Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Smelly dog

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Mason 
#1 ·
I'm hoping someone has some information for me. I know this is a nasty topic, but....anal leakage. I have 3 dogs - Lab mix, Jack Russell/Beagle mix, and Jack Russell. The Jack Russell and Russell mix have anal leakage problems. The Lab never has had the problem. The two dogs with the problem occasionally let forth with the nastiest "fish oil" smell ever. Definitely coming from the butt, not other parts. (One's a neutered male and the other's a spayed female.) They both eat different food - one Purina and one Iams. The Lab (without the problem) eats Pedigree. It's obviously not the food. They have a clean bill of health from the vet. I've heard that this problem can be linked to needing the anal glands "expressed." My dogs do not present any of the other symptoms, though, besides the smelly discharge occasionally - no dragging the rump on the floor, excessive licking, nothing. Any input? Help with my smelling problem please!

#2 ·
deetz_81,

I am not a veterinarian but it seems your problem is the anal sacs. I would visit the vet and have him/her look at your dogs anal sacs to ensure that they are cleaned out properly. You could also do it, but I would recommend letting someone with experience taking this task on.

Not all dogs will show signs of their glands being full. However, that fish-oil excretion you speak of sounds like you know exactly what it is.

Hope this helps and post back when you get your answer.

Whit

#3 ·
I don't know about jack russells, but beagles are supposedly notorious for their anal gland problems. (I've heard this from a few different vets, as I have the same problem with my some-people-tend-to-think "beagle" mix.)

As whitk9 said, you might want to take them to the vet just to make sure there's no impaction of the glands. It could lead to a bigger problem if they are. The vet can probably show you how to express the glands. Not too difficult of a task, if you're willing to take it on. If they check out okay, you may just have to deal with the smelliness. If the expressed **** stains your carpet, couch, etc, enzyme cleaners work wonders. They take out the stain and the smell. I've also learned to use either air freshener or light scented candles (kept up high, of course, to avoid curious noses and happy tails).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.