet to wait until their bitch's first heat then get her spayed. No problem, and not bad advice if you are religious about keeping her safe.

This woman/has a mixed breed dog that they adore, and while they had company, he got the girl. She came asking for whelping advice which she was given by all the nice people on that board. No judgement by anyone cuz chit happens.

Well now she comes out and tells us that she is going to be freezing some of the sperm of her mixed breed for later on. WHAT? But this dog is such a wonderful dog! We want to have one of his pups someday! (Does this sound familiar?) Ummm hello? Your purebred dog is already pregnant by your mixed breed boy with HIS PUPS!

"But we're not ready to bring another puppy into the family right now. It's just not practical. I don't INTEND to use the sperm, but I want that option!"

If she doesn't intend to use it, why have the freezing done to begin with?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
*sigh* I will never understand some people.

My girl Rose is Blackie's daughter. Unplanned mating happened with a stray bitch that wandered up to our house one day. When I look at Rose, I don't think of her as "Blackie's daughter". They are absolutely nothing alike. I compare Blackie to a Rottweiler, but Rose to a terrier/hound, if that gives you any idea of how unalike they are. Out of the ten puppies one my have been like Blackie, only more assertive. Since they were mixed breeds, none of the pups LOOKED like him at all. Sure, eight out of the ten were black, but that was where the resemblence ended.

I'll never really understand why people want to breed their pet because "s/he is such a good dog". And? You can't find another dog like him somewhere? Blackie is a good dog, but what I like about him I could honestly find in dozens of other dogs from the shelter.

Here's hoping she never sees need to use the sperm.

·
Banned
414 Posts
Last year when my cockatiel was sick i had to take her to the vet every week for awhile to get shots. Every time I went people were in the lobby talking about breeding their dogs because they were so cute or smart or had papers. It made me so mad. Shelters are overflowing with cute, smart dogs some of them have papers. One lady wanted a Yorkie, any purebred Yorkie to breed. Our GSD has papers and you can bet she is spayed. There are plenty of dogs with health problems out there that nobody wants to take responsibility for. In fact the local orthopedic animal surgeon has had to take on a partner to keep up with all the problems from irresponsible breeding. You want to help cute, smart, sweet dogs with and without papers. Spay or neuter your pet and donate or volunteer at a shelter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts