Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed him losing a small patch of fur. In the spot he had a lot of dandruff. Now he doesn't have as much (dandruff) but it looks the exact same (couple of days now) It's no bigger than a size of quarter, it's on his back he can't scratch it. It doesn't seem itchy he doesn't nibble/chew himself. He's been on Benadryl since I found (I didn't give it to him this morning) the spot and it looks the same. The color of the spot seems a bit darker than the rest of his skin like purplish...
I'm wondering if he should see a vet or if it's nothing to worry about it. He's acting completely normal.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I'd at least call your vet and see if they think you should come in. I'd be worried about ringworm, which is contagious to humans and other furry pets in the household.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You see that's also my concerned.
But he's not itchy which I find weird.
Strangely my hands started getting itchy a day before I noticed it on him. Which might have been because of him but I'm not sure.
I take my 4 dogs to the same place (2 vets) yet were not "close" I just can't call and "ask" they'll automatically say "bring them in" without even hearing what I have to say. Which I guess they don't want to have to waste time on the phone. I've considered changing vets but they're only 5 minutes away from the house and have always diagnosed right and accept walk ins even on Saturdays.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
It could be ringworm or it could just be a hot spot. There are both natural and prescribed treatments for hot spots.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I was able to get him a appointment for today at a different vet clinic and apparently he has a fungal thing going on.
They gave him miconahex+triz wipes and malaseb shampoo. Hopefully the wipes & shampoo will help it and fur will start growing back. They also did a skin scraping but they didn't find anything else.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Those products work well. I have a Golden Retriever with allergies and he frequently has a bacterial or fungal infection on his paws or sometimes hotspots. I use those wipes and TrizClor shampoo a lot. Once my dog had a fungal infection in his paws even after taking an expensive anti-fungal the allergist prescribed. He then gave me a script for an even more expensive anti-fungal. Before I filled ir, I washed his paws in Trizclor shampoo and used the wipes frequently throughout the day after he came in from outside. When I took him back 10 days later for a recheck, it was completely cleared up. He thought it was the script but I showed him what I used and he was impressed at how well it worked.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm hoping Jr will get better.
It sounds like your Golden had it "bad" but I'm glad it worked.
I didn't have the money to do the culture test to send to the lab. And it's a new vet she was really pushing a test called T4 (I think) as well as Bravecto (flea & tick, which I'll look more into) But I'm hoping that Jr will get better even though it's a small spot and he isn't too itchy it kills me to see him like that but I also don't want to be having to go back and forths to the vets spending who knows how much.
But she did say they recommended that shampoo for dogs with allergies and apparently I can buy it year round and it's not a bad price at $23

1 - 7 of 7 Posts