Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So when we first got Snow we never had any problems being able to pick her up as she would let us. Now if anyone tries to pick her up she does, like a whiney growl and air nips, well it actully looks more like she is back talking you. But we have no idea why. It started after her 4 days in a row trips to the vet.

Of all the puppies i have had, none of them have ever done this. Anyone have any ideas as to why she might be doing this?

She isnt leash trained yet, and i have been terribly sick so i havent been able to go buy a new collar, we had to cut the one we had cause the clip broke and couldnt get it off. So we have to pick her up to get her into the car. But she has no problems being picked up when we are out, ie: vets office

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I've honestly never had a dog that was okay with being picked up. (I'm including my mom's miniature poodles and bichons. Obviously, my 90 lb GSD mix wasn't being picked up ever.) It's really an unnatural thing for a dog, and I can see why suddenly being totally out of control of your body and up high would be scary.

That being said, you're sure it's not hurting her, maybe her stomach or back?

·
Registered
11,335 Posts
It started after her 4 days in a row trips to the vet.
I think this could be your answer. You pick her up= she goes somewhere she dislikes

Use a leash as a slip lead until you have an extra collar and use a treat to lure her into the car. Then take her someplace pleasant (even just a ride around the block), get out, give her a treat. Then lure back in with a treat and ride home.

If you do pick her up, make sure you are lifting carefully and not putting too much pressure on her stomach or leaving her legs unsupported (basically, make sure it is comfortable for her to be lifted)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
@Amaryllis: I usually pick her up under the front legs and with my other arm under her ( not on her belly) i guess easier to say as if i scooped her up( im not the best at explaining some things). It doesnt seem to sound like a pain type of whine more like a back talk.

I will have to try that. I had thought it could of been becuase of being picked up to go to the vet but didnt want to rule anything out. I will try that with her today since the flu has finally decided to fly the roost ( its nice to feel better lol).

Thanks for the tips shell :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ahh k i vary between that and my arm under her front legs. Ill try to just keep doing that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts