Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't understand peoples attitudes around here. Just yesterday I had three separate incidents with small dogs off-leash with no sign of the owners. The dogs were all lovely, so it is not a dog behavior problem... it is an owner behavior problem.

Ok, the first dog was midday ish, when me and my neighbor were walking our dogs together. A little yorkie appeared on the grass and started following us. He was very friendly, but there were no patio doors open that he could have come from so we went to knock on doors and see if anyone knew where he came from.

The second door was the owner, and her reply was "oh yeah, thanks, he runs off after rabbits in the evening and we don't want to chase him. He usually comes back when he gets tired." So, from that I gather that not only do you let your dog run free around residential streets, he obviously doesn't listen to you and you let him do it at night. There are coyotes around the apartments here at night, who would happily take a small dog, and this dog had been out since the night before, because she couldn't be bothered to leash her dog or catch him.

The second dog I have had problems with before. She is the sweetest friendliest little thing, still a pup, and belongs to the apartment below mine. But she is never leashed, and would always rather follow me and Ruby than go back to her owner. Yesterday I went outside with Ruby and the little thing came straight up to us. Eventually the owner stopped calling her and came over and picked her up. All good. We walk around the corner and there she is again behind us. He eventually picks her up and we carry on. He takes her back around the corner. 2 seconds later, there she is again... Did he not get it the first 2 times that she is going to run after us if he puts her down??

And then late last night, I am taking Ruby out for her last time before she goes to sleep. I see a shadow on the grass and think it's just a rabbit so we go down. It starts barking... and I realise it is another neighbors chihuahua. May I say again... COYOTES at night. It wouldn't have stood a chance. It runs up to us, obviously wanting attention/hugs... poor thing. I pick it up and it is snuggling against me.

I take it up to my neighbor who says... "yeah she was annoying me so I put her outside"

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Reminds me of the neighbor's dog, or rather ex-neighbor (they moved a few months ago) where they'd let him out to pee/poop and his owner would just try to yell at the dog not to pee on other people's things (once he peed on a kid's football, imagine the surprise that kid got to find his ball "wet" on a sunny, dry day), and other times pee/poop in other people's yards, etc.

Putting a dog out because he was "annoying"? Probably just wanted some attention/play *sigh*

I've run into dogs like that - they'd rather follow me (and Wally) rather than go back home, even if their owners were there. Kinda creepy, and I often wondered why. It's not like the dog knows me too or anything. Stalkers in the canine world too! :)

·
Banned
220 Posts
I hear you! I dont want these dogs running into streets. The other day, we turned around to see a dog about 5 feet behind us, following. He was mellow and older and had a collar. Friendly enough to greet. His name, or the family name, was sewn onto the collar, along with a phone number. No answer either time. Someone drove by with a bunch of dogs and figured we'd need a leash, so she dug some rope up. Cut it, tie it to the collar and were going to take it in until we could call the shelter or reach the owner.
Right when we finished, two people drove by and pulled over. One woman was very grouchy and thought I was trying to steal the dog, telling me it always wanders around, it lives in that house 50 feet from us, and to just let him go. Very rude about it. I was just like "Lady, I dont want old Zeek' (or whatever his name was) to be hit by a car. Maybe the owner will think twice next time before letting his dog wander free."

If someone said their dog was annoying them, I'd say "WAnt me to take it off your hands? That way it wouldn't be wandering around the streets and possibly killed. At least put it in a fenced yard or on a leash or something...."

People wouldn't put their own small children outside like that-supervised in a yard, yes, never out front alone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts