Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been planning to go there all year. This summer, after graduation and before throwing myself into a new job, I was going to go backpack camping along Pictured Rocks.

Looked at tons of pictures, talked to people who went there, got myself so excited for it.

Went online to look at fees - and BOOM.

"No dogs allowed. Dogs may become lost, injured, or intimidate other hikers."

Thanks to all the "responsible" dog owners who let their out-of-control dogs run around off-leash. Thanks for ruining it for the rest of us. :(

Arrrrgh. That was my big summer trip. Now I'll have to go hiking somewhere not as fun.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
That sucks. Although... many parks don't allow dogs not necessarily due to irresponsible owners per se but for the protection of wildlife (for example, canine diseases being spread to wolves) or because the terrain is unsuitable. Parks with high level predator species may have had incidents in the past with pets, even leashed pets or those around a campsite.

As far as I know, the Hiawatha National Forest allows leashed dogs and its right there in the same area. Also the Huron-Manistee National Forest in lower MI.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts