Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, some of you may remember a while back I posted a thread asking for advice on how to deal with my sibe's anxiety. She had suddenly developed a phobia of thunder storms, fireworks, etc, and it was getting crazy.
I got a lot of good suggestions and I'm glad as many people contributed as they did.

After being unable to really build something of a wooden structure or redirect her anxiety, I've gone with Melatonin, as it was suggested to me by several people and all the resources I read also suggested it.
Due to our recent drought I've not really had a reason to try it -even though the firecrackers might have been a good time to start, as they have been going off for over a week now -.-
But we got some storms recently, and while she was inside for the first two, yesterday I decided to try out the Melatonin. I was told 1 mg for every 20 pounds of body weight, and since she's in her 30's, I gave her a little under a half of one. I also put something in front of her house to cover the entrance.

Within about 20 minutes she had calmed down quite a bit and even yawned a couple of times and grabbed a chewy. She went into her house, laid down and couldn't be bothered again. Like I was told -and read- it didn't make her dopey, she didn't even go to sleep. She was just calm. Normal.
I don't recall the exact time I gave it to her, but it was still light out. Later last night kids started shooting off fireworks. BIG fireworks. She panted a little, but settled down easily.

I know this was just the first time using it, but I am already so relieved. She didn't seem afraid at all, and really that's what I was hoping for. :rockon:

Buuuuut, tonight's the big night. They'll be going off left and right. We'll see how our new-found relief holds out. Hopefully she'll be cool as a cucumber during it. I'll probably be putting a radio out there for good measure. And for Diesel's sake.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I am seriously happy to hear the effects it's having on your pooch. I have just ordered some for my dog also and it's great to hear someone else experiences. I have been skeptical as everything else I have tried hasnt worked. Even more excited to try it now! Hope the big night goes well for you and your dog!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
This is really great! I use a natural calming aid called Comfort Calm... it does not work as well as I would like ... but we will see with the conditioning. I am not sure we are having fireworks tonight. Most have been called off because of the drought. :(

Our fireworks show here at the lake is scheduled for this weekend ... if they still have it. I may try melatonin instead.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We're supposed to have a show tonight in town -and I live quite a way away from there- and do I plan to go watch it one way or the other.
But I know the neighbors here will be shooting them off like mad. They've already started. >.<

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
We're supposed to have a show tonight in town -and I live quite a way away from there- and do I plan to go watch it one way or the other.
But I know the neighbors here will be shooting them off like mad. They've already started. >.<
They banned fireworks from our community today ... or you will be arrested and taken to the county jail. Not allowed to burn either.

Have fun at the fireworks show! :D

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They banned backyard displays a couple days ago but I guess since we've had a few storms recently (which we desperately needed) they've lifted it. Or so I guess. either that or everyone's ignoring it, Lol.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Melatonin hey? Can you only order it online or can you buy it from drugstores or anything? I'm curious... Cash has serious loud noise anxiety, fireworks, storms, etc. This past Canada Day weekend with fireworks, and this whole week we've had thunder storms - and Cash has just been stressed out almost every night since Friday. I was considering trying a thundershirt, I've heard they work pretty good as well. Either way, I need to try something here sooner or later, its driving me crazy how freaked out he gets every time he hears loud noises.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Melatonin hey? Can you only order it online or can you buy it from drugstores or anything? I'm curious... Cash has serious loud noise anxiety, fireworks, storms, etc. This past Canada Day weekend with fireworks, and this whole week we've had thunder storms - and Cash has just been stressed out almost every night since Friday. I was considering trying a thundershirt, I've heard they work pretty good as well. Either way, I need to try something here sooner or later, its driving me crazy how freaked out he gets every time he hears loud noises.
I don't know if there is a special grade for dogs but I have melatonin pills for myself that I buy at the pharmacy.

ETA: We've had good luck with the thundershirt as long as it's put on prior to the storm/fireworks starting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can buy melatonin at the drug store like Walgreen or CVS. Most places like Wal-Mart carry it as well Next to the vitamins.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Melatonin hey? Can you only order it online or can you buy it from drugstores or anything?
I purchased it over the counter at a local dollar store.
It was cheap and worth every penny.

Aleu's fear was so severe she would often hurt herself in a panic. :\
I'm hoping neither of us will have to go through that anymore.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Okay, so I left for the fireworks show at 8:something. Apparently they shot off fireworks down here the whole time I was gone and they're still going off.
I gave Aleu half a 3 mg pill about five minutes before I left and it has worked wonders. Again, she's not dopey or groggy, she's not really sleepy either. She's just calm. This is so great, because these fireworks were the ultimate test of this Melatonin.

On a side note, I took Diesel with me. We arrived early and I walked him around. He got lots and lots of attention from children, which he just couldn't get enough of. he acted as cute as possible to get more attention. Then when the fireworks actually started I put him in the car with air conditioning and radio on. He sat back and watched, happy to see, happy to not hear.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
That is wonderful! I have got to try this! ... just as soon as I can get to town to the store. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I wish I would have read this earlier. That is great. I am going to have to get some. It was heart breaking watching my poor boy pace and pant and hide under the bed. I have calming aids but they make him groggy and then the next day when they wear off he is wild.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Ok done deal, I will pop over to the pharmacy and grab some. Now, my question is, is it 'safe' to use regularily? I mean, for the most part I know when we're about to be in situation(s) that might cause stress on Cash, for example, like when we go camping, sometimes fireworks are shot off without any warning, or someone shoots off guns, or other loud noises occur..or a thunderstorm approaches.. even if none of the above happens, but as a 'preventative' caution is it okay to give him a small dose of melatonin before entering into a potential stressful situation?

Or, sometimes we go to a friends house who have young kids, sometimes they play with firecrackers and the little guns that shoot off firecrackers.. and they do it out of the blue, if I know I'm bringing him over.. okay to give some melatonin before? Or if the weather channel says there is a chance of a thunderstorm during the day while I'm at work, is it safe to give some before I leave in the morning.. or same thing at night before bed? I don't want to 'over use' this drug.. but there are a lot of situations where Cash gets easily stressed out. It only ever seems to be loud popping or banging type noises like the typical fire crackers, fireworks, thunder storms.. or last weekend someone decided to bag on a metal garbage can lid and it freaked Cash out. However, Cash can sit next to my incredibly loud motorcycle and I can rev the living hell out of it in front of his face and it doesnt phase him one bit.. weird huh?

Anyways sorry for all the questions but curiosity got the best of me, I would like to try this, but I'm just wondering if its safe to use on a regular basis..also, how much of a pill is ok for each use for a 20lb dog? Any recommendations? Or should I just kinda go by what is on the bottle?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pretty excited for my order to come!! Sad... Excited about giving my dog drugs.
Haha! I saw a friend last night that asked where Aleu was. I said "She's at home, doped up."

Now, my question is, is it 'safe' to use regularily?
I've been wondering this myself... I can't predict what my neighbor's fruity children might be doing throughout the day, and just the same, we seem to be getting a lot of storms in the forecast. As well as it's working, I admit I'm a bit afraid to have to use it on a regular basis. I'm afraid of her maybe becoming dependent on it -if that can happen with dogs- or it having some other sort of bad effect on her.

If anyone has advice for that, it'd be much appreciated.

Anyways sorry for all the questions but curiosity got the best of me, I would like to try this, but I'm just wondering if its safe to use on a regular basis..also, how much of a pill is ok for each use for a 20lb dog? Any recommendations? Or should I just kinda go by what is on the bottle?
I was told 1 mg. per 20 pounds of bodyweight. I think they come in 1 mg and 3 mg commonly, but the only one I could find was 3 mg.
If you could find 1 mg pills that'd be great, but if not I think you'd have to go with cutting the pill into thirds.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Melatonin is safe for dogs with no medical problems. If your dog is on other meds, or elderly or pregnant check with your vet. My vet here is who recommended it to me years ago. It works great. Dosage is 1 mg per 20 lbs of weight, up to 3 mg. Giant breeds can get up to 6 mg. It does come in 1 mg and 3 mg pills, so make sure you check what mg your pills are (they look the same).

It can be used daily, if needed, but can mess up the dog's natural sleeping rhythm if used daily for long periods of time. People's and dog's bodies produce small amounts of melatonin naturally. It's what helps regulate your sleep cycle and tells your body when to sleep. It's not a narcotic though, and when used for supplementation, isn't addictive.

Melatonin won't make your dog dopey. It should be given before the dog gets anxious, if possible. (Like just before sunset when you know there will be fireworks, or when you see lightening in the distance and you know a thunderstorm is coming.).

Hollow Heaven- glad to hear it helped your dog out. Eventually you will be able to wean her off it. My Shep mix used to panic at loud noises like thunder/fireworks, and now doesn't need to be given any melatonin, after having good experiences on it for a year or so during storms.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Ok done deal, I will pop over to the pharmacy and grab some. Now, my question is, is it 'safe' to use regularily? I mean, for the most part I know when we're about to be in situation(s) that might cause stress on Cash, for example, like when we go camping, sometimes fireworks are shot off without any warning, or someone shoots off guns, or other loud noises occur..or a thunderstorm approaches.. even if none of the above happens, but as a 'preventative' caution is it okay to give him a small dose of melatonin before entering into a potential stressful situation?

Or, sometimes we go to a friends house who have young kids, sometimes they play with firecrackers and the little guns that shoot off firecrackers.. and they do it out of the blue, if I know I'm bringing him over.. okay to give some melatonin before? Or if the weather channel says there is a chance of a thunderstorm during the day while I'm at work, is it safe to give some before I leave in the morning.. or same thing at night before bed? I don't want to 'over use' this drug.. but there are a lot of situations where Cash gets easily stressed out. It only ever seems to be loud popping or banging type noises like the typical fire crackers, fireworks, thunder storms.. or last weekend someone decided to bag on a metal garbage can lid and it freaked Cash out. However, Cash can sit next to my incredibly loud motorcycle and I can rev the living hell out of it in front of his face and it doesnt phase him one bit.. weird huh?

Safe to use in the situations you mention. It can be bought in any pharmacy, usually next to the supplements, or sleep aids. Dose is 1 mg per 20 lbs not to exceed 3 mg. So give 1 of the 1 mg pills, of just a little less than half of a 3 mg pill. (They come in both 1 mg or 3 mg pills...make sure you check what mg pill you are giving).

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hollow Heaven- glad to hear it helped your dog out. Eventually you will be able to wean her off it. My Shep mix used to panic at loud noises like thunder/fireworks, and now doesn't need to be given any melatonin, after having good experiences on it for a year or so during storms.
This is what I was hoping for.
I thought maybe if she was able to stay calm during them, she would come to realize all is well and she doesn't have to worry.

·
Registered
943 Posts
That's great. I did a bit of my own research lastnight before bed on melatonin. My hubby is going to try taking it as well as he has serious problems getting to sleep at night, and absolutely will NOT take sleeping pills or any other kind of drugs.. but he seems to think melatonin is a bit more natural.

I like the idea that both hubby and Cash may not have to continue taking the drug in order for it to keep working long-term. Apparently its also not addicting, and you can 'wean' yourself/dog off of it eventually.

Unfortunately, a big storm hit yesterday while I was on my way home from work, and since my truck was in the shop and I took transit I couldn't stop to get any.. but it was much too late anyway. So Cash freaks out as normal, one thunder boom hit so hard and close it shook our house and set off car alarms in the neighborhood.. Thumper wasn't even phased by it..so strange. So at this point Cash had to follow me around, doing circles around me everywhere I went so I decided to try and get his mind off of it by running up and down the stairs, since he followed me up and down so many times he eventually got so tired he just went to sleep. It worked, haha and we all got a little exercise in the meantime but I certainly cannot wait to try the melatonin.

Thanks for sharing this great idea! I truly appreciate it. Hubby and I were talking a lot lately as to what to do with this poor dog and his severe noise anxiety.. he never used to be like this when we first got him it just sorta sprung up, and kept getting worse. Crossing my fingers this works :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts