Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So here's an update! It has been going really, really well. I think it's safe to say we are keeping the rabbit. We had lots of training sessions and... well, here's the result!
(sorry for the crappy quality, these were taken with a phone) Mammal Vertebrate Dog Canidae Dog breed Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae Domestic rabbit Mammal Rabbits and Hares Rabbit Guinea pig
We named the rabbit Albus Dumbledore... since he looks like an old man with a grey beard, lol!

·
Registered
514 Posts
ETA: Oops, didn't see the second page. That's great that it's getting better! Just be sure not to jump straight to trusting the dog completely. Reading about prey drive is a good idea. Dogs can seem safe with smaller animals, and then suddenly... not be safe in the blink of an eye, if that drive is triggered (eg, by binkies or a sudden dash across the room). That second photo makes me nervous. It's up to the owners to always maintain boundaries.

Rabbits are awesome and so underrated as pets. There's a really good slideshow here with the rabbit basics. They are better off inside than outside. They need lots of safe chewing stuff. They can be litter trained pretty easily. You can get an x-pen on amazon for pretty cheap. The House Rabbit Society has lots of other resources, including a 101 guide here.

In your situation it sounds like a cage within an x-pen inside would be good. Just don't trust a pen and a cage to keep the rabbit safe -- crate the dog or keep the room closed off completely when you're not supervising. Is the rabbit neutered?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
ETA: Oops, didn't see the second page. That's great that it's getting better! Just be sure not to jump straight to trusting the dog completely. Reading about prey drive is a good idea. Dogs can seem safe with smaller animals, and then suddenly... not be safe in the blink of an eye, if that drive is triggered (eg, by binkies or a sudden dash across the room). That second photo makes me nervous. It's up to the owners to always maintain boundaries.

Rabbits are awesome and so underrated as pets. There's a really good slideshow here with the rabbit basics. They are better off inside than outside. They need lots of safe chewing stuff. They can be litter trained pretty easily. You can get an x-pen on amazon for pretty cheap. The House Rabbit Society has lots of other resources, including a 101 guide here.

In your situation it sounds like a cage within an x-pen inside would be good. Just don't trust a pen and a cage to keep the rabbit safe -- crate the dog or keep the room closed off completely when you're not supervising. Is the rabbit neutered?
Thanks, those sites are really helpful. I don't have a lot of experience with rabbits, so I guess I still need to learn quite a few things about them. Yes, we do make sure they are not alone together and stay really close in case something happens. Oscar doesn't snap at the rabbit anymore. We're still taking it slow, we kept them on the couch yesterday and still have a long ways to go before we actually let the rabbit roam freely in the room. The rabbit is not neutered yet. But now that we're sure we're keeping it, we will look into that, and will get him a nice pen. I have never heared about x-pens unfortunately, since I am from Europe. I'm sure I'll find something else like it in the hardware store. :)

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
That's a beautiful rabbit, I can't believe someone was just going to dump him. He does look like Albus Dumbledore.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
I was just about to say the same thing ... that rabbit is gorgeous! :)

Like others have said be sure to always supervise. My GSD pup was good with my bunnies years ago. Then one day as he became close to being an adult he suddenly grabbed my bunny and shook him to death. It was horrid. I will never know if he thought he was playing or just prey drive kicked in. Never be too trusting.

On a lighter note ... my childhood Terrier loved our bunny and never had an issue with it. Our bunny lived to a ripe old age with no mishaps. :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
I hope all is well with the rabbit/dog relationship.

Seriously, who lets their kids leave a rabbit out on a sidewalk to die?

The human race....wow.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.