Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy is 8 months old. I’m horrible because I’ve switched his food 3 times already. I’ve been frustrated trying to find a good healthy puppy food that I don’t have to search for in different stores.
I recently switched him to Taste of The Wild because I was told it’s one of the best and it’s easy to find. But now he stinks. Does this mean TOTW is not good for him?

·
Super Moderator
12,163 Posts
Explain "stink." Is it gas or his breath or his coat?

How long has he been on TOW? (Which, BTW, is quite a good food, but no single food is going to work for all dogs.) Did you switch abruptly or introduce TOW gradually over time? Some dogs have a terrible time with sudden changes in diet.

TOW was one of many foods I've used over the years and I was generally happy with it. The most recent kibble I've used was Purina ProPlan. Some people are afraid of it because it's made by the same company as Dog Chow, which is not such a great food, but a lot of show dogs eat ProPlan and you can bet they would be eating tenderloin if they did better on it. Right now, I have just one 27-pound mutt and he's eating a fresh, refrigerated food. I could not have fed that to multiple large dogs without selling a couple of my organs.

I am reluctant to recommend any particular kibble because, again, there is no single kibble that will work for all dogs and there is always some trial-and-error involved, as you have learned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Explain "stink." Is it gas or his breath or his coat?

How long has he been on TOW? (Which, BTW, is quite a good food, but no single food is going to work for all dogs.) Did you switch abruptly or introduce TOW gradually over time? Some dogs have a terrible time with sudden changes in diet.

TOW was one of many foods I've used over the years and I was generally happy with it. The most recent kibble I've used was Purina ProPlan. Some people are afraid of it because it's made by the same company as Dog Chow, which is not such a great food, but a lot of show dogs eat ProPlan and you can bet they would be eating tenderloin if they did better on it. Right now, I have just one 27-pound mutt and he's eating a fresh, refrigerated food. I could not have fed that to multiple large dogs without selling a couple of my organs.

I am reluctant to recommend any particular kibble because, again, there is no single kibble that will work for all dogs and there is always some trial-and-error involved, as you have learned.
Thank you for your response. I did not introduce it to him gradually as I should have. He’s only been on it for 3 days now. The smell is like body odor. Not gas or breath. And it’s not that pungent after a while. Weird

·
Super Moderator
12,163 Posts
It takes a lot longer than three days to know if a food is going to work for your dog.

·
Registered
207 Posts
All three of my dogs eat raw. none stink, breath or coats..... One has gas that can clear a room, but since it’s limited to him, I feed them all the same still.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts