Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and any dog that looks like a pit and doesn't have papers stating otherwise, will be DNA tested at the expense of the owner and if the owner refuses because of monetary issues the dog will be seized and put to sleep. and if the dog is found to be a positive DNA match, it will be classified as a dangerous dog and the owner must pay a annual 500 dollar fine and put up 7 foot cyclone wire fencing and never remove the dog from its yard, and if the owner cannot abide by council rules, the dog will be destroyed.

THIS IS INSANE!!!!

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Welcome to BSL.......I think Australia is a beautiful country but I have definitely checked it off of the list of places I will ever live

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I know how you feel. I always wanted an amstaff, but BSL put a damper on that.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Crazy. Of course, they also require most greyhounds to be muzzled in public so I don't have a very high opinion of Aussie law makers. Common sense seems to be lacking...

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
greyhound muzzles are for their own protection, so they cannot be blamed for any kind of bad behaviour resulting in injury to 2nd parties.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Greyhounds were gettign a bad wrap fromthe public in the 70's about the fact that they are trainedto chase a small animal in order to race, and the public was creating ideas that made greyhounds seem like killing machines. so to protect the greyhound name, they decided that it should be law to introduce muzzles so that the innocent greyhound should not be banned and hence ruin the name of the dog and sport.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Greyhounds were gettign a bad wrap fromthe public in the 70's about the fact that they are trainedto chase a small animal in order to race, and the public was creating ideas that made greyhounds seem like killing machines. so to protect the greyhound name, they decided that it should be law to introduce muzzles so that the innocent greyhound should not be banned and hence ruin the name of the dog and sport.
but there are many many breeds that are used to hunt ...do they all have to be muzzled?...was there hordes of greyhounds out killing?..what were they killing?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
but there are many many breeds that are used to hunt ...do they all have to be muzzled?...was there hordes of greyhounds out killing?..what were they killing?

It's because greyhounds are so high profile and bring in so much profit. they are the only professional sporting dog that makes it's owners highly wealthy. and due to their high prey drive they cannot be trusted with smaller animals (same as many other breeds of dogs). if a greyhound was to kill a small animal and a lawsuit prevailed, the greyhound business could be monetarily washed up and also its training practices (although sound) would be bashed publicly (more than it already is). So you see by muzzling greyhounds in public, it protects the dogs, the business and the public from losing a great tradition. whereas if some common dog with no name to it, was to attack and perhaps kill another animal, it would be destroyed and its owners fined. where as if a greyhound did the same, it could spell catastrophe for the entire industry. prevention is better

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
and due to their high prey drive they cannot be trusted with smaller animals (same as many other breeds of dogs).
You can say the same about GSDs, and yet mine coexists peacefully with 2 cats and bunnies are his only enemy...

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
It is just getting insane. We have so many bigger problems in this world to worry about and people chose to worry about what breed of dog people will be allowed to own. It is sad. :(

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
It's because greyhounds are so high profile and bring in so much profit. they are the only professional sporting dog that makes it's owners highly wealthy. and due to their high prey drive they cannot be trusted with smaller animals (same as many other breeds of dogs). if a greyhound was to kill a small animal and a lawsuit prevailed, the greyhound business could be monetarily washed up and also its training practices (although sound) would be bashed publicly (more than it already is). So you see by muzzling greyhounds in public, it protects the dogs, the business and the public from losing a great tradition. whereas if some common dog with no name to it, was to attack and perhaps kill another animal, it would be destroyed and its owners fined. where as if a greyhound did the same, it could spell catastrophe for the entire industry. prevention is better
If one lawsuit is going to wash up the entire racing industry.....then that industry doesn't seem to sound...if my pet greyhound ...whom is not a racing dog...happened to get out and attack why would the race industry be held accountable?

what about all the non racing greyhounds?.....I guess its hard to understand because its not as big here (at least in my state)...most of the greyhounds here are pets or showdogs.....I hate to see an entire breed pigeonholed because of just one aspect ...seems a little one sided

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
they are only required to wear a muzzle whilst still registered as a racing animal. once they are re-homed, they are not required to wear one.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
they are only required to wear a muzzle whilst still registered as a racing animal. once they are re-homed, they are not required to wear one.

ahh...I see

well still seems a bit dicey to me....but if the racing world puts up with it..so be it

its funny that the public would not longer be worried about attacks just because the dog is no longer register to race.....?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
and the brainwashing shall continue

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
We have so many bigger problems in this world to worry about and people chose to worry about what breed of dog people will be allowed to own. It is sad.
I agree with this..

Hopefully Alaska will not be pushed to BSL, thankfully our shelters don't put to sleep Pitties or breeds like them on purpous as dangerous breeds the second they turn up in to the shelter.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts