Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 month old pit mix...i have full control over him, listens to me and such, but when i leave its like he loses all his traning...my GF pointed it out today when i left the room she said he didnt listen any more but when i came back in the room he listened...how can i counteract this behaviour before it gets way out of hand?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Are you saying he won't listen to your GF? Does she share in any of the training?
It sounds like the dog has never been taught to respond to her.....you have all the control.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he doesnt respond to her, nor does he respond to my mother who does live in the same house....My GF does use the same comands as i do, in fact we all use the same comands...should i have her hold him down to show shes a boss in the house too?

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Dogs do not generalize behavior between places or people. What this means is that a dog will behave perfect at home, but when you take him somewhere new he won't do what you ask. You have to retrain him in about 20 different places before he will get that "sit" or "come here" is the same request, no matter where you are.

Same with people. Dogs do not generalize commands between people. 'Sit' from you is fine. He does it. You GF has to also train 'sit,' and your Mom too if you want the dog to generalize the sit behavior to their cues. Same with all the other stuff the dog needs to know.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Using the same commands doesn't mean that the dog will listen to the other person.

For example, my dog has a really reliable sit (with me) but when someone else tells him to sit, he looks at them like he's confused and then may or may not sit.

I've concluded that this is because since dogs don't speak english, when we give them a command they go off of the sound and tone of our voice. My dad sounds WAY different then I do, so my dog doesn't understand what it is that he wants.

ETA:

Elana55 said it better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts