Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We already have dog crates. (well-made plastic) But, what are the best kinds of dog crates in your opinion? We want the best for our dogs! :) We might even get a new Shih Tzu puppy. That's why we want crate choices. Especially choices for Shih Tzu puppies.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My dog prefers the plastic ones. She felt the need to crawl into a small, dark space the fall asleep (denning instincts) so the plastic crate was the obvious choice - a wire cage seems more like an enclosure and less like a den to me. Plastic crates are also airline approved.

however, ive got to hand it to wire crates to being versatile and light. They're collapsible and less cumbersome than a plastic crate. They seem like a good option for in-car crating.. the dog is enclosed but can still look out windows, as many dogs so love to do :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I already have (your opinion) the right ones then. :) My Pomeranian Guide suggests plastic or wired (with putting a blanket over it for darkness) for more cool air.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I personally choose the plastic, airline-style crates, though I've used wire crates in the past and have no reason to dislike them. My guy has his seatbelt for car rides rather than a crate (due to the vehicle I have available, not due to any aversion to crating in the car,) but if/when I end up doing a lot of traveling in my future, I might switch to the wire crates.

I don't think one brand is particularly better than the other, the important thing is getting the right size. Find out if the store you buy it from will allow you to return/exchange the crate within a certain number of days if it turns out to be too small, especially if it's for a small puppy who can't be taken into a pet store yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts