Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out of town this weekend and left Snyder with my roomie. She interacts with him a lot, although I usually leave him with my friend (who is more of a dog lover) when I go out of town — maybe 3 times a year.

It warmed up a bit, so she decided to take him out for a run. She does this maybe once a week. He loves to go with her.

Someone she's never seen before was walking across the street with his unleashed dog. The unleashed dog bolted across the street and started growling at my dog, who apparently hung his head low, and wagged nervously. The other dog dove at him snarling at his neck.

She said she screamed at the other dog, let go of Snyder's leash and tried to push the other dog away with a fallen branch. The owner ran across the street, grabbed his dog's collar and yanked him away. He apologized and quickly left.

Snyder promptly started sniffing the ground and acted like nothing ever happened, though he did snarl after being bit.

My roomie says it was about the same size as Snyder and looked like a Pitt-X mutt (which is what Snyder is, too).

Now, I'm not sure how vicious it actually was, because I was freaked out a bit when she called me and told me, but there were no marks on him when I got home. Didn't freak out at her —*I made it clear it sounded pretty unavoidable.

He was limping a little bit, not wanting to put weight on his front right paw. I looked at it and didn't see anything. My roomie said he didn't start limping until she took him for a walk just before bed at 10:30. The incident was around 1 p.m. I got home at 10:45.

I decided to wait until the morning to take him to the vet. Well, this morning he seemed fine.

He wasn't limping, and he had a case of the zoomies before his morning walk, so he was running on it just fine. After the long walk he was still fine. We went further than usual since I woke up early to take him to the vet, plus I wanted to see if he'd start limping after a more strenuous outing.

I also squeezed a bit on different parts of his paw and leg to see if he'd pull it away in pain. He did not.

Would you still take him to the vet to get checked out?

The vet is open late today, so I could do it after work no problem if you think it would be wise to do it.

·
Registered
968 Posts
My dog was limping last month and I couldn't figure out what was wrong, I thought maybe he got something stuck in it like a thorn or glass or something but I couldn't find anything, I looked and looked and looked and finally, in between his toes, which was hard to see, his paw was swollen. Looked like he had been bit by some insect or something. I took him to the vet, he ended up having a staph (sp?) infection and was put on antibiotics. The only reason I decided to take him though was because he would not stop licking his foot which, to me, indicated that he was experiencing discomfort.

Has Snyder been licking his foot or anything like that? I would check in between his toes just incase. But I think that if he isn't licking his foot and in you can't find anything wrong in between his toes, then I wouldn't take him to the vet.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has Snyder been licking his foot or anything like that? I would check in between his toes just incase. But I think that if he isn't licking his foot and in you can't find anything wrong in between his toes, then I wouldn't take him to the vet.
He was licking his foot yesterday evening when I got home. He didn't do that at all during the 3 hours I was awake with him this morning.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hmm...well I'd watch out for the licking because if he does have some kind of infection in his foot, regardless of whether or not you take him to the vet, it will be hard to get rid of the infection if he's constantly licking his foot because it keeps the infection moist and makes it harder to heal

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll keep a close eye on him, and if he keeps licking, I'll take him in to the vet.

My roomie just e-mailed me. She is working from home today, and Snyder is out of his crate, obviously. She said she didn't notice him licking, but also hasn't paid attention to him unless he's commanded it. (He wanted to go outside about 20 minutes ago, but otherwise has been sleeping, playing with his goughnut or watching my roomie work.)

She said she'll keep a closer eye on him this afternoon, but he seemed fine and hasn't resumed limping.

ETA: Thanks for your help, btw. I was wondering if I was under-reacting by not taking him to the vet this morning. It sounds like I need to keep an eye on him, but it doesn't seem necessary to take him in to the vet otherwise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts