Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smokey is one of my cats. The other day she stopped eating. She had rapid weight loss (she's always been a tiny kitty too, so that really worried us). We brought her to the vet and they had spent the majority of the time trying to keep her hydrated. Today I just got a call saying they did a test and found her liver to be failing.
We got her and her sister 10 years ago from a family that was getting rid of the cats because their dog was having puppies. They had actually been tossed in the woods behind these people's house as kittens that were 2 weeks or so old. Although the family that had found them saved the little kittens' lives, they really were horrible owners. One of the people smoked marijuana all the time and would blow smoke into the cats' faces all the time. They often forgot to buy cat food and ended feeding the cats dog food.
It was a really pathetic home for the cats and it was such a good thing we happened to take them.
Smokey was my mom's cat from the start. She always knew my mom was pregnant before my mom even knew... it was kind of neat.
Poor kitty, although she drives me nuts a lot of the time (she had recently learned to open the microwave and steal thawing meat and she was a big fan of peeing right outside the litterbox if we didn't buy the right litter), I still love her and it's breaking me heart.
We've already lost one cat back in July, and our dog two days before Christmas. Poor guys, I guess they need another one to come play with them. At least I know, she's going to have finally found her peace.

:(

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Aww, that's so sad. I lost my Ollie to liver failure in early 2007......I didn't know how old he was, because he showed up as a stray. The vet said there was no point fighting it if he was elderly, but if he was younger he might make it. I tried for about 3 days to get him to eat again, but it was too much for him and I had to let him go. Sorry that you have to go through this, I know how hard it is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts