Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,
So we had an 11 year old blind papillon dachshund mix that was pretty content with life. We got a new puppy and since day one she has had a chip on her shoulder for him. It wasn't too bad in the beginning and she would only growl like a wild badger if he walked into her. Now she will start growling and baring her teeth if she even thinks he's in the room and snap if he's within five feet of her. He hasn't done anything except run into her a couple of times and be curious about how she smells. We try to make sure she gets just as much attention as she used to, but we can only give her so much with a puppy around. The only other thing we've tried is scolding and that has accomplished squat. Now we just keep them in separate rooms 24/7. I figure we just stick them in a kennel together until they get along, but my girlfriend says it wouldn't end well at all. If it means anything, we got a cat too and she doesn't care what she does. Do y'all have any advice for us?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
How would you feel if you were an old blind person and someone threw a screaming kid into your house? Probably not very happy. It will take an adjustment period and no reason to scold the dachshund mix. Throwing them together would be a bad idea and likely end up in a horrible fight. You can try to crate them in separate crates next to each other but having them physically together is bad.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I figure we just stick them in a kennel together until they get along, but my girlfriend says it wouldn't end well at all.
Having lived with a blind dog and being careful not to move furniture in the home and watching the dog when turned loose in compound run and smack into our car parked in a different place there is no way I would have a pup anywhere near a blind dog.

As far as the "stick them in kennel to get along thing" I suppose you could do that and then video the whole thing and you tube it. I'm sure there are many Marquise De Sade fans out there that would enjoy the discomfort/torture/injury program of either the old dog or pup.

Rather than put the old dog through that I would rehome or PTS her, of course personally I would have let the dog live out her life as comfortably as I could and then added a pup after she passed on to the bridge.

My opinion on this is a tad biased since I am 6 days older than dust and understand aging a bit. (still got good eyesight though)

Oh, kudos to your girlfriend she sounds like a common sense type person.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I do question the reasoning behind getting a new puppy when you have an elderly, blind dog, but what's done is done.

I would manage puppy's behavior around the old dog as best you can. There should be no "walking into her," barking in her face, taking her food or toys, etc. Meanwhile, I would work on counter-conditioning the older dog to the puppy. Is the old dog food motivated? Get a very high value food - tiny bits of hot dog chunks or cheese, for instance - and reward the old dog for appropriate behavior anytime puppy is on the other side of the room, then nearby in the room, then next to the old dog, then calmly interacting with the old dog. Basically, you want to stay under the old dog's threshold to maintain calm, comfortable behavior and reward that liberally. If the old dog starts growling or barking at the pup, you've gone too far. Back the pup up, get the other dog calm, and start again. This will take many sessions. At first, you'll probably only be able to have the pup in the next room or at the far side of the room with the older dog. Gradually, over days and weeks of you want to train into the old a tolerance for the puppy's proximity. You're changing the negative association the old dog has to the pup to a positive one. And again, make sure puppy doesn't pesker the older dog.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts