Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one who is extremely annoyed when this happens? I hate taking my dogs to the park and somebody will have their "toy" dog in the big dog section. When that happens I'm constantly caught watching the little dog to make sure my dogs do not tear it's hide up and it is just frustrating!! Especially when the small dog is rather aggressive and barks/shows teeth and then you have to go get your dog and remove it from the situation completely. It's different when both dogs are of measurable size and get into it which is likely to happen now and then if you go enough because their isn't that fear of your large dog just grabbing the small dog and tearing it up.

I'm just ranting really but was curious if anybody else ever thinks this or is annoyed when a toy breed is in the same section as the big dogs? I'm always fearful of this because my dogs aren't aggressive but they tend to not like it when those small dogs get in their face barking aggressively.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I quit going to the dog park because people kept taking medium, large and even giant dogs into the small dog section which has a 20 lb. weight limit. I feel bad that my dog has to settle for on leash walks without getting any off leash time but when you ask people to take their high-prey drive huskies and giant St. Bernards to the large dog section and they outright refuse because they have an 'I'm a badass with a big dog to back me up so I don't have to listen to you' attitude, I decided enough was enough. I'm only sorry that I waited so long to quit going because now my dog is afraid of large dogs which ruins our plans of getting a medium-lg. sized dog once we get a house.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
My local park does not have a "big dog" side...there is the general play area (for all dogs) and then the "small dog" area for dogs under 25lbs or 35lbs (cant remember which ) ...

So no it never bothered me when I did go...as long as their dog was under control ....there is always a risk going to the DP so its up to the owners to police their dogs....if your running into this every time ...from multiple small dog owners...ether you need to switch parks and get away from that group or make sure that its not your dog that is being the bully to the small dogs ...is it possible that he is triggered by small dogs? maybe seeking them out?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
My female is anti-social and been that way her entire life, 15 months now and won't play with other dogs and just stays near my side the entire time.(although she will work with other dogs) My male dog is completely opposite and finds the "biggest" dog to interact with at the park and is very submissive and just lays over all the time! I worry about him at times because of the size of dogs he chooses to play with sometimes and he is only 8 months old. No, they do not go out and seek little dogs at all.

Edit: There is about 10 local parks but this is the best one!!!! Small dog portion, big dog portion, lake portion.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That would frustrate the heck out of me and I would probably say something about it, IMO. Although I'm guilty of doing the same thing. However my dogs were only 3-4 months old when taken to that part of the park. So still small puppies honestly which shouldn't and never made a problem. Good socializing with toy dogs as well.

It's more being there and watching a group of big dogs getting rough and playing with one another then somebody comes in and just sets their little toy dog on the ground and assumes nothing can happen to them. Some of those dogs could get trampled in a heart beat with 6-7 dogs all running a muck in one group chasing after each other and honestly..... It wouldn't be anyone's fault but their own, IMO. I tend to take my dogs out of the park when this occurs or take them to the lake portion since we all know toy dogs can't swim in the lake :)

·
Registered
801 Posts
I always thought the people taking small dogs to the large dog section were idiots tempting fate and to date there is about 1 small dog killed in the large dog section of the park I used to frequent each year. The large dog section has been nicknamed Thunderdome because of the number of dog and owner fights and the number of times the police have been called to settle disputes there. However, the people that bring large adult dogs to the small dog section are both idiots and jerks because they know they are just putting everyone else's dog at risk while theirs are safe. I never minded the large breed puppies in the small section but the last few run-ins I've had at that park with rude jerks were with owners of an adult St. Bernard, Standard Schnauzer and the worst was a Husky owner. Oh and then there are those with medium sized dogs that say their dog is too timid around large dogs so they bring it to the small dog section and without fail the dog finds its confidence and plays too aggressively with the small dogs and then it's the small dog owners that have the right to be there that are the ones that end up leaving for their dog's safety. I wish there was a dog park nearby that you had to pay to be a member of and that had different locks for each section that you had to buy a key for to get in so there wouldn't be such problems of people taking their dogs into the wrong section.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I'll be honest, in general this doesn't bug me. Teeny-tiny small dogs are one thing but in general small dogs can hold their own with larger dogs. My boy's best friend is maybe a quarter of his size. What bugs me is when people bring their small dogs into the large dog section and then freak out. Otherwise, if they want to take the risk then so be it, as long as they're understanding about it. I have a doberman (obviously) and am getting a corgi this summer. I'll either have to bring them to the dog park one at a time when I visit home or the corgi will be hoofin' it in the larger section. However, I'm not a run of the mill dog owner so that makes a bit of a difference.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
We have the problem with people bringing large dogs into the small dog section.

I actually may be one of the people you hate, in that I bring my 45lb dog to the small dog section, which has a weight limit of 30lbs. But with Kabota's lame leg and generally soft behavior, I'm just too afraid of putting him in with the GSDs and Rottis. They're 2-3x his size and they play rough. Kabota just wants to run. I do watch him like a hawk and step in at the slightest hint of trouble, but he's very tolerant of other dogs and will put up with almost anything.

Yesterday, I went and there were two black labs in the small section, and the usual collection of huskies, GSDs and rottis in the large dog section. I let Kabota loose to run and asked the owner why her labs were in the small section. (I asked nicely.) She said that all the other dogs were starting fights with her dogs. I ran and grabbed Kabota just as one of the labs jumped on him and grabbed his neck. She did not appreciate me slamming into her dog to get him off mine. "He's just playing!" Of course, none of the big dogs were starting with her labs, they were the ones starting fights, but she just couldn't go home.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
When i still went to the dog park I have been known to bring my dogs into the small dog section. The two I brought were 35 and 50 pounds, they were closer in size to the 5-20 pound dogs in there than some of the 100+ pound dogs in the big dog section.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I guess this could really go either way depending on the owner. I also should have put "toy" dog instead of "small" dog because I've had some Finnish Spitz that would play with the larger dogs and were considered smaller-medium around 25lbs. I know EXACTLY where you're coming from though on the owners who won't leave after an altercation it just ticks me off as well. I always leave if my dogs get into it which has only happened once and it was with each other over possession. Can't stand it when somebodys dog gets roughed up and told to leave so they go into the other section of the park to see if it won't happen again.

I'm just ranting though honestly. I'm more worried for my own dogs safety if something happened to one of those "toy" dogs I wouldn't want my dogs to be punished per say. so I just avoid it all together now and take them to the lake.

My dogs have a very effective kill bite from their experience out in the woods and all it would take is a split second for something to go wrong with that size of dog compared to a larger dog who just might get mouthed a little and no harm.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I have no issue.My dogs know how to play with small dogs. My friend has 3 chihuahuahs that put together dont even weight 20lbs lol. Solo my beagle wants to play with large dogs. His best friends at the dog park are mastiffs and great danes (and offcourse other beagles lol) My collie could careless about playing, So he is safe in either side. Our dog park doesnt really have a small dog section. Not that i would use it any way, as both of my dogs are medium sized (35ishlbs and 60lbs) There is a small dog section. But no one uses it as so. Its just a small fenced in area, that every one uses. We never ever have issues in it.

·
Registered
792 Posts
When I take our family's Westie (17 lbs) to the dog park, he plays on the large dog side. Why? He gets along better with large dogs and has more fun. He can be a bit of a bully to smaller dogs sometimes, but more importantly he wants to CHASE. It seems that there is always at least one dog loping around the large dog area that he can run after. The small dogs tend to skitter around and visit more (this is just my experience, I know it's not always the case), not to mention the small dog section isn't large enough for him to really run. Our park is small, and will have maybe 20 people in the whole area AT THE MOST. I make sure that I'm nearby and aware of his surroundings.

Video of Scooter with large dog playmates.

He wouldn't get to do that on the little dog side.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I actually may be one of the people you hate, in that I bring my 45lb dog to the small dog section, which has a weight limit of 30lbs. But with Kabota's lame leg and generally soft behavior, I'm just too afraid of putting him in with the GSDs and Rottis. They're 2-3x his size and they play rough. Kabota just wants to run. I do watch him like a hawk and step in at the slightest hint of trouble, but he's very tolerant of other dogs and will put up with almost anything.
Same here. Charlotte just doesn't have any patience or tolerance for large, ill-mannered dogs that attempt to bully her, and unfortunately you just see to much of that in the large dog section, so we started taking her into the small dog area where no one, not even small dog owners, EVER go.

I guess we're sort of lucky now though. Since then we discovered another dog park in town that few people go to and isn't all that well known about because it resides in sort of an odd location. The very few people who do go to this park are in the same boat as us, with dogs that just aren't all that compatible with other strange dogs, but need a place to let their dogs run off leash, and so we all respect each other and take turns with it. I'm going to miss it when we leave here.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I do know what you mean though, Jpepper. I see little dogs start fights all the time with bigger dogs, who are normally very dog friendly, by getting up in their face. Part of this is probably out of fear from having a large dog towering over them, but whatever the case it's really dangerous.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I can see both sides of this, at work we have a few small dogs that play in the large, that CANNOT play with other small dogs, they are too crazy and hurt dog their own size, but get along great with the big guys. then there is a several dog issue..I have 5 dogs- 4 large, 1 small, my small guy is always and will always be with large dogs, he is a total jerk to small dogs, and I cant be in 2 places at once.

OTH there is the danger issue, and not all big dogs are ok with the small guys.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
IMO a dog that doesn't belong in the dog park is a dog that doesn't belong in the dog park, be they 5 lbs or 50 lbs. Just because there was a small dog that didn't get along with the big dogs doesn't mean ALL small dogs can't get along with big dogs. And any dog that's growling and lunging at other dogs doesn't belong in either section at the dog park (excluding normal corrections and communication between dogs of course).

I've been known to bring Basil in to the big dog park if there is the right kind of crowd. He's 20 lbs, so he's not really "toy" sized, but he has gotten along with and played with 100+ lbs Newfies and Great Danes and such. It depends, though, because he doesn't like the overly rowdy, in your face kinds of dogs, ESPECIALLY if they're big. One time a large Collie puppy came up to Basil and just would not leave him alone, it kept sticking its nose in Basil's face and under his belly, and Basil was NOT happy about that! But he gets along great with most of the herders and spitz and sighthounds and such that enjoy running around chasing each other.

Sometimes in the small dog park if there is a tiny, extremely overly submissive dog, Basil will be a bit if a bully. So in that situation I think it's better to take him out of the small dog side and bring him to the large dog side where he'll get along better and not bother the dogs that can't handle that kind of play.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
The DP here is divided, but small dog owners still insist on bringing their tiny dogs into the large dog area. I watch in awe when they say something like, "Oh, he needs to learn how to deal with it," when their chihuahua is shaking under a table. If Bryna runs over a small dog while she's zooming about the dog park, I'm not going to feel bad about it: the owner knew the risks when they brought it in.

If a medium/large dog is docile and gentle enough to play in the small dog section, then I don't have a problem with it. Its all about being safe. If a small dog owner wants his dogs to "run with the big dogs," then they are responsible for what happens to their dog.

·
Registered
149 Posts
At the park I like to go to, there is a small section, a large section, and then an ALL section. I saw a few small dogs in with the big dogs and wondered if that ever bothered the owners of the big dogs. As a new dog owner, I personally just feel more comfortable with all small dogs around Arlo (who is 16lbs), but he has shown a few different times that he is totally OK with any size dog, as long as it's friendly.
So someday, we'll venture into the ALL section.

I can see how that would be frustrating-- on both accounts. But I definitely see both sides. If a dog isn't getting along with other dogs (regardless of size), maybe they don't belong in the park at all.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a large breed puppy... and me 'n a littermate's owner, have started a playdate between the 2 sisters once a week... A friend of mine has a yorkie/cairn terrier mix. We have 3 local dog parks. 1 3/4 fenced in, 1 by the air force base that is all dogs, and 1 that is 3 seperate*dog run, all dogs, small dogs*. We go to the bigger, 3 section dog park.

We dont do the small dog area in the dog park in respect for the dogs who are smaller then our puppies(even tho he has a small dog)... My friend Rick's dog is a year old and is well socialized with bigger dogs.

But once, a chihuahua was let in with the "big" dog area(general dog area) that went on a rampage and attacked a great dane, and the dane in self defense killed the chi by grabbing it by the neck and swinging it around like a rag doll. but mind you, the great dane was doing it in self defense and the owner of the chi tried sueing the dane owner, and lost. this happened a year or so ago, and i was told about this by several other dog owners. they now have a sign saying that if you own a smaller breed, and there are larger breeds present, that you enter at your 'n your dogs own risk. and that the city is not liable and there will be multiple of witness's present for in case of lawsuit. lol.

·
Registered
482 Posts
There aren't many dog parks around here, so the only times I've been to one has been while travelling somewhere. Both my dogs are medium sized (ACD mix is 45lbs, BC mix is 50lbs). ACD mix hates most other dogs and doesn't play, so she never goes in a dog park, there'd be no point, she wouldn't enjoy it at all and someone might get hurt. BC mix likes to play, but she's afraid of much bigger dogs. Her best buddy is a "Pomapoo", only 6 lbs! Molly plays really nice with that tiny dog, she lies down and lets the little dog climb all over her and "beat her up". It's hard finding dogs for Molly to play with, tiny dog owners are nervous of a much bigger dog and large, rambunctious, dogs scare Molly. She likes to play with well-socialized Pits, something about how they play makes her feels secure and she has a great time with them. So, we just generally avoid dog parks because my dogs just don't fit in to the general melee or on the big/small dog side. We only take Molly to them when travelling, she needs some running and there are no other off-leash areas available.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts