Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ace and Colby were out playing frisbee with my fiance on Friday afternoon and all was going well. Ace was on leash because he sometimes tries to 'herd' Colby while she's running around, so FI was trying to do his best to physical restrain him while training him that it's not acceptable to herd her. At some point Colby got too close and Ace, in full herding mode, T-boned her and nipped her on her ribs. He hit her just right (or wrong) and because she was running so fast, her skin tore. She let out a yelp and immediately laid down (posed for FI to throw the 'bee again). Luckily, we were able to get an emergency appointment at our vet, who shaved her and put 5 staples in her side. I am so thankful it was not more serious...like, no orthopedic injuries. She's going to be fine, but for the next week, she is not allowed to run or take part in any off-leash outdoor activity and we have to keep her walks really short.

I'm not sure if this is too morbid, but I took a before and after photo of her injury if anyone is interested in seeing it.
ETA: I didn't add the photos before. Here you go...
BEFORE:

AFTER:

We've been working on some distance training in the house (i.e. sending her into a different room and then having her do sit/down/stand in place) and trying to perfect her stick em up/bang trick, but I'm starting to run out of ideas.

I have been going back and forth on whether to post about this because I don't want anyone to think I'm a bad pet mom, but I figured I'd share and hopefully you guys can give me some insight. I am certain that Ace didn't bite her out of malice and there's no bad blood between them. In fact, they're currently curled up on the floor together, but I'm feeling like the worst trainer on the planet. There are so many "Ifs" I could get into (and have over the weekend), but is there anyone out there that something like this has happened to? Also, if you can think of any complicated tricks we can teach Colby over the next week, I would really appreciate it!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
SSSS D:

Glad everything is alright now.
owowowowww

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
You are not a bad owner, or trainer. Things happen - with dogs, with cats, with kids. This was an accident, and it sucks, and you're obviously going to be working with Ace and more training but - really, sometimes crap just happens and there is no fault.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Ouch!!! Poor girl. I would call that an accident from rough play ... something I am always in fear of with my big dog when it comes to playing with the little dog. :(

I am just glad she is going to be OK! :)

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
You are not a bad owner, or trainer. Things happen - with dogs, with cats, with kids. This was an accident, and it sucks, and you're obviously going to be working with Ace and more training but - really, sometimes crap just happens and there is no fault.
This^^^ (too short)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts