Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend(ish) told me a few months back that he got a dog, a "pit bull". He told me he knew someone with a female and he had a few people tell him they would buy a pup so he figured he would breed the dogs. I talked to him and he agreed it would be best to get Ben neutered. Then he told me it wasn't actually his dog, so he had no say in the matter. Ok... nothing I can do, I tried to let it go.

Last night I saw this friend and he started talking about the dog. Ben never got neutered and he impregnated two females resulting in 17 puppies between the two of them. Ben is also gone. He ran away and no one is worried about it. He is just gone.

They sold the first litter of puppies as soon as they were weaned and eating dog food. Now the second litter is about a month old and starting to get weaned, so they will be gone soon too. I told him that it is illegal in Ohio to sell puppies before 8 weeks, but he said they weren't his dogs and there was nothing he could do.

As this conversation progresses, I am getting more and more frustrated. I am, however, doing a great job, IMO, of keeping my cool. This is impressive for me because I am quite outspoken when it comes to dogs' well being. Finally, I suggest that he suggest to the owners of the females that they use the money from the sale of the pups to get their dogs fixed. I told him getting two dogs fixed is immensely cheaper than raising litter after litter of puppies.

He tells me it doesn't matter, they are putting both mama dogs to sleep. It is easier than dealing with them, plus, they aren't all that nice anyway. At this point, I came very close to losing it. I simply told him that that was insane because none of this was the dogs' fault and they could be great dogs if they had decent owners. Then I walked away.

I just cannot believe the ignorance and the lack of compassion I see in people. Out of this situation we get one intact male pit running around the city, 17 pups that are at least half pit (I have no idea what their mamas are) in whatever homes would pay whatever they were asking, and two mama dogs who may be looking at being put to sleep for no real reason. How can anyone think any of this is ok? It is frustrating when people just really don't care at all. And there is nothing I can do. I am going to talk to someone and see if the idiots who let all this happen would be willing to give up the mama dogs and see if I can find a rescue for them, but rescues around here are just swamped and they won't have any chance at all if they are pit or anything that looks pitty.

It makes me furious and so sad that all these dogs have to suffer because of stupid people. Thank you for letting me vent. Maybe now I won't have to go smack these people.

·
Registered
307 Posts
They are killing a dog because it is easier than "dealing" with it? Good Lord, I hope these people don't have children! That is not the solution. The solution is training and, as a last result, rehoming to someone who WILL train AND spay the girls and neuter the boys. I will freely admit Ludo was not neutered until he was 1 year but he also came into NO contact with an unspayed female and was NEVER outside unless on a leash or with me.

You held it together a lot longer than I would have. You just don't treat animals like that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts