Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Understands he got the click for:
  • Front paw up/down/touching (offered and on cue) tapping/reaching (offered INCREDIBLY frequently and persistently), including while on his back or side
  • Bends at the waist, shoulder, and elbow (offered with some cued behaviors involving these things as that's how they were taught)
  • Walk/hop on back paws (developing control and mastery, offered frequently and on cue)
  • Head up or on the floor when lying down (offered)
  • Nose touching/pushing/"pulling" (wedging his nose in a crack to "pull" open a door)
  • Leaning to the left/right with upper body but not rolling over (offered, was precursor to full rolling over)
  • Licking (just offered tonight, quickly understood, no cue yet as I want to see if this wasn't just some fluke)
Does not seem to understand the click was for:

• Licking nose
  • Scratching with back paw while standing (attempting to capture balancing on 3 legs)
  • Tail waggging
  • Ear twitching
  • Eye movements (like blinking)
  • Head turned/looking at something
  • Yawning
  • The one time he howled while (I presume) he was sleeping
Looking at this list, it's interesting to me what he does/I have gotten to understand what still is a mystery.

Obviously, at least half of this is me and not figuring out how to explain it to him that he got clicked not for being standing, but because his tail wagged or he did an eye blink while looking at me.

Since dogs are aware that they are performing calming signals and wagging their tails (right?), I find it particularly interesting that I can't capture them, even if I give the marker while he's doing it and it makes him stop and look for the reward.

So something else is the connection he's making. Perhaps, taking tail wagging for an example, it depends on the wag. The broad/excited/right-leaning wag might be more emotional (and you can't reinforce emotion), but if I ever get a tiny wag, that might be a sign of a conscious choice to try to wag his tail.

Or maybe he is just better at controlling some parts of his body to do certain things. He can manipulate his front paws "like hands", as my mom would say, and can grasp he got a lick for giving me tongue action, but not for licking his own nose?

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
All I can say is, please let me know when you are able to cue ear twitching and tail wagging.

You can create nose licking and head turning behaviors by using lures though.
I suspect for things like scratching with back paw while standing, you might not have captured it enough times.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All I can say is, please let me know when you are able to cue ear twitching and tail wagging.

You can create nose licking and head turning behaviors by using lures though.
I suspect for things like scratching with back paw while standing, you might not have captured it enough times.

Working on it for the tail and ears. I don't give up easy.

The luring would explain the nose licking and head turns - i.e. I usually don't turn to it. :) I guess sometimes I do have to give him "hints", eh? :p

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Ooooh! I got the calming signal down with Leeo!:D

I just used to close my eyes slowly while looking at him ... close up in the face. I just "slowly blinked" with both eyes ... he would give me that signal back .... then huge praise ... a treat ... and the command "Wink!" very very excitedly... like he just took the world by the horns! Lol! I had not planned this in the beginning ... but noticed him doing this to me at times and took advantage of it. :)

I was able to get this on command eventually.

I didn't use a clicker with Leeo and Blu Boy. The clicker training was new to me when I acquired Abbylynn.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ooooh! I got the calming signal down with Leeo!:D

I just used to close my eyes slowly while looking at him ... close up in the face. I just "slowly blinked" with both eyes ... he would give me that signal back .... then huge praise ... a treat ... and the command "Wink!" very very excitedly... like he just took the world by the horns! Lol! I had not planned this in the beginning ... but noticed him doing this to me at times and took advantage of it. :)

I was able to get this on command eventually.

I didn't use a clicker with Leeo and Blu Boy. The clicker training was new to me when I acquired Abbylynn.
Nice, I'll have to do that and see if I don't get a similar reaction from Wally! Thanks for this idea.

KB, I just imagine you have a treat bag and clicker superglued to your body.
Heh - judging from my pants pockets having the stale remains of some training session inside them, that's not too far off. Half the reason I wanted a good verbal reward marker is so I can throw it out there while I'm working on the computer and I see him doing something and I can say "good boy!" and throw him a treat. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts