Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little, my four-month-old Pom puppy, has started scratching at his ear... whining and crying all the while. Plus, I've noticed a pretty nasty odor coming from it, and I know that's usually a sign of infection. BUT I can't see anything in his ear. His ear is clean and dirt free... even gently wiping the inside of his ear results in no dirt. But he continues to scratch and whine... it's a mystery to me as to why he seems to be in discomfort.

He's going to have an appointment next week, and I'll ask about it then, but what do you think?

·
Registered
691 Posts
This happened with Chloe. I smelled something funky, but clean her ears a few times a week - there was no dirt, crust, nothing. But she kept shaking her head and scratching so I took her to the vet. The infection was deep down in her ear canal, and was spreading to her nose roll as her body was fighting off the ear infection and didn't have enough left to keep the nose roll bacteria free. I felt so bad that I waited a few days!

Good luck!

·
Registered
861 Posts
could be allergies...

tis the season.

a friend's dog had been having ear problems, but no crust/dirt. She took her to the vet and they diagnosed her with seasonal allergies. they might just let it go, or put your put on a steroid like pred.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Little, my four-month-old Pom puppy, has started scratching at his ear... whining and crying all the while. Plus, I've noticed a pretty nasty odor coming from it, and I know that's usually a sign of infection. BUT I can't see anything in his ear. His ear is clean and dirt free... even gently wiping the inside of his ear results in no dirt. But he continues to scratch and whine... it's a mystery to me as to why he seems to be in discomfort.

He's going to have an appointment next week, and I'll ask about it then, but what do you think?
A dog's ear canal is pretty long, and it takes a 90 degree turn halfway down. You can't "see" an infection in the lower ear canal where they start.

Scratching, crying and especially the bad smell says infection, I'd have a vet swab in down in the ear and take a look under a microscope.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Thats the same with Puddles, she was uncomfortable and scrathing but she had infection with no other outward signs. It doesnt take long for it to spread like Sunshyne said.. and it is way to uncomfortable for them to have to wait a week for comfort.. Id take her in today

Hope she feels better soon.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tori also has a chronic ear problem, for which she's been treated for numerous times, and you can easily see the dirt inside her ear... that's why I was confused I wasn't seeing anything in his ear. My aunt's two Poms have also been having this problem as well, with smelly ears and no sight of dirt. But hey, I know nothing about the anatomy of the ear, but I figure there was probably something deep down.

digits mama

it is way to uncomfortable for them to have to wait a week for comfort.. Id take her in today
Unfortunately, it will have to wait until next week. My father will have to drive me up to the vet's and the shift he's working doesn't allow him to get home in time to take us up there. Little isn't in a lot of pain... he just itches at it once in a while, mostly during the night. Any other time it doesn't seem to bother him at all.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Could be a yeast infection as well. Marley has gotten a couple of those in the past. You wont know untill you get her checked though. Hope she feels better soon!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts

I think I'd find some way to get him to the vet's sooner. If he's whining and crying while itching it, it obviously hurts. Ella just had a really bad infection down deep in her ear and there was absolutely NO outward sign, her ear looked super clean. I don't know if you've had an ear infection lately, but I have and man they hurt. I wouldn't want someone to make me wait to get relief :(

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I have a sneaking feeling it's a darn yeast infection. I wonder, could he have gotten that from my other dog? She gets infections ALL the time, no matter how clean we keep her ears. Oftentimes she'll be laying on the floor and he'll be rolling all over her face and sticking his nose in her ear... ew.

But like I said, there's no possible way to get him to the vet's this week. It's Friday now anyway, and they're closed on Saturday and Sunday... and you have to schedule about a week ahead of time. Plus, I don't think his case would qualify as an emergency. o_O

But anyway, I haven't seen him itching all day, so maybe that's a good sign. In any case, I'll call tomorrow to schedule and appointment next week and let you all know how the little (haha... Little) bugger is doing. :) Thanks for the suggestions! I doubt this will be a difficult thing to get rid of, and then he'll be back to normal in no time!

·
Registered
630 Posts
I dont know about the other ways of getting a yeast infection in the ears, but Marley got them when he would get wet and his ears didnt dry out properly. Dogs with floppy ears are usually more prone to them than others. Thats why its important to keep your dogs ears clean and dry. Ive even heard someone say that you should air your dogs ears out weekly. I have actually tried with Marley but he spaz's when I hold them up to long. The other day I took an elastic and loosely put his ears up. He was not impressed!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts