Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you give your dog a snack or treats (not including when training)? I very rarely give my dog a snack or treat unless we're training. Should I be giving him snacks? What snacks or treats do you recommend? TIA!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I don't give treats for no reason very often.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
We are giving treats like crazy right now, but that's because we've only had Livia for a month and she has a few trust issues. Once her confidence level builds, we'll back off the treats. Loki was rarely given treats (except during walks as back up motivation!)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Depends entirely on how nice I decide to be. Sometimes I'm a real meanie and will hold something in front of my dog's nose, then eat it myself.

Anyways, my dogs get just about anything that's not toxic to them. The Shiba has a stricter limit on what sorts of treats he gets due to numerous food intolerances, but most of the time the dogs will get a small bit of whatever I'm eating. They get meat scraps, fruits, cooked veggies (nobody likes them raw), and sometimes things like small bits of bread or pancakes. The Girls really love pancakes. They get various things maybe a couple times a day.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Snowball gets extra-premium quality kibble (currently Orijen Red) as regular treats/in-home training treats, hot dogs or cheese at dog class, and pretty much anything that isn't toxic to dogs whenever we feel like it or when he's looking particularly sad. He also gets one dental chew after dinner, and a salmon biscuit after a particularly long or difficult training session.

As for how often, on days when we've been in dog class (like today) he gets very few treats for the rest of the day, because he gets a TON of very high-incentive treats during class. He might get a few on his evening walk later, especially if we come across another dog. Other than that, we give him a treat whenever we want him to love us extra lots (we've only had him for one month), when he's looking particularly sad, or when meeting a new person. Of course, he doesn't get ANYTHING, not even his dinner, without a sit-stay, a down-stay, or a touch; often we'll ask for more than one, especially if its something he REALLY loves (like his dental chews, or some meat from our dinner).

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
I don't really train my dog anymore since he's got the basics down and I'm lazy. He just gets treats randomly. Mostly stuff like chicken feet, marrow bones, milk yogurt. Other things include stuff I make for him. Then there's stuff I eat like hot dogs, peanut butter, rotisserie chicken, scrambled eggs etc. He gets things when I'm eating or as "appetizers or desserts" when he's eating. The chicken feet and bone I just give him when I'm bored.

·
Registered
147 Posts
When Hitch goes to my mom's house he gets some soft beef jerky treats, because my mom likes to feed them to him. I am starting to show my mom commands, so that at least he is doing something for them.

Hitch will get one of those youghund frozen yougarts a little after we go on very long hikes or sometimes if we have been out and about for a long period of time.

Hitch does not like to be groomed for a long period, or bathed, so I will give him a treat, like one or two Ziwipeak treats, if he is good.

He also does not like his joint supplement, so I give him a dognation treat after he eats it because I wouldn't want the after taste of something gross in my mouth.

I also will give him a piece of cheese or a piece of plain chicken if I am eating that. I will not give it to him in th dinning room, and I usually will try to remember to give him a command befor giving it to him.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
I very rarely give treats unless we're training. Sometimes I'll give the dogs a little bite of cheese or meat if I'm eating it, but I'll make them do something simple first (sit, down, even just a touch) so it's not totally free.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Katie gets a combination of treats (dog-specific and human food like hot dogs and chicken) and kibble when training (and that includes reinforcing good behavior like lying calmly on her bed or sitting nicely while having her ears cleaned). I will give her extras if for some reason she hasn't eaten full meals or if she's been especially active on a particular day.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Max gets one main meal per day and is retired from training. We just run through fun stuff before dinner these days. He gets tiny cookies when we play, a few dry meaty treats in a plastic milk jug to bat around for fun, 1/2 knifeful [it fits inside, spoons don't] of peanut butter rubbed inside a kong, licks out the ice cream bowl, gets the scrapings from scrambled egg pans and odd bits that fall to the floor or from my plate. He gets just about anything I eat but the amounts are tiny, mostly wouldn't cover my pinky fingernail. When he gets groomed, baths, nail trimming he gets a walk right after or sometimes a lick of a peanut butter covered spoon. Some days he gets 3-4 treats and some days nothing. Sometimes he gets it in spite of being a terrible nuisance but usually I ask for good behavior before he gets treated. Except for the dried lamb/beef lung nothing he gets is made for dogs.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
My dogs get treats when crating, ALWAYS for recall from the yard, jackpot treats if they were barking at the neighbor's dog or coming in from barking at a possum. They get a small treat when they go to their mats at breakfast and dinner time. (I place them in a down/stay on a small mat and they wait for a release to get their food). I also use treats to "trade" for their chews when I want them to finish. I use Real Meats treats, Wellness Treats and Natural Balance rolls and Fruitables biscuits mainly. Oh....and when training...duh! Cheese for training and pills.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Never. Or very rarely. Even when I give a piece of chicken from my plate it's a reward for sitting nicely, not grabbing food off me and staying off the couch while I eat. I never give a snack when they're misbehaving, so everything they eat is a reward for good behaviour.

They might occasionally come across a piece of cat food on the floor, that would be the only thing they get for free.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Our dogs get treats when they go to their kennel, and Faolan will get a PB kong every once in a while if he is looking bored and we don't have time to head to the dog park, but otherwise they only get treats when training.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have beagles and I work with beagles. Beagles eat (I was going to say "almost", but I will not) anything, any time. Therefore, they get treats during training and I always make them work for their treats but at the same time I subtract the treats from the food they get as a meal.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Mostly just for training. I started dehydrating meats and I am obsessed with it now so I will have a lot of dehydrated meats now. So I guess I will have to start teaching them some new tricks or something because I don't give them treats for nothing. Plus they are on a diet too.

Make them work for it :) Nothing in life is free.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts